Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

cabbagepatchkid 01-09-2011 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by dunster

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid

Originally Posted by tomilu
I saw an ad on CL today for a vintage machine. The person ended the paragraph with ...and the light turns on so you know it sews. Just toooo funny. May not have a needle or bobbin, but the light lets you know it sews. lol lol

That's funny! I love looking at the ads on CL. How about the pictures that they add to their listing that only shows the back of the sewing machine? Sometimes they have several pictures and they are all of the back of the machine :mrgreen:

And then there are the ones that only show the cabinet, sometimes with the lid up but the machine still deep inside. This is another great ad - a free spinning motor??? red eye a grade of sewing machine? http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/atq/2151667389.html

Hahaha...Well, it is a pretty nice cabinet :mrgreen:

cabbagepatchkid 01-09-2011 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by whenpigsfly

I love looking at the ads on CL. How about the pictures that they add to their listing that only shows the back of the sewing machine? Sometimes they have several pictures and they are all of the back of the machine :mrgreen:

I responded by e-mail to a CL ad for a "Singer machine in wood case". The ad included a picture of the machine sitting in the base of a Bentwood case, but no evidence of the top portion of the case. I asked to see the top of the portable case; they sent me a picture of the handle!

I won a SM, on eBay, and it had a BEAUTIFUL Bentwood case. I was concerned about what was going to happen to the case during shipment but the seller assured me that he knew what he was doing and had shipped many of these with no problem. I even offered to pay for him to ship the case separate from the SM head but he said "no" it was better to keep them together. When it arrived I was afraid to open the box. The Bentwood case was in a million pieces and the base was also twisted and broken :evil: That is what I LOVE about buying sewing machines from Craigslist...I can just drive to pick it up.

chris_quilts 01-09-2011 07:00 PM

I recently responded to a CL ad for an older machine in a cabinet. When I emailed to ask for more details was told it's just an old machine. Well, I went and looked at it. It was a Singer in a cabinet with accessories. It was made in 1948. I paid $30 for it and was happy to give her a new home. It has plant pee stains on the cabinet plus some scratches but it runs and runs well. It may be a 15-91. Can't wait til I can get it upstairs, set up, and sewing on it.

Up North 01-09-2011 07:01 PM

I do not buy off ebay but others say to send them a message telling your experience and also the seller!!!!

whenpigsfly 01-09-2011 08:00 PM

The Bentwood case was in a million pieces and the base was also twisted and broken :evil: That is what I LOVE about buying sewing machines from Craigslist...I can just drive to pick it up.

Oh, dear! What did the seller say?

How was it shipped? I'm waiting to receive one in a case that's being shipped via FedEx.

Miz Johnny 01-09-2011 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by whenpigsfly

The Bentwood case was in a million pieces and the base was also twisted and broken :evil: That is what I LOVE about buying sewing machines from Craigslist...I can just drive to pick it up.

Oh, dear! What did the seller say?

How was it shipped? I'm waiting to receive one in a case that's being shipped via FedEx.

In my experience, both FedEx and the PO do a better job shipping machines than UPS. (Guess which company my husband works for?? Not FedEx and not the PO.) They use conveyor belts with a drop at the end, plus they keep the workers on a dead run.
The best insurance is a VERY WELL PACKED machine. No newspaper or styrofoam peanuts! I tell sellers to pack as if they were shipping china. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

whenpigsfly 01-09-2011 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
In my experience, both FedEx and the PO do a better job shipping machines than UPS. (Guess which company my husband works for?? Not FedEx and not the PO.) They use conveyor belts with a drop at the end, plus they keep the workers on a dead run. .

On another site, a writer said to pack a UPS pkg as though it were going to fall six feet ... because it will! I thought she was kidding. Obviously not.
Good to know.

Candace 01-09-2011 08:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Anyone know what this vintage Bell machine is worth? It says made in Germany on it, but all my research says these were made in PA??

Miz Johnny 01-09-2011 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Candace
Anyone know what this vintage Bell machine is worth? It says made in Germany on it, but all my research says these were made in PA??

I don't know, but it sure is cute.

Candace 01-09-2011 08:47 PM

It is cute, though I can't find much on the net about these...