Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 10-30-2010, 09:46 AM

I love my 201K treadle(formerly handcrank) its so quiet and smooth. Its my favorite treadle to make quilts with. In
this picture you can see one of my featherweights sitting next to my 201K.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-115740.jpe  
Old 10-30-2010, 09:47 AM

Thanks Billy...I'm still waiting for a call back from the owner. All the ad said is that it was for sale for $75. Are the 201s good for free motion quilting? I had been looking for a 15-90 or 15-91.
Old 10-30-2010, 10:04 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Debbie B
Thanks Billy...I'm still waiting for a call back from the owner. All the ad said is that it was for sale for $75. Are the 201s good for free motion quilting? I had been looking for a 15-90 or 15-91.
The 201 is the smoothest machine you have ever used and they are perfect for FMQ!!

Billy
Old 10-30-2010, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
The 201 is the smoothest machine you have ever used and they are perfect for FMQ!!

Billy
In my experience the 15-90 is better for FMQ, the 201 is better for piecing quilt blocks and making clothing. I have both machines and never had much success FMQ with the
Old 10-30-2010, 11:11 AM

I sent Billy a PM. But, for everyone else the owner called me and said that the machine does work. That there is a small plate on the front that says 15-. With the serial # AM581929. Can anyone tell me what model & if it is good for FMQ?
Old 10-30-2010, 11:26 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=ADME:B:WNA:US:1123

I don't know if you guys will be able to see this because it closed today, but it is a pre 1900's hand crank Pfaff that sold for $39.99. Only one person bid on it -- I wanted to bid so bad, but the machine is in Great Britian and I did't want to ship it this far.

Nancy
Old 10-30-2010, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by cherrybsixty
I also notice that Darcene never sticks her head in the shop with something smelling good anymore. She must be on a diet and just too busy playing with all her toys. Just don't have time for the VSR. We miss you Darcene. We hope all is well with you.
Diet, schmiett.......I started a new job in the last part of Sept. I drive over an hour both ways and work an 11 hour shift....doing this three days a week amounts to a full time job in addition to my job here in town every other weekend.....no time for fun, sewing, quilting or housework anymore....but, somehow I am still managing to accumulate machines....I have moved two chairs out of the sewing studio to make room and there are still three more machines that are waiting to move in. Since I last posted on the site I have acquired a Singer 201 which needs some serious motor/wiring work, a 1939 FW 221, a Singer 66 red head treadle and a White Rotary treadle....both treadles work freely but the cabinet and irons on the Singer have been painted...the White cabinet is lovely but needs a good cleaning and some tlc ....then a good friend here in town gave me a Domestic Rotary crinkle finish and my sister picked up another Singer 15 in Ill...she will be bringing it to me in mid Nov.

Oh, don't tell my FWs but I have a new love in my life...I was working on a quilt for my gd's fourth birthday and I pulled out the 301....heavenly....I am so in love with this machine I don't know why I would work with anything else....now to find a set of attachments for the slant shank and who knows what else...maybe a zig zagger or a professional buttonholer.

I am going to be doing some serious photo taking of all of the machines and I will post a link when I start a new topic here on the board.....it is time to find another home for the majority of these machines....at this time all that I plan to ask for in the way of money is the cost to ship them out...with or without cabinets....I just want for them to go to good homes where they will be cherished.

I check in on all of you here in the VMS almost every day, I just haven't taken time to post...I will try to do better about keeping up.....it has just been so long since I worked this many hours and this old body and mind are tired.....but I am so thankful to have the work.

I love seeing all of the treasures out there....thanks to all of you for sharing photos and information about your pretties....
Old 10-30-2010, 11:41 AM

I sent Billy a PM. But, for everyone else the owner called me and said that the machine does work. That there is a small plate on the front that says 15-. With the serial # AM581929. Can anyone tell me what model & if it is good for FMQ?
It is a model 15, made December 10, 1956, in Elizabeth, New Jersey, with 50,000 allotted.

I am Free Motion quilting on a 15-88 right now and I love it. I am actually beginning to enjoy the whole treadling process, but had a hard time learning to treadle. I just went back and forth and broke thread! Now I am FM quilting a Halloween panel and I am basically doing thread play all over the motiff's! So much fun.

I have always heard that the 201 was the best machine Singer ever made, but I don't have one to compare to my 15 so I don't know which would be better!

Nancy
Old 10-30-2010, 12:26 PM

BoJangles, how did you find that? Can you FMQ on the 15? I see that you said that you are FMQ on an 15-88...is that the same machine? This is an electric machine and I think I found a similar looking machine on page 106 in the Vintage Sewing Machine Shop. It's green. I'm not sure if this machine I'm looking at is white or light green. Thanks for your info. Debbie

It is a model 15, made December 10, 1956, in Elizabeth, New Jersey, with 50,000 allotted.

I am Free Motion quilting on a 15-88 right now and I love it. I am actually beginning to enjoy the whole treadling process, but had a hard time learning to treadle. I just went back and forth and broke thread! Now I am FM quilting a Halloween panel and I am basically doing thread play all over the motiff's! So much fun.

I have always heard that the 201 was the best machine Singer ever made, but I don't have one to compare to my 15 so I don't know which would be better!

Nancy[/quote]
Old 10-30-2010, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by dunster
Miz Johnny, I'm interested in why do you think it's not a 201?
201 machines come in tan (rare) or black. Check out this site:

http://www.sandman-collectibles.com/...r-machines.htm