Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 11-10-2010, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
I have the treadle that your machine would fit into sitting in my garage. I was thinking about tearing down and painting the irons and restore the cabinet for resale. It is really neat how it all works and the way the machine raises when you lift the lid and the front folds in so you can sit and sew.

Oh and all those cracks in the japan is really in the shellac or varnish that is protecting the decals. It is called crazing and you can go ahead and clean the entire machine with the GoJo and polish it with the Liquid Gold.

Billy

I saw online a Two Spools in a machine like what you describe. Since my cowboy, Mr. Two Spools, is weathered and rugged, I will just keep him in the cabinet that my husband has cleverly engineered. There is something about the character of this machine. It may be that he has been living in dust for so long that I see no need to make his life comfy and perfect now. Mr. Two Spools looks very happy in his new setting- and he should be since he is sitting by two gorgeous ladies. Thanks for the information on the cleaning of the shellac. This may be it for his cleaning since his imperfections and blemishes are all part of his character. :)
Old 11-10-2010, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
Very nice and I like your sewing area. I have never seen a spool can like that thanks for sharing. You can see so many different machines on this site. Didn't know there were so many.
Thank you! My husband calls it my command center. I didn't know that there were so many different machine too. This machine's bobbin area is the "spool can" and all that is need is to drop a spool of thread in it. I wonder why this method didn't become the more popular (over the bobbin). It is so much easier. The thread companies could have made a standard size spool for the "spool cans" and then larger spools for the top thread like they do now. It could be something to do with different stitches and trying to achieve them, but for the straight stitch this is wonderful method.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:57 AM

Billy,
You could own a "Chevy".
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/atq/2048013162.html
Old 11-10-2010, 11:08 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
LOL that is a "Universal" if I am right, Koyo-Seiko made those machines and in the box you had various badges that you could put on the machine depending on what brand you sold. I know where one is still new in the box with all of the badges but the guy is not selling it to me yet. :evil:

Billy
Old 11-10-2010, 12:01 PM

That machine looks just like a Morse that I gave to a girl friend!

Nancy
Old 11-10-2010, 12:05 PM

I cleaned up the rest of the machine avoiding the decals and rest of the bed. My husband rigged up a way for the machine to sit into a Singer treadle. I love that smart man! Took a section from another Singer cabinet that was wider for the front, rigged up something in the one pin area where the pin isn't used (can't be used since it doesn't line up), and has one pin in place that does line up.
I love your Two Spool machine! I would not of even known they existed if it weren't for this site. I see your 201, but what is the other treadle? Do you use any electric machines? I know you have a FW.

Nancy
Old 11-10-2010, 12:43 PM

I finally got pictures of my Singer 72w19 hemstitch sewing machine. I have no idea what to do with it, but since DH got it for me I'll keep it.

Serial number w568268. It came with 12 needles, 9 bobbins and instruction manual.

under side
[ATTACH=CONFIG]123236[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-123231.jpe   attachment-123232.jpe  
Old 11-10-2010, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by JaneK
HI Miz Johnny,
I found my "new" machine at the Peddler's Mall just off New Circle! My daughter is in her 2nd year at UK (go Cats!) and we all love Lexington. My new 99K is at home now here in Chicago!
Jane
Ah, yes--I've probably seen your machine and told it hello as I dashed through there!
I'm sure my girls would have preferred Chicago for school!! My youngest is in school at U of Louisville; but my DH is a Cats fan.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by KatFish
I finally got pictures of my Singer 72w19 hemstitch sewing machine. I have no idea what to do with it, but since DH got it for me I'll keep it.

Serial number w568268. It came with 12 needles, 9 bobbins and instruction manual.
Geeze Catfish, I saw two different Singer 72W19's . . . . one on e-bay for $1900, the other one listed for $2800! I think that is one of the weirdest Singers I have seen!

Congratulations!

Nancy
Old 11-10-2010, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by KatFish

DH said it's a pretty neat looking machine, he could go for something like that. The mechanics is a working marval. It looks scary to me. But hope you get it running and let us know how it works.