Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage Japanese 'Badged' Zig Zag and Straight Sew Sewing Machines

Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    That medallion is a crack up - love the color - you will have a good time cleaning that one. Is it metal or plastic? Head light cleaner works to clean up plastic but don't use it on metal... I use it on really crappy cases some times. That or Dawn...
    Thanks Miriam. I have been using Armor All on plastic for years after I spent too much on a plastic headlight restoration product. It was just repackaged Armor All. Doh!
    I'll have to get Dawn's number if I'm too tired to do it myself.
    ~G~

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by grant15clone View Post
    Thanks Miriam. I have been using Armor All on plastic for years after I spent too much on a plastic headlight restoration product. It was just repackaged Armor All. Doh!
    I'll have to get Dawn's number if I'm too tired to do it myself.
    ~G~
    nah Dawn is likely a slacker, too...

I think Armor All is what I have out there - I use what ever it is on the mean streaks.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Blog Entries
    Isn't 117 an odd number for voltage on Grants' machine?

Blog Entries
    I've been working on another badged machine - I like it very much.
    Name:  odds and ends in February 015.JPG
Views: 648
Size:  129.0 KB
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

As promised. Here she is all shined up, back in her cabinet and ready to go.

Name:  st 2.jpg
Views: 649
Size:  759.0 KB

Wow does this one do some great stitches!

Name:  stitchmaster stitches.jpg
Views: 645
Size:  627.7 KB

And a quick before and after of the back.

Name:  ST B4 N After Back.jpg
Views: 670
Size:  1.35 MB

I don't want to take up too much room here but there are more pix on my FB page. The link is below.
    ~G~

NICE work! To get a clean like that I assume that you are doing a tear down then clean?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
    NICE work! To get a clean like that I assume that you are doing a tear down then clean?
    Thanks Steve. Yes, First I tear every machine down before I even start. This particular one was left pretty whole inside but mostly disassembled everything else. It may take a little more effort but it makes cleaning the individual components easier. Then I reassemble it and give it a once over when I am done.
    ~G~

I posted these pics on the Vintage thread post but it was suggested I post them here. I hope this is the right place this time...

I bought this Vogue Stitch machine for $12.00 at Goodwill. It was dirty, so cleaned it as best I could. It is not rusted at all on any of the working parts like under the machine or where the needle bar goes into the machine. Didn't have a manual or any extra feet but it does have the power cord and foot pedal. It had a seam ripper and stiletto in the carrying case.
    I couldn't get it to sew straight stitches at first but oiled it good and started turning all the dials every which way til I figured out what the dials do! There was no manual with it but a website was suggested for Japanese-badge machines, so downloaded it. It is like the manual shows except the specific dials. I will work with all the dials and make notes so I can remember what they do.
    I think it sews a beautiful stitch but it weighs a ton. I think it sews much better than all my newer machines as it is strong and the motor runs quietly. If it had cams, I would use it all the time and still might just for piecing.

Vogue Stitch Machine
    Name:  VogueStitch.jpg
Views: 592
Size:  128.0 KB

Stitches it sews
    Name:  Stitches1.jpg
Views: 552
Size:  94.0 KB

Implements that were in the case
    Name:  Implements2.jpg
Views: 558
Size:  170.9 KB

You might have some luck looking for a Dressmaker manual. The small chrome knobs tighten down the stitch width setting position and lock it in place on them. Here is my Dressmaker. They are similar machines. I'm sorry, I don't have a manual.
    ~G~

Name:  IMG_8465.JPG
Views: 586
Size:  275.6 KB

Blog Entries
    I have a manual for that bottom machine.

Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 20 ... LastLast