Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

cabbagepatchkid 01-10-2011 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by whenpigsfly

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
The Bentwood case was in a million pieces and the base was also twisted and broken :evil: That is what I LOVE about buying sewing machines from Craigslist...I can just drive to pick it up.

Oh, dear! What did the seller say?

How was it shipped? I'm waiting to receive one in a case that's being shipped via FedEx.

It was packed in a single box stuffed with crumbled newspapers. The machine and case was also wrapped in a single layer of bubble wrap. The SM was tied to the base with string--I guess that was supposed to keep it from falling out of the base but the string was broken and the SM was half way out of the base. The domed case was no longer attached and the veneer had splintered with a good portion of it laying in small pieces inside the box :cry:

Actually, the case was still attached to the base, at the point where it locks, but the rest of the case was all smashed. I have to give the seller some credit :roll: ---he removed the handle of the case and wrapped it nice and securely so that it wouldn't punch a hole in the shipping box. I can't remember which company did the shipping but the seller had insured the package and I got all of my money back. So I got the machine for free but what had caught my eye, in the auction, was the beautiful bentwood case.

PunkQuilter 01-10-2011 05:36 AM

I need some guidance please. I found a featherweight in the garbage at the curb a few streets over in my hood. I was fiddling with the latches on the case when a man comes out of the garage and tells me I am welcome to it, but it's broke. He said it doesn't have any power. I said I like to try and see if I could maybe get it to sew. He carried it to my car for me. I have two questions. He said he thought the motor was bad. If I have no power can I just assume it's the motor and replace it or are there other things I should look for first. Secondly...I am a 301 girl I have 7 of them. I know they are simialr to the FW in many ways. I have a couple of donor 301's as well. Can I put a 301 motor on this FW or will that not work? If so where can I find a tutorial on that? Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

CarrieAnne 01-10-2011 05:44 AM

Lucky you! I hope you can get it to work!

redpurselady 01-10-2011 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by PunkQuilter
I need some guidance please. I found a featherweight in the garbage at the curb a few streets over in my hood. I was fiddling with the latches on the case when a man comes out of the garage and tells me I am welcome to it, but it's broke. He said it doesn't have any power. I said I like to try and see if I could maybe get it to sew. He carried it to my car for me. I have two questions. He said he thought the motor was bad. If I have no power can I just assume it's the motor and replace it or are there other things I should look for first. Secondly...I am a 301 girl I have 7 of them. I know they are simialr to the FW in many ways. I have a couple of donor 301's as well. Can I put a 301 motor on this FW or will that not work? If so where can I find a tutorial on that? Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

What a great find, even if the motor is shot. You can always find after market replacement motors for the FW if you don't want to buy an original. I bought a replacement motor on ebay years ago and it works just fine on my FW. As a matter of fact, it is so fast sometimes my thread spool flies off the holder :-)

cabbagepatchkid 01-10-2011 06:16 AM

Redpurselady: Is that your red FW in your avatar? I would love to have a red one. I have an old 301 that has to be refinished, because of a lot of corrosion, and I think I would like to either paint it red or fushia.

redpurselady 01-10-2011 06:18 AM

Redpurselady: Is that your red FW in your avatar? I would love to have a red one. I have an old 301 that has to be refinished, because of a lot of corrosion, and I think I would like to either paint it red or fushia.

Yes, that is my "Ruby Jewel". I just got her on Friday. She is a little beauty from 1947 and sews wonderfully. I have been saving for a long time to get one. I'm partial to red :wink:

BoJangles 01-10-2011 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by redpurselady

Yes, that is my "Ruby Jewel". I just got her on Friday. She is a little beauty from 1947 and sews wonderfully. I have been saving for a long time to get one. I'm partial to red :wink:

Geeze I love the red featherweight! If I ever find one in really bad shape, I am going to have Billy paint it red!

Nancy

BoJangles 01-10-2011 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Donna Mare
Never did put my Singer up... Here she is.. 1897 hmm Gertie? LOL still need to find her a name..

Donna first I love your Avator -- the Mini's are so cute? Do you raise them?

Second, what decal is on that machine? It almost looks like from what I can see a Sphinx, which I know it can't be because they didn't start using the Sphinx until 1913 or so.

Nancy

redpurselady 01-10-2011 09:10 AM

[It was packed in a single box stuffed with crumbled newspapers. The machine and case was also wrapped in a single layer of bubble wrap. The SM was tied to the base with string--I guess that was supposed to keep it from falling out of the base but the string was broken and the SM was half way out of the base. The domed case was no longer attached and the veneer had splintered with a good portion of it laying in small pieces inside the box :cry:

Actually, the case was still attached to the base, at the point where it locks, but the rest of the case was all smashed. I have to give the seller some credit :roll: ---he removed the handle of the case and wrapped it nice and securely so that it wouldn't punch a hole in the shipping box. I can't remember which company did the shipping but the seller had insured the package and I got all of my money back. So I got the machine for free but what had caught my eye, in the auction, was the beautiful bentwood case.[/quote]

I just hate to hear that, I guess it all depends on the seller/packer. I got a Red Eye from Ebay and she arrived in perfect shape. My Red Eye is pictured on page 488.

dunster 01-10-2011 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Second, what decal is on that machine? It almost looks like from what I can see a Sphinx, which I know it can't be because they didn't start using the Sphinx until 1913 or so.

Nancy

I have a 1901 model 27 with Sphinx decals.