Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 03-07-2011, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by IT_Nana
I found it! The serial number is 827313. Can we figure out the year from that?
Wow, I wonder if no letter means your machine is older or newer than mine? What does the slide plate say? There should be some dates on the slide plate. My last patent date is May, 1913.

Nancy
I found a website that gives a little information on the Free Sewing maching company. There were several different styles made. I didn't see anything about how to date using serial numbers, though.

http://www.ismacs.net/free/home.html
Old 03-07-2011, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by HisPatchwork
Thank you everyone for your help and encouragement! I am piecing my first quilt on my Singer treadle, born March 4, 1919. It just turned 92 and it sews wonderfully! I was able to wind the bobbin too, must have had something too tight before...good thing because the bobbin was a little bigger than the one for the Serata and wouldn't wind on it. I am a happy treadler now!
I'm happy to hear you are using your Singer treadle and all is working well. These machines are fun to use. Have fun treadling!
Old 03-07-2011, 08:45 PM

Wow, I wonder if no letter means your machine is older or newer than mine? What does the slide plate say? There should be some dates on the slide plate. My last patent date is May, 1913.

Nancy
I found a website that gives a little information on the Free Sewing maching company. There were several different styles made. I didn't see anything about how to date using serial numbers, though.

I could be wrong but singer site lists serial number 827313 as made in 1871. Is that correct, anybody?
Old 03-07-2011, 09:28 PM

Hi !
I just got my grandmother's Singer, it is an old Treadle marked 191P. I think is Canadian. Not long ago she was trying to teach me on it and she would laugh because I would do it backwards.
Anyway, I would love to know how to thread it and where to find a new belt for it.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:34 PM

My youngest daughter found me a 'desk' for my 301 at the Salvation Army. After several reminders, I went to look at it. I had trouble finding it because I was looking for a compact cabinet- hah. The building was a coat factory in its former life. What she found me was a huge, heavy looking table with a hole and a large metal tray from the factory. It still has the treadle attached, but no other hardware. Apparently, there are more to choose from upstairs. I didn't want any, thank you. I'm hoping something will turn up this Summer. In the meantime, the 301's making good use of the serger table.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:04 PM

[quote=Weedwoman]

Nancy

Old 03-08-2011, 04:55 AM

Sewbizgirl, I got the machine last night.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by PaulahTX
Hi !
I just got my grandmother's Singer, it is an old Treadle marked 191P. I think is Canadian. Not long ago she was trying to teach me on it and she would laugh because I would do it backwards.
Anyway, I would love to know how to thread it and where to find a new belt for it.
I found my belt and the friction ring at a local Singer shop.{actually it is more like a small LQS that sells more than just Singers now} It used to be the Singer Center, but now is Sewing Center. I think I paid about $5. Because it stretches a little, I ended up using a tip I found here...after trying the staple a few times. I connected it with dental floss.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:54 AM

I can't find any other dates on it, but I need to take a flashlight and look underneith it. I'm not sure what you mean by the slide plate... Is it that round plate on the back that covers an opening into the machine? Mine is plain ... no dates.
No, the slide plate is under the needle -- what you open to get to the shuttle/bobbin area. My slide plate has a series of number printed/engraved in the plate.

Nancy
Old 03-08-2011, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by HisPatchwork
Thank you everyone for your help and encouragement! I am piecing my first quilt on my Singer treadle, born March 4, 1919. It just turned 92 and it sews wonderfully! I was able to wind the bobbin too, must have had something too tight before...good thing because the bobbin was a little bigger than the one for the Serata and wouldn't wind on it. I am a happy treadler now!
Congratulations HisPatchwork! You will not regret this journey!

Nancy