Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
The Machine That I Fiddled With Today >

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

Old 12-19-2014, 07:17 PM
Power Poster

Well that 301 will have to wait. Someone wants to look at a 401 - so I dug some out... it seems the one I was working on last Christmas and put on the back burner reared it's ugly head. That machine makes a BEAUTIFUL zz stitch as long as you don't look at the bottom - the bottom stitches look like YYYYYY and not ZZ no matter what I do to the machine. The straight stitch is great. I've cleaned and adjusted the bobbin case I have even taken out the bobbin case and put one I know works in it - no change. I've taken apart and rebuilt the tension - no change... I have removed the tension and put on one that works - no change. I've adjusted the spring clip that holds the bobbin in - no change. I've changed the pressure on the foot - no change. I've checked everything I can think of for burrs... I may have to start a new thread - The Machine I Threw out the Window Today... You would think after a year in time out the thing would want to work................ NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....... But so far it hasn't gone out the window or the door... I'm just glad for the one that does works.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:39 PM

Miriam, I sent you a PM, but thought I would post this hint here as well. When our son was an infant, my husband saved baby food jars because they were clear and you could see what was in the bottle. Disadvantage -- they were glass and very breakable! LOL!

Jeanette
Old 12-20-2014, 01:57 AM
Power Poster

Jeanette, I got your pm. I found some tiny zip bags I can write on with a Sharpie.
Old 12-24-2014, 05:31 PM
ljb

im not quite in the same line of repair or expertise that you guys are - but I brought home a friends Viking 817 to fix. she couldn't get it to work so I said I would give it a try. the cord on the presser foot needs rewired. that is on my agenda for tomorrow. then we will see if it runs. seldom are fixes so easy- so I doubt that it will go that smooth. I must say how glad I am to have found this forum. lots of great advice here.
Old 12-25-2014, 04:06 PM
Banned

I got to clean up the Silver (plated, I believe) bed hemmers, Seam guide, and bed screw for my Grover & Baker.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]503691[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]503692[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 20141225_122618_sm.jpg   20141225_122724-1.jpg  
Old 12-26-2014, 04:21 AM

You sure get things cleaned up good SteveH.

I fiddled with one of my Singer 29K70 patchers off and on this week. I bought and installed a new thread take-up lever on it a while back, but it wasn’t working properly. I had to modify the heck out of it just to get it on, then whittle on it more to get it to work, and I’m still not sure it’s going to work right. It’s so aggravating when new parts don’t fit.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 12-26-2014, 04:38 PM

It wasn't today but last week I fit a borrowed handcrank to the Singer 99 that Cari-in-Oly gave me this fall. Roserips loaned me the handcrank as a trial run to see how we liked it and for use at next year's fair here in Lewis County. It took about 15 minutes to swap out. The only bummer is the case's lid is lacking about 1/4" of clearing the crank. I'll probably just sew up a bag for the crank to live in while not in use instead of modifying the case. It would be easy enough to remove some wood from the inside of the lid but I just can't bring myself to make a permanent mod like that to a perfectly good cover.
Rodney
Old 12-27-2014, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
...I just can't bring myself to make a permanent mod like that to a perfectly good cover.
Rodney
Besides, it would be a lot of extra work if you decide not to continue the machine as a hand crank. I modified a Singer 99 case, but I have the crank off of my Singer 66-1 in a vinyl bag that began life as part of a purse in an old purse factory here. I stitched it into a bag with a sleeve in the top for a draw string, and once drawn up, I tie the strings around the arm of the machine to keep it from banging around inside the case and maybe bending or breaking the needle. It keeps the crank from tumbling out when I open the case too. The case won’t close with the crank mounted, so I stuck a screwdriver in the accessory compartment to put the crank on and take it off.

I fiddled with my 1943 Singer 29K70 Patcher machine today and got some sewing done. I keep this machine at home and haven’t used it much. I generally use the one down at the shop. The take-up lever on this one had a deep notch in its eye from use, so I bought a new lever but ran into fitment problems that I mentioned earlier. The first test stitching that I did with it this week was depressing. It was missing a lot of stitches when going in two directions, and it seemed like it had not missed a stitch any other time that I had used it in the past, so I got to investigating. I found that the shuttle that I had loaded with black thread was worn out, so I switched the bobbin to the shuttle that had held the white thread that I had used last and no more missed stitches. The take-up lever appeared to be working correctly, so I threaded up to do a project.

The project was a school Letterman’s Jacket that needed patches sewn down both sleeves. It’s a perfect project for a patcher machine, and there were plenty of patches to be sewn. I sewed 4 patches on one arm, and 5 on the other. This young man is quite an athlete. I had to remove basketball patches down one arm to replace them with football patches that I removed from the other sleeve (the number of patches per year caused fitment issues). His Mom has plans for all of his basketball patches that won’t fit on his jacket. The removal of existing patches will leave needle holes, but he’s ok with that. His left sleeve will now be 2011 football, his upper back is 2012 football, his right sleeve is 2013 football, and his lower back will be 2014 patches whenever they award them. I guess he likes football best of all of his sports. I do have to put a golfing award patch over one front pocket, and a basketball award patch over the other front pocket, I assume so that people won’t think he’s just into football. Those two will be a challenge because of the sizes of the patches and the pocket interiors, but I think the patcher will make it possible. Hehe, and I thought I was doing good back in the 60s just to get an athletic letter at all! Back in those days though, they gave you a letter when you were first successful, and then little metal concho-looking things with long barbs on them to poke through the letter and clinch on the backside. They didn’t issue individual patches for separate accomplishments. And the metal things were always getting caught on something and getting bent or pulled loose. Ahhh, those were the days.

I used the mechanic’s stool on wheels for the first time with the patcher, and everything went well. Actually, it went better than the couple of times previously that I’ve used it with the Singer 319 household treadle. The patcher is on wheels and can move too, but I didn’t have any problem staying hooked up to the treadle. Having the machine up higher on wheels did make me feel like my knee was up under my chin, and my leg started to feel a little cramped after a while, but I was able to keep a nice even pace for sewing. Stitching along the outline of embroidered patches takes fairly slow treadling (especially around the shape of Oklahoma), and there are very few places where it takes any extra effort to treadle a Singer 29K70. In my old age, I just really do like seats with wheels on them so that I can buzz around my work area when I need something and not have to get up, so I was glad that things went well with me and machine both on wheels on a hardwood floor.

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails 20141227_01.jpg   20141227_02.jpg   20141227_03.jpg  
Old 12-27-2014, 06:12 PM

I'm cleaning up my Champion 3/4 vs. three hours today just cleaning up the body. She has what looks like bronze colored under parts. I don't think it is dirt .
Old 12-28-2014, 06:37 AM
Power Poster

I fiddled with a Singer 99 - the bobbin tension would not hold the thread right - it was not staying in place... Lovie was here and we took it apart again - maybe a couple times - she knows what to do but her fingers are not coordinated enough to pick up the tiny screws. We were working over a magnet sheet - I'm tired of losing the tiny screws... finally got it working. Then I sold it. The guy was muttering about how his Grandma said 'no used sewing machine is worth more than $25...' He was trying to get my price down... Well, around here finding them used for that is a real big trick and if I hadn't worked on it - it would to cost a whole lot more to pay some repair person to fix that one... some people are clueless. I betcha she thinks all old Singer machines will work as soon as you get them out of the shed. Usually there is some reason a machine has been left in storage.

FREE Quilting Newsletter