Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 02-19-2011, 08:38 PM
Power Poster

I was going to find some Evaporust to use on my older sewing machine feet that have a little corrosion on them... Apparently it's not sold in my area, as all I could find was Naval Jelly for rust, which said NOT to use it on chrome. Aren't all the machine feet chrome? Those are the parts that are rusty! So, what is generally used to get rust off of chrome? Some 0000 steel wool?

I'd also appreciate any info I could get on the wooden Singer puzzle boxes for attachments. Were those made for certain models only, or just for a certain time period? If just for specific models, which ones?

Thanks!
Old 02-19-2011, 10:24 PM

I was having trouble with my tension on my new white feather weight machine. I saw Nancy and she worked on
my machine and discovered it was the thread I was using.
She had me use cotton thread, what a difference that made.
No more polyester thread for my little lady. Thanks Nancy
you are the best. Kathie
Old 02-19-2011, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by Happy Treadler
I also hear there's an irredescent automotive paint out there that actually changes colors. How cool would that be?

Yep it been out for a while PPG, Dupont, House of Kolor (what I usually shoot) all have it. You have to shoot a base coat of black then you shoot the color shift over it and then clear it out. The color shift paints come in 30 different color shifts and run around $200 a pint. It gets the color shift qualities from the Aluminum oxide in the paint.

Since I paint high end show cars and bikes I always use HOK (House of Kolor) and most of my repaints are shot in their system. The 27 I am fixing to paint is a neon Lime Green that is 80% Pearl and it is really going to pop when I am finished with it. Then I have a 66 that I am shooting a Candy Hot Pink that should be pretty nice and it will be a hand crank.

But some of the machines I have done are owned by a few of our members including the Candy Blue 66 that was my favorite!

Billy
Billy, so if it is $200 pint, how much does it take to do one machine?

And by the way, I think there should be a place on the VSMS where we can see your gallery pictures of ALL of your
sewing machine paint jobs!
Old 02-19-2011, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
I was going to find some Evaporust to use on my older sewing machine feet that have a little corrosion on them... Apparently it's not sold in my area, as all I could find was Naval Jelly for rust, which said NOT to use it on chrome. Aren't all the machine feet chrome? Those are the parts that are rusty! So, what is generally used to get rust off of chrome? Some 0000 steel wool?

I'd also appreciate any info I could get on the wooden Singer puzzle boxes for attachments. Were those made for certain models only, or just for a certain time period? If just for specific models, which ones?

Thanks!
I would also be interested in the answer to these questions. Thanx
Old 02-19-2011, 10:49 PM

Sewbizgirl,

Congratulations on you new additions.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:34 PM

Billy, Just bought a 1935 (?) singer treadle model 15 but can't find any information about it. Tried singer manual & user guides without any luck. Serial # is AF022529. Can you advise me?
Thanks
Old 02-20-2011, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by merry
Billy, Just bought a 1935 (?) singer treadle model 15 but can't find any information about it. Tried singer manual & user guides without any luck. Serial # is AF022529. Can you advise me?
Thanks
Here is the link to Singer: http://www.singerco.com/support/serial_2letter.html
Old 02-20-2011, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by luv2learn

Thanks!
I would also be interested in the answer to these questions. Thanx
I haven't tried this yet; so, I don't know if it works on chrome, but have read that oxy-clean works too.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
I was having trouble with my tension on my new white feather weight machine. I saw Nancy and she worked on
my machine and discovered it was the thread I was using.
She had me use cotton thread, what a difference that made.
No more polyester thread for my little lady. Thanks Nancy
you are the best. Kathie
My eldest lady, a Singer 66-1, only likes cheap cotton thread. She will skips stitches with polyester. Sometimes that is all it takes with these machines.
Old 02-20-2011, 02:25 AM

Cool Machine. I have the 404 which is the same except for the ZZ adjustment at the top. Loads of power.
Look what came to live at my house today!