Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 04-15-2011, 09:37 PM

I like the dark green Bernina! Miz Johnny, you got a Wilcox and Gibbs hand crank? What is an American style? I got to go to one sale today between taking care of my animals and doctoring a sick horse for an out of town neighbor. Guess, what we got for $44? Another Wilcox and Gibbs, but this one has a hunkin big motor and a really cute "foot" pedal that is a foot! Also, got the original book and attachments! I'll post pictures tomorrow!

Nancy[/quote]

I am looking forward to seeing the new machine. Kathie
Old 04-15-2011, 09:44 PM

[quote=chris_quilts][quote=BoJangles]
Originally Posted by chris_quilts
Originally Posted by Lostn51
Post away!!!

Okay. Already posted one.
No, I did not but saw a gorgeous Singer with one there.
Oh Chris, did you feel like you were in a candy store...(er, or fabric store)? Wish it wasn't about 10 hours away from me but I would have to leave checkbook at home and only bring a certain amount of cash.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:34 PM

I had a Bernina 830 many moons ago (bought new, since traded) and the foot pedal did the same...it was in summer and I was sewing with bare feet and the pedal started burning my foot, then 'pop' and it stopped. Took it to the local dealer, this is back when they used to 'repair' things rather than buy a new one and he said it was a capacitor that had blown and replaced it. I never had another problem while I owned the machine, nor did the new owner for many years later. So if you know an electrician or someone with electronics as a hobby, from what I recall it was a regular capacitor....they could test it for you anyway and it would probably be much cheaper to repair, than replace.

Hope this helps?
Nana ;-)

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Hi again! Thought I would stop in before y'all reached 1,000 pages.

I have a question about my 1975 Bernina 830 (tons cheaper than the current Bernina 830!). Yesterday I was merrily quilting along and my machine stopped running. As usual I reached down to push the plug back into the foot pedal. When I picked it up I notice it was very hot. I mean really hot. Put the pedal on the floor again and went to sew... no dice! She ain't moving.

The light on the machine remained on so I am pretty sure the problem lies with the foot pedal. But, what would cause it to heat up like that and why won't it move?

Anyone, know what is going on here? To my recollection this has not happened before in the 36 years I have had her. Hopefully, someone knows what's going on. Thanks for any help you can give me. Nice chatting with y'all again. :-D :-D
Old 04-16-2011, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by irishrose
Oh, wow, what an assortment of machines. The Pfaff looks a lot like the Necchi I bought this week.

I just visited Craigslist again. The chrome bedecked turquoise machine I called a Domestic is a Universal in a blonde cabinet. Repeat after me, "I do NOT need another machine".
:roll: And what does that have to do with you getting it, funny girl??
Old 04-16-2011, 06:15 AM
Power Poster

How many times, in your Craig's list searches, have cars turned up in the search results? I'm so tired of people saying their used cars "run like a sewing machine"! What's up with that, anyway? I sure wouldn't want to drive something that ran like a sewing machine! When did this become such a cliche for a good-running old car? Crazy.

I need to find a new brush cap for a 221, and also for my 201, if anyone can sell me one. (PM me privately...) The cap for the 201 looks smaller than the one on the 221. Also, what would be the best method to get the old broken cap out of my 201 motor? The threaded top has broken off.
Old 04-16-2011, 06:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
How many times, in your Craig's list searches, have cars turned up in the search results? I'm so tired of people saying their used cars "run like a sewing machine"! What's up with that, anyway? I sure wouldn't want to drive something that ran like a sewing machine! When did this become such a cliche for a good-running old car? Crazy.
This saying goes back to the early days of the automobile. Remember the sewing machine came into play about 40 years before the automobile and was a major item to own. So they always compared the smooth running motor to the sound of a sewing machine. If you ever have sewn with a Vibrating Shuttle machine you know what I am talking about.

Billy
Old 04-16-2011, 06:37 AM
Power Poster

This saying goes back to the early days of the automobile. Remember the sewing machine came into play about 40 years before the automobile and was a major item to own. So they always compared the smooth running motor to the sound of a sewing machine. If you ever have sewn with a Vibrating Shuttle machine you know what I am talking about.

Billy
I have yet to have had that pleasure, but I'm looking for one! So Billy, have you got any spare brush caps laying around? :wink:
Old 04-16-2011, 06:42 AM

Post away!!!

Billy
Lord, have mercy! Where was this auction? Who owned all the machines?

(edit) Okay, went back and read and saw the post that told this auction was in MO... Was this a private collector's stash, or stuff from an antique store?
Private collector's stash. Plus old car stuff, wood working things, tractor things and hundreds of manuals for many different things EXCEPT sewing machines. There were several shuttle machines including some Davis' which the antique guy was drooling over. Many of the machines that used shuttles had shuttles in them. I did feel like I was in a fabric store. Which way do I turn to see/feel all the pretties and how many can I afford????? My DH and I did set a max amount to pay for one of the 301s b/c there is one I'd pay lots for, above the set limit, b/c it comes with a manual, a nice case and 3 boxes iof attachments plus about 20 bobbins.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:02 AM
Banned

No brush caps here but I can get them in if you need them, I have to make a stock order in a few days so I will put some of them in with it.

Billy
Old 04-16-2011, 07:17 AM

This is in Barnesville, S Ga
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/sat/atq/2326663182.html

This is in Suwanee
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/clt/2326591486.html

$50 red eye treadle and cabinet $50
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/atq/2325158800.html