Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 04-04-2011, 02:51 PM

Anyone need attachments for a Singer 301? Check out ebay #300542707679 20hours left.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:19 PM

Well, the machine I bought off of e-bay arrived. This is my first and probably last time buying a sewing machine off of e-bay. I had asked the seller to use lots of foam peanuts around the machine and case. He used none. Shipped with no packing. This is the way it arrived - even in the post office they knew by the way it sounded - the cardboard box was all crushed.

So much for having a machine that says "made in occupied Japan." I will hold out for one locally.

Billy do you know where I can get, or do you have the hinges (that are completely broken) that hold the machine in the case?

Nancy

This is where the hinges were - now all broken up
[ATTACH=CONFIG]179722[/ATTACH]

Case broken, both top and bottom
[ATTACH=CONFIG]179723[/ATTACH]

She looks like she went through a war
[ATTACH=CONFIG]179727[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-179716.jpe   attachment-179717.jpe   attachment-179721.jpe  
Old 04-04-2011, 03:25 PM

What a beauty, it looks like it's in good condition. Lucky you!
Old 04-04-2011, 03:34 PM

Sorry you had such a bad ebay experience. The decals are neat and the faceplate is unique. You'll get her up and running. Hang in there.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:36 PM

Buslady -

I bought a 15 "clone" on ebay for ~ $40 + a pretty hefty shipping charge. It is a great machine and Billy says some of the "clones" are better than the Singers. You might try expanding your search to include some non-Singers.

Darren
Old 04-04-2011, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by qltndog
Beautiful machine, jtapp9!! I just recieved my 301 on Wednesday. I have cleaned out the old grease from gears and cleaned with kerosene moving parts. It was pretty clean to begin with. My question is: Do you grease the motor. And if so, how? My featherweight's motor is easy to do. Do you have to take the machine apart to get to the motor? Or is this one of the machines that don't need lubricating? Thanks in advance for your help.
Joni
You will find two grease ports in the motor, squeeze Singer lube into them and that's all you need.

Here's a link to a free manual for the 221 Featherweight.

http://www.singerco.com/accessories/manuals.html
Sharon W.in Texas
Old 04-04-2011, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
I had asked the seller to use lots of foam peanuts around the machine and case. He used none. Shipped with no packing. Nancy
This happened to me too, though mine was newer. It came with thread spindles, etc. all broken off--everything that protruded was broken.--hope you gave him a BAD review!
Old 04-04-2011, 03:45 PM

Tammy, very cute little white FW. What year is it? I have two white FW's - both 1964.

Nancy[/quote]

My white featherweight is also from 1964...it seems everyone I've talked to about these white 221's has one from 1964. Anyone have one manufactured in a different year? Just curious.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:47 PM

Bojangles,
I'm sorry that your seller didn't pack your machine as requested. I've quit buying machines from Ebay for that reason. I've had 2 come through with damage due to poor packing. They just don't understand how the package will be treated before it arrives. When I pack a machine for a customer that's in a case like that, I use flattened soda bottles in the bottom of the case; it sounds weird but it works great. Solid styrofoam sheets are much better than packing peanuts, they don't shift.
I recently sent a Pfaff 260 to Connecticut and it got there in one piece, the only complaint was that it took forever to get the machine unpacked. :lol:
Old 04-04-2011, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
Bojangles,
I'm sorry that your seller didn't pack your machine as requested. I've quit buying machines from Ebay for that reason. I've had 2 come through with damage due to poor packing. They just don't understand how the package will be treated before it arrives. When I pack a machine for a customer that's in a case like that, I use flattened soda bottles in the bottom of the case; it sounds weird but it works great. Solid styrofoam sheets are much better than packing peanuts, they don't shift.
I recently sent a Pfaff 260 to Connecticut and it got there in one piece, the only complaint was that it took forever to get the machine unpacked. :lol:
Wow, Sharon that is a complaint I would like to have!

Nancy