Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1343 of 4396 FirstFirst ... 343 843 1243 1293 1333 1342 1343 1344 1353 1393 1443 1843 2343 ... LastLast
Results 13,421 to 13,430 of 43958

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

  1. #13421
    Super Member Glenn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    2,149
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles
    Quote Originally Posted by purplefiend
    Quote Originally Posted by deedum
    Bily,
    Can you help me? I need singer motor lubicant in tube for my old singer 301's. Hubby wants to get this done before I use the machines much. Can you tell me where to get this? thanks
    You might be able to get it at Wal-mart or Joanns.
    Yep, Wal Mart and JoAnnes both carry the Singer Lubricant as do most sewing repair shops and fabric shops -- blue and yellow tube!

    Thank you all for the compliments on Willy's restored cabinet. My DH has been in the garage around the clock for the last three weeks. He really got into this as he thinks little Willy is really cute. I am just blown away at how nice the cabinet looks now. When I started the stripping of all those layers of black paint then white primer, I wondered if it would ever look good again! Just goes to show you what determination can accomplish. I love that cabinet now!

    Glenn we did your tutorial, except the stain is red oak.

    Nancy
    The red oak looks great. the color of the stain is really only to match the original color to the wood. They are all diff in color tones. Your hubby did good. I am glad he used shellac because it will age beautifully like the original shellac. Good job. Glenn

  2. #13422
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,580
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by jillnjo
    O.K.-Here goes! The Kenmore machine I have is Model no.1516 zig-zag machine.It looks like it takes cams to ziz-zag and they are not with the machine. It runs beautiful,and hasn't a scratch on it. Are parts available? It's a light green color in a portable case. What do I actually have and where do I go from here? There's also a serial no.-0028349 and a motor model no.-5186
    Jillnjo here is another site you might want to look at. http://www.ehow.com/about_5054897_in...-machines.html

    Just reading this site, your machine must be a 1970's? model. It says models 1020 thru 1980 (there were 68 models) were made in the 1970's. That would put your model 1516 right in the middle!

    I'd do a search of the model number and parts available.

    Can you post a picture? Maybe, someone will recognize the machine by the picture?

    Nancy

  3. #13423
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,580
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn
    Glenn we did your tutorial, except the stain is red oak.

    Nancy

    The red oak looks great. the color of the stain is really only to match the original color to the wood. They are all diff in color tones. Your hubby did good. I am glad he used shellac because it will age beautifully like the original shellac. Good job. Glenn
    Thank you Glenn! This means a lot coming from the expert! By the way, great tutorial on restoring the cabinets!

    Nancy

  4. #13424
    Super Member Glenn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    2,149
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn
    Glenn we did your tutorial, except the stain is red oak.

    Nancy

    The red oak looks great. the color of the stain is really only to match the original color to the wood. They are all diff in color tones. Your hubby did good. I am glad he used shellac because it will age beautifully like the original shellac. Good job. Glenn
    Thank you Glenn! This means a lot coming from the expert! By the way, great tutorial on restoring the cabinets!

    Nancy
    Thanks, It is my pleasure and you are most welcome. Most restoreres want to keep these old techniques secret but I do not agree with them. I think everyone who wants to try this should have all the info they can get get to do the job themslves. Believe me there is enough work out there that they do not need to feel threaten. It is hard work but you and your hubby showed that if you can do it anyone can. Pat yourself on the back for a job well done. Glenn

  5. #13425
    Super Member Crossstitcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    1,002
    Blog Entries
    7
    Nancy the W&G really looks good. That is a beautiful job!
    You have every right to be proud of your DH.

  6. #13426
    Super Member amyjo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    North Dakota
    Posts
    2,174
    Blog Entries
    13
    Hi, I just got DH to open the closet door (stuck) so I could dig out this machine. I have looked in different places and contacted Singer. It has a plate on the front under the reverse that says AL850005 the little plate above it says 15-. Underneath it has stamped into the bed the words MADE IN USA, a large # 8, and these numbers 125255 also made by SIMANCO. I am sending some pics for you to look at.
    Attached Images Attached Images        

  7. #13427
    Super Member deedum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    3,915
    Thanks for the info on the motor lubicant. I will stop at JOann's and get some!

  8. #13428
    Super Member sewbizgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    4,000
    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles
    Remember this cabinet, it came black and looking like crap? We used a bunch of cans of stripper to get all three coats of black paint off -- and it had a coat of primer, DH did some sand blasting of the treadle irons, lots of elbow grease (mostly my DH's since he decided I was too slow at it), a little staining and finishing and look what my late 1800's Wilcox and Gibbs gets back! His original cabinet!!!!!!!!!!!Yippppeeeeeeeee!

    Nancy
    Wow... you guys are GOOOOD! :thumbup:

  9. #13429
    Super Member sewbizgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    4,000
    Quote Originally Posted by amyjo
    Hi, I just got DH to open the closet door (stuck) so I could dig out this machine. I have looked in different places and contacted Singer. It has a plate on the front under the reverse that says AL850005 the little plate above it says 15-. Underneath it has stamped into the bed the words MADE IN USA, a large # 8, and these numbers 125255 also made by SIMANCO. I am sending some pics for you to look at.
    What are you asking-- what model it is? It is a model 15. It appears to have the potted motor up high on the back (beltless) which would make it a 15-91. These are fabulous machines. Enjoy it!

  10. #13430
    Super Member wesing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    East TN
    Posts
    1,214
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostn51
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostn51
    Quote Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
    . . . Another 3/4 size portable you may want to check out is the Singer 185J.
    Yes they are cute and fun to repaint, but they weigh a ton!!

    Billy
    Did you paint this one, Billy? That shade of pink reminds me of Pepto Bismol :mrgreen: but it did come out really nice. I have a 185 and they do weight a TON :shock: :shock: :shock:
    Yep, it is a Barbie Pink and I did it for one of our members 8yo daughters Christmas present. From what I hear she loves it!!

    I have another 185K like it that I am going to repaint and sell but I am wondering what color to shoot it.


    Billy
    Billy -

    Do you know what you'll be asking for this machine? If it's done in teal/turquoise I would definitely be interested.

    Thanks,

    Darren

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.