Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 04-11-2011, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by FarmStitcher

I've been busy this week-end and I'm catching up on reading. I am no longer using these photos of vintage machines because they appear to be copywrited. I have had that one for a while in my photo file and I might order it. I really like it. Thanks for pointing it out to me, don't want to get anyone in trouble by just using an avatar.
Farmstitcher, the new Avator looks like a photo too? Where was that one taken? Pretty cool looking with that dog sitting on the donkey.

Nancy
Yes, that was a pic from the free clip art and it looks like somewhere in the Middle East. Just put it up until I could get another one on there. The one up now is MY Singer 66 'Red Eye', Ester.

Sorry for jumpin' in on ya!
Old 04-11-2011, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
Originally Posted by iluvmycats
I'm pretty new to this Quilting Board and I'm sure that this question has been addressed numerous times but I don't have time to go thru all 915 pages. Is there any way to get the musty smell out of the older Singer machines. I have a 221 and just purchased a 301A that I love and am using for my quilting. The 301 is not in the case because I'm sewing with it and I have to purchase a new case for the 221. I'm still holding on to the original cases. But the smell gets to my asthma. Any good suggestions would be appreciated and I'm thanking all in advance. Blessings, Nancy
Also there is a felt oil pad on the inside bottom of the machine that can be replaced, that is where I found the odor to be coming from on my FW

My featherweight box stunk to high heaven, too. It made the machine stink so bad I couldn't have it in the house for a while. I got rid of most of the stink by wiping down the inside of the box really well with diluted bleach (and made myself sick in the process-- hate bleach!) Then I left it out in the sun, open for several days. I also close up some Odor Eaters shoe inserts in the box. For the machine, I just cleaned it real well with GoJo and waxed it a bit with clear boot polish and it smells much better.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:43 PM

Sorry double post!
Old 04-11-2011, 01:43 PM

Well, here is my newest machine - a Morse, 15 clone made in Japan. I got it at a yard sale on Saturday for $20. The case is in pretty good shape too.

Billy what do you think? It sure is a pretty machine! Is this one of the better made 15 clones from Japan?

Nancy
Attached Thumbnails attachment-182883.jpe   attachment-182886.jpe   attachment-182891.jpe  
Old 04-11-2011, 02:27 PM

Well, here is my newest machine - a Morse, 15 clone made in Japan. I got it at a yard sale on Saturday for $20. The case is in pretty good shape too.

Billy what do you think? It sure is a pretty machine! Is this one of the better made 15 clones from Japan?

Nancy
Wow, that machine is really pretty.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by luv2learn
Tammy and Trish,

These little Dynamic and Cinderella machines are so cute! Who were they made by? Are they metal or plasic outer shells? Are they as heavy as a 99, or lightweight like a featherweight? Do they so well? What kind of needle do they use? What size bobbin do they use? Are the prices comparable to other vintage machines? When and what kinds of places do you find them? I have never seen one, until they showed up here a few weeks ago and now they seem so be coming out of the woodwork! Sorry for so many questions, but they are fascinating to me. Thanx!
These machines were made in Japan. It's seems to be a smaller copy of the singer 15 not big at all about the same size as a FW. The working parts are steel and the frame work is Alum. and the outside is pressed tin.

It's not as heavy as a 99 weights about 15#. They use the same needle as the 99 just bobbin looks to be like the 15. I have sewed with her just to see how she does, and it sews fast you have to get used to it. It also has a tinny sound when sewing. You can remove acouple of things and her dress comes off so she can be oiled.
I have only seen them on e bay until Tammy got one.

I took a picture of her without her dress on so you can see her body.

Dina
[ATTACH=CONFIG]182935[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-182929.jpe  
Old 04-11-2011, 03:20 PM

Nancy,

That Morse is so pretty! It makes me think of the brand new Impala my mother bought in 1961. Congratulations!
Old 04-11-2011, 03:23 PM

Trish, thank you for the additional info. She is So.o.o.o. cute! I can't believe she is so clean on the inside. . . . thanx for sharing.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:03 PM

Have you checked if there is a scratch or burr on your needle plate? It will cause all kinds of birdsnests underside.[/quote]

I checked and there was no burr on the needle plate. We did find one on the plate that covers the bobbin. :cry: It will go into be serviced in the next day or two. I have a feeling it is the
tension as the dial was extremely loose and I do not think that it was engaged when I bought it. I am sure that it just needs to be adjusted, or at least I hope so. I do not have the patience to fiddle with it. Kathie
Old 04-11-2011, 04:17 PM

Nancy
LOVE that blue! She sure is pretty!!