Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: I finally found a 301, YEAH

I finally found a 301, YEAH

I visited my local Goodwill yesterday with the goal of finding some 100% cotton sheets for a quilt project. While on my way to the linens area I passed the area where sewing machines are kept. At the end of the row was a trapezoidal grass covered case. WHOA, I knew that case was for a Singer 301. I popped the latches, peaked inside and sure enough it was a mocha 301. In my excitement I did not even check to see if the foot controller or bobbin case were with the machine. I did find the sheets I needed.LOL

This Singer 301 has to be the dirtiest machine I have purchased. She has apparently had a lot of use, the lint and dust shows that. This morning she came out of the case for oiling and greasing. The foot controller needs to be rewired but I used one from one of the Featherweights. It took me about 2 hours to clean the felted lint from around the bobbin case and feed dogs. I have never seen a bobbin case and race with hardened oil and dirt like this one.

I replaced the needle, plugged her in and gave her a test drive. What an wonderful sewing machine! I can see why people love these sewing machines. I have named her Millie for my favorite aunt. Oh, by the way I paid $25 for her, a real score. Her serial number is A175943.
    Attached Images Attached Images        
    Sweet Caroline

You lucky dog. That is the one machine I am wanting so badly I can taste it. When I find one I will forget all about my moratorium on buying any more vintage machines for a while.
    Kitsy

Congratulations! You got a real good deal which is always nice. I really enjoyed looking at the photos you posted. Millie looks wonderful!!! Yea!!!

Gee, that looks awfully dirty. Gonna take a lot of work. You should probably just sell it to me... Congrats!

What a find, you will love her. Mine looks just like yours and it is my favourite machine. I like that it is so light and easy to take to quilting class.

Congratulations! That machine went to the right home -- where it will be cleaned up and loved.

I have a black 301 in my laundry room purchased for about the same price last summer, and I haven't started cleaning it up yet. It had been stored in a shed. In this part of Texas, the dirt blows so much that nothing stored in a shed will escape it.

Congratulations! I love my 301A. It was also the dirtiest machine I have brought home. I paid $10 for mine at a thrift store. Mine is also my quietest machine.

Washington, playing with my fabric stash!
    Blog Entries
    Congratulations. You will love her. What's extra nice is that everything that the 301 uses can be used on your FW like bobbins, needles, etc. Have fun.

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

Super Nice, Enjoy!!!

So excited for you! I know the feeling you had as mine was a GW find too. You got a bargain! They wanted $129 for mine in a cabinet but went to half when I pointed out the BC was missing. I love her! One thing is for sure, 301's are like potato chips: one is not enough. I want a long-bed now. It never stops!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast