Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 03-25-2011, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
Originally Posted by purplefiend
Originally Posted by ssgramma
Help Please!

My 201-2 was sewing nicely until I just broke the needle. Now the handwheel is not working. Inner (is that the boss?) spins freely and makes the needle go up and down, outer portion moves the needle only a portion of the way. That is all by hand. Foot pedal just makes the wheel spin but needle is not going.

Does it not like either of the 2 new needles I just tried or is it something entirely different?

I haven't a clue and gave up to come here.
You may have part of the needle stuck in the bobbin case.
The needle flat goes to the left and threads from right to left.
When you broke the needle did you find ALL of it? I bought a 301 from Craigslist, really cheap. When I was cleaning the lint out of the bobbin area I found the teeniest, tiniest piece of a needle tip in among the lint. I wondered if that is why it was selling so cheap--maybe the seller couldn't figure out what was wrong with it. I hope you find your solution, soon, so you can get back to sewing.
Thanks - I'm fixing to go in. LOL

She was pretty oily so I haven't done that yet. I just cranked her up and starting sewing :mrgreen:

So I am headed to become more "intimate" with my new friend Miss MAM. Hopefully I cure her current ill with a good going over.

BTW The seller of this machine sent me an "Adjusters Manual for Machine 15-91" also applying to 15-88, 1589 and 15-90.
I thought it was just a printed out copy of the manual to save wear on the fragile original.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:46 AM

Does anyone know anything about the Leader machine made by A G Mason Co? The seller thinks its a 1930s Singer. A G Mason was only in business from 1870 to 1899 and this is definitely theirs. I posted pictures on page 857.

It's a pretty day for a roadtrip, but I'd like some input before I decide. It's $85. The cabinet is not as good as this picture in larger pics, but it's not bad.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:53 AM

Tara, love your machine, what a pretty cabinet. Happy sewing!
Old 03-25-2011, 09:44 AM

OK, take it all apart, put back together, everthing is fine now. So, it appears the stop clamp washer was backwards. I'm sure I put it in the way it came out when the new handwheel arrived and it did sew fine until breaking the needle.

Now it's on with the FMQ and trying to work out the tension, speed and turning issues so I can get past the rat's nests on the back. Some good but a lot of ripping!
Old 03-25-2011, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by ssgramma
So, it appears the stop clamp washer was backwards.

Now it's on with the FMQ and trying to work out the tension, speed and turning issues so I can get past the rat's nests on the back. Some good but a lot of ripping!
Possibly that is the reason for the rats nests, too. Hope you can figure it out.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:31 PM

Now I do most of my piecing on my Free Company treadle! I also have several treadles, like most of the people here in this shop! Welcome aboard!

Nancy[/quote]

Nancy,
Would you know what page you showed pictures of your Free Company treadle machine if you did post them? I have a lead on one in a treadle cabinet. Would like to see yours.
Thanks, Judy
Old 03-25-2011, 01:57 PM

Should I use a toothbrush with mothers mag cleaner on the metal parts with all the scroll work? Having trouble getting in the little grooves and details.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by dirty1mom
Should I use a toothbrush with mothers mag cleaner on the metal parts with all the scroll work? Having trouble getting in the little grooves and details.
Yes, use an old toothbrush and the metal cleaner...or toothpaste. After all, it is a mild abrasive. I actually have used toothpaste to clean things once in a while, just cause it is handy. IT works.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:14 PM

Thanks. I tried it in a little sot and it really makes a difference. Sometimes I hate being a Virgo!
Old 03-25-2011, 02:26 PM

I just got home with a Singer featherweight 221-1. It's in good shape with the case and attachments. I paid 300.00 do you think I paid too much? It was a silent auction at a thrift store so it went to a good cause. Where do I find the "birthday" info. The serial number starts AG82...isn't that what you look up?
Thanks