Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 03-18-2011, 12:36 PM

Dumpster diving and thrift stores. Don and I spent the morning going to several garage sales which yielded nothing, then went to a thrift store to donate items. Sitting by the dumpster was a 201 in a not too shabby cabinet. Then inside the thrift store was an old Pfaff 230 in one of those cabinets that has the chair-looks like part of the cabinet. Inside the drawers is the original manual, tin of acc. and a Singer buttonholer. Someone has painted the outside of the cabinet, which is real wood, that hideous green "antiquing" color that was the rage years ago. And it even runs-motor smells bad. So for $10 the Pfaff is ours, and the Singer just jumped in the van. Now I'm ready to veg for a while.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by quilt addict
Originally Posted by dirty1mom
Forget the last post. The guy just called me back and said it is too heavy for him to help me get it out of the basement. He is 76 yrs. old. So, I have to wait til Sunday when my son can go with me. But at least the guy is holding it for me.
When I pick up machines in cabinets, I take the machine out. These old heads weigh alot. Just take a screwdriver with you, tilt the head back and there should be set screws to loosen and slide the machine off. It is also a safer way to transport them seperately. Good luck.

Minnesota was sold by Sears but the machines were made by Davis or National I think.
Thanks for the info. I know to take them apart to carry/transport but I am not good on steps. Much safer to have my son help. Somewhere in the world there are coordinated people. However none of them are in my family.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:41 PM

I am also having problems finding the pourable Liquid Gold. Could I use the spray if I Spray it on a cloth first?
Old 03-18-2011, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Weedwoman
Anybody know what this little machine is? It's listed in an auction as a featherweight with a ? after it. I think they are just thinking because it's small it's a featherweight. It is a treadle it seems in a pretty ugly green painted cabinet.
The cabinet and irons look just like mine {in my avatar}...minus the green paint. The wood is probably real pretty.
Old 03-18-2011, 01:07 PM

Here's a project red eye treadle in a parlor cabinet for someone in Indianapolis area...pickup only!

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=7599806
Old 03-18-2011, 01:16 PM
Banned

Anybody know what this little machine is? It's listed in an auction as a featherweight with a ? after it. I think they are just thinking because it's small it's a featherweight. It is a treadle it seems in a pretty ugly green painted cabinet.
Its a Singer model 24 and if that is the right cabinet that came with the machine it is worth a chunk of change!

Billy
Old 03-18-2011, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Its a Singer model 24 and if that is the right cabinet that came with the machine it is worth a chunk of change!

Billy
I have no idea if it's the right cabinet or not. Is it actually a treadle? I couldn't tell by the pic for sure.
Old 03-18-2011, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by dirty1mom
I am also having problems finding the pourable Liquid Gold. Could I use the spray if I Spray it on a cloth first?
Scott's told me that Ace hardware carries the pourable liquid gold. My local store does not. You can call them at 1-800-447-1919. They are in Denver. I was told no shipping nor no tax. I live in Calif. I should receive my order in a week. Hope this helps Kathie
Old 03-18-2011, 01:24 PM

Billy
I just looked it up and it does look to be the original cabinet sans the green paint. I may have to check this auction out cause it's not too far away.
Old 03-18-2011, 01:34 PM
Banned

Billy
I just looked it up and it does look to be the original cabinet sans the green paint. I may have to check this auction out cause it's not too far away.
Its the original treadle irons I know that!! Those are hard to come by they are a lot narrower than the regular ones.

Billy