That darn cat

Old 08-02-2014, 09:26 PM

You don't want the ones I passed on, one was a late mid 60's to early 70's japanese something , think of a dressmaker type. don't even remember what #2 was, 3rd is a octagon shaped crinkle paint white. This is the place I got this last singer 237
Old 08-04-2014, 10:21 AM

The cat ...

Cat got a good laugh ( at me) bring home more work. To get back at her. I did oil up Rusty / door stopper.. How will be know in QB terms as DDS ( Dear door stopper ). Once oild I put DDS next to her feeding station ( teh bowl ) well yesterday the sky was full of smoke, sun was blocked and a cooler day.

I went outside to give DDS and good check over and see what could be done with it.. ofcourse Cats ready for the show. The hand wheel was off, it won't go back on. someone had hammer the end of that shaft. I get out a large file and go to work.

By now ol cat in just cracking up ..

I removed the hammered flare on that shaft, The hand wheel went back in place.. But the machine is froze solid. no way it going to move with the rusted needle bar. Time to get serious, see if the screws will move. They did.

cat take a better postion to view all this..

with the head off, needle bar is in the head, like a white.. it turns free. now it's time to remove it's home made base and do the look see and oil ..

I could not believe how clean this is on the under side.. with an oiling it now spins as free as ever ...

My thoughts for ol DDS, now is to leave it rusted, clean the thread path, needle and slide plates. oil it's base. leaving it looking as close as I can to the way it was found, to show how nasty a machine can be and still work.

I'm starting to think DDS , is the early model for new Home, This is what needle bar calls these. meaning square bed conners and a Boat shuttle, opposed to the tunnel shuttle. I don't think those slide plates will be moving anytime soon. unless cat has a better idea..

That base is home made it looks like early 60's 1/4" plywood, and well built. The rust is a very heavy surface rust, which would be from sitting in an unheated building , not in the rain ..which is why the base and under side is still in such good shape..

I made a miss on posting photos

This machine is also a new home but a branded name sandia maybe Scandia ?? This had been in a flower bed for 2yrs when found and the sprinkler was going that day. it was nothing but a flaking rust, you could not even see any Black on it... it took 4 months of heating red hot to free it up and it does work..

I did this one 4 yrs ago, the steel was shinny,after derusting and polishing now has turned back to a dark stain, and is very rust pitted,,

Last edited by xxxxxxxxxx; 08-04-2014 at 10:27 AM.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:49 AM

like the hand crank and the cat!!!
Old 08-04-2014, 11:56 AM

Your DDS from the underside looks just like my early New Home. Is your second machine in the post about the same size as DDS, or is it larger?

I ask because I don't think your second machine is a New Home - its made by National, it looks very similar to NH on the top side, but is a bit larger and has the National tension release instead of the NH tension release.

I'm trying to find my picture of the two side by side - may be faster just to go take another LOL!!
Old 08-04-2014, 12:03 PM

found it! The one on the left is the National, the right is New Home.

Old 08-04-2014, 12:20 PM

ol sew. Like you I toyed for yrs with, what can I do to make these work. look like they may have been there from day one. I do have hand grinders, decided those where big bulky, turn way to fast, plus they have there own place in life, steeering wheel knobs, no won't look right .. by this era in SM life I had tossed out a 40's flim winder. it was a very hi ratio and had a two screw bottom mount. That could have / would have in a base like pictured above. sat just under teh handwheel, by making / mounting a small pulley , use a belt to drive the machine or lifted teh mount / base and use a finger like a singer crank...

finally I just turned some knobs, make mounts at the wheel spokes , These clamp to the spoke vis a bolt, washers and nylock nuts, that also act as a spindles for the knob. I made these clamps from some type of commercail elec clamp found at Bring (glenwood) there alum kind of a J or hook shape and cut off what wasn't needed, I sure they still have those in there elec rack. you know the place ( bing)
this was on the single spoke wheels

In that pic it's a new home which have a Y shaped spoke. I use two small pieces of lexan, (easy to work with). Lets call these washers, that fit snuggly in both side of this Y, then same deal knob nut and bolt , washers used as fiction plates.

I done 4 machines this way, in real life we'll never use these machine. yet they could be used. they look like they Might have been OG and gave me something to do on those cold winter days .

I see you have made pulleys, you must own a lathe.

you see other not liking to the speed of the non servo industrail machines. I have made slip on pulleys that slide over the stock pulley, but clamp to the spokes via small J bolts, which could be set screws. This drops the speed to (guessing) 1/3 of what it was..

That cat is not mine, she is homeless and will watch you work for food
Old 08-04-2014, 12:23 PM

for fun - here are some tension types. This can be used as a clue to identify a machine, but keep in mind it's always possible someone swapped out a broken tension for one from a different machine. Some aren't interchangeble, and some look like they would be.

New Home

National - (Foley & Williams is similar)

Standard

New Royal

Florence

I was gonna take more pictures but you all got saved by dead batteries! I've got some real oddball looking ones on the less common machines. Don't have a Davis top tension though . . . another thing I may have to fix.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:25 PM
Banned

Interesting. The Standard has the same back mounting "dish" as my Kenmore VS1
Old 08-04-2014, 12:28 PM

BTW - that National has a V shape to the Y, the New Home has a U shape to the Y. This is the only National machine I have with a flywheel like this - they were trying to copy the New Home look.

This is the New Home

And the National

If yours is a New Home, then it looks like someone put a National tension on it.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Interesting. The Standard has the same back mounting "dish" as my Kenmore VS1
oh - post a picture please - the Kenmore was made by somebody, maybe Standard . . .