Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

Charlee 01-07-2012 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Kathie S. (Post 4851921)
Has anyone heard from Billy? I miss him. Kathie

He posted in his PDA that he doesn't want to come in here anymore cuz it's not the same as when he started it...

BoJangles 01-07-2012 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee (Post 4852125)
He posted in his PDA that he doesn't want to come in here anymore cuz it's not the same as when he started it...

That is sad! He always said this was home and everyone was welcome!

Nancy

Charlee 01-07-2012 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles (Post 4852247)
That is sad! He always said this was home and everyone was welcome!

Nancy

He's evidently changed his mind....

vintagemotif 01-07-2012 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles (Post 4852079)
Crewsemj, I do a lot of piecing with a treadle. Usually my Eldredge Two Spools, but sometimes one of the other treadles. The best way I found to have the machine stop when you want to stop is to grab the hand wheel and stop treadling at the same time. I had the same problems you are describing until I started grabbing the hand wheel to stop the motion immediately. When you are free motion quilting with a treadle, which I do a lot with my Singer 15-88, you have to be able to stop immediately, especially when I am doing thread play with words or something like that. The treadle is going to keep going, depending on how fast you are treadling, unless you stop it yourself with the hand wheel.

Anyone else found a better way to stay precise with the treadle when FMQting?

Nancy

Also can be controlled by your feet. Just slow the treadle down with your feet and then stop. To stop needle, keep feet on treadle pedal and stop the motion of the treadle pedal with your feet. Practice stopping the treadling with your feet. See what happens when you stop the pedal in different positions ( front down, center horizontal, back down) and the position of the needle when you stop ( needle up or down). I always start treadling by turning the wheel, but sometimes stop with my feet. Stopping can be done with hand on wheel like Nancy stated or with your feet, just depends on what you prefer to do.

Charlee 01-07-2012 07:36 PM

I usually stop with my hand on the wheel, but I've never had a problem with loops if I've just let it "coast" to a stop...

Candace 01-08-2012 12:38 AM

Cry a tear with me... http://modesto.craigslist.org/for/2789068613.html

quilt addict 01-08-2012 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles (Post 4851280)
Lisa, do you have two Pfaff 130's in cabinets in your garage? Geeze, those are expensive machines. They are hard to find - people don't give up their Pfaffs; and, expensive if you do find one - at least in my part of the country! It seems all vintage Pfaff's are expensive to collect! Miz Johnny I am still waiting to see your Pfaff treadle!

Nancy

Yes, it is sad. I have two cabinets and 3 machines. One is a repaint candidate for Billy when he is feeling better. The paint is just falling off. And yes they are some of the more expensive ones that I have picked up in the last year. I have spent more time with the treadles too, and not ready to tackle the electric cords. So that is why they are still sitting.

quilt addict 01-08-2012 07:50 AM

First Vintage Machine Purchase of the Year

4 Attachment(s)
I am not suppose to be buying. But I finally got a machine that didn't need any work to use.

Elna Supermatic in good condition. Has most all the feet and 17 decorative stitch disks. Nice to have a machine that can clean and get working in one evening. It is an electric but now I have something that does decorative stitches. It is really a quiet machine too. Just had to oil and adjust the tension. It does have alot of nicks on the front of the pillar. Not sure how that would happen.

Serial number 5753062, I think that means it was a 1955 machine.

Charlee 01-08-2012 08:12 AM

NICE Lisa!! I keep my eyes open for a green Elna, but they're few and far between here...

Candace 01-08-2012 09:22 AM

Cute Elna! I've coveted those myself. I've been told to ALWAYS test drive them as they have a rubber wheel inside that will get a flat spot if the machine is unused and left in the same position for a while. I guess this makes them run poorly if the flat spot develops. So...use your Elna! If you don't use it then turn the handwheel every so often when you walk by it.