Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 04-02-2011, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by MarieM
Well, I just took my 503a to class! It probably weighs the same as the 401 - wasn't a big deal. I took another Patchabilities class and needed a button hole stitch, which top hat cam #8 does! I'm with you Miz Johnny, if I wanted a good machine with decorative stitches, I'd go for the 401.

Nancy

What is a Patchabilities class?
This is a Patchabilities! I used the 503a with the #8 top hat cam for the blanket stitch!

Nancy
Nancy, I love those. Too cute.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:54 AM

Location: Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by fabric whisperer
MizJohnny & BoJangles ~ I looked at the pic on pg 695 ~ OMG I SAW one of those a couple weeks ago... cannot say where, because I am going to go back and see if its still there first thing in the morning. I will die if its still there. I showed the pic to hubby, and he said "We saw that, we thought it was a weird stapler" ~ I don't think I'm going to sleep tonite!
Yep, most people have no clue that the little Wilcox and Gibbs was a sewing machine!
Here is a site to get some information on the machines. I hope it is still there! http://www.sewalot.com/willcox_gibbs.htm
Nancy
aw, so bummed ~ it was gone... I did leave my name with the manager, if he see's it hidden anywhere around there, he'll give me a call (which makes me think one of the employees thought it was cool and took it home!)
Old 04-02-2011, 10:43 AM

hi ladies
i aquired this beauty from the neighbor a few weeks ago and i am thrilled with her...i dont really know anything about her other then she is a American Standard and was made sometime in the late 1800 to early 1900...i need to clean her and get a new belt but other then that everything seems good...she even had the manual but its very very brittle and falling apart. I read olnine that the company was in Cleveland Ohio...if anyone knows anything i would love to hear it.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-178708.jpe   attachment-178709.jpe   attachment-178710.jpe   attachment-178711.jpe  
Old 04-02-2011, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by tealfalcon
hi ladies
i aquired this beauty from the neighbor a few weeks ago and i am thrilled with her...i dont really know anything about her other then she is a American Standard and was made sometime in the late 1800 to early 1900...i need to clean her and get a new belt but other then that everything seems good...she even had the manual but its very very brittle and falling apart. I read olnine that the company was in Cleveland Ohio...if anyone knows anything i would love to hear it.
Tisha, beautiful machine and cabinet!

Nancy
Old 04-02-2011, 11:51 AM

racksmum, Treadles are very easy to sew on. When I was a little girl (started sewing about 12 yrs.) all I had to use was my mother's treadle. Used it for about 7 or 8 yrs. until I went to work and bought an electric machine. This vintage shop has renewed my interest in the treadles, now I am looking for one. Hope I am successful. My mother had given her treadle to my sister and when my sister moved, she probably gave it away.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:10 PM

Jimmy, that V2 parlor cabinet is exquisite. You are so lucky to have it. Years ago, they surely took pride in their craftsmanship. What a beauty!
Old 04-02-2011, 12:22 PM

Ashleyo, Welcome from Louisiana, know you will like it here. Everyone is so helpful and friendly. Your machines are beauties.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:16 PM

Nancy - I love your patchables. Quite precious and it's really cool what different cams can do. Thanks for sharing.

Trish and Fabric Whisperer - Wow! Very nice. They would look great in any sewing room.

Need to get busy. I have family and friends coming over for the NCAA Basketball games.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:33 AM

MarieM and Kitzone thank you, the Patchabilities are a lot of fun!

Fabricwhisperer, sorry you didn't get the little Wilcox and Gibbs, but you will find one! Just don't give up and modify that cabinet -- anything 120 + years old deserves to be preserved the way it was intended to be used. My opinion.

Luce321, once you start looking for those treadles, you will have more than you want -- they hunt us! It is too bad you didn't get your Mother's.

Nancy
Old 04-03-2011, 12:21 PM

I have a question being new on the board. I was just given a vintage Kenmore machine and I'd like to find info about it. I have the serial no. and model no. I'm not sure how to use this forum. Can I search all the entries for a subject? What is the simplest way to obtain the info I need? Thanks.