Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-22-2011, 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by Kitzone
Irishrose - Thank you for the leads on Jolson and Nelco. I did a quick google search and didn't find any photo's that resemble my SM but I will do some further research. Judy
About a month ago, there was a pristine looking Jolson sewing machine for sale from an estate. The starting bid price was too much for my wallet, but I was interested in it. The history on Jolson and his Nelco brand is actually quite something. A true 'bootstraps' immigrant story of ingenuity and engineering.
Update: the machine didn't sell and it's up for sale again on Ebay. I just put another bid on it, but the reserve price is not met yet.
Old 05-22-2011, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by SnowQuilt
I have a Necchi SuperNova I think the motor is going bad on it. Can you still get motors for these? Will another motor from a different Necchi work? May seem like a strange question but I love the machine and really hate to gid rid of her. :)
SnowQuilt, Although I've not done this on a Necchi, I don't know why you couldn't perform a motorectomy.... Depending on your mechanical skills and comfort level,
the easiest would be to find another Supernova SM to use as a donor.
Have you considered joining the Necchi Yahoo group as Chris_Quilts and Irishrose had posted earlier to see if they had any suggestions?
Without knowing what the symptoms are with your motor, start with the simplest solution first: have you oiled your SM and lubricated the motor ?
Maybe others will have better suggestions for you but please keep us posted on how things work out.

Judy
Old 05-22-2011, 04:25 AM

Thank you miriam I think I'll pass on it .This board is so helpful,wonderful place to learn anything.
Old 05-22-2011, 04:31 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by Minnesota newbie
I was wondering how you post in the vintage machine shop area?I have an opportunity to get a singer 29k2 it has a very long arm,just wanted to know if you can quilt a fmotion with it?I can find pictures but know info as to what it all can do.thank you for your help
"You will be limited to smaller thread sizes (#92 top and & #69/92 bobbin) The machine you asked about is almost a century old shoe patcher. It has a tiny bobbin and produces very short stitches once you exceed 1/8" of leather. If the foot drive mechanism is worn out you may not get better than 7 or 8 stitches per inch. Its thickness limit is 1/4" under the foot.

If you can try the machine before you buy it, do so. If the drive puck is worn out (very short stitches at max setting) and the moving parts are rusty, pass on it. If the seller wants more than $100 - $200, pass on it." This is what I found on it.
I also found a manual for one similar http://parts.singerco.com/IPinstManuals/29-4.pdf
Old 05-22-2011, 04:53 AM

Anyone near Wichita KS need a nice Singer in a pretty bentwood case? Price is good for the condition.
Tommie

http://wichita.craigslist.org/atq/2395585010.html
Old 05-22-2011, 05:06 AM

Just thought I'd share a couple of photos of a partial set of White Attachments that I found this week. The last Patent Date on the Ruffler indicates Aug 23, 87. The copper colored metal box is a little rusty and the velvet lining has faded but the attachments look to be in good shape. I believe these originally went with the White VS IIb.
According to the info that I've read, White only made the basic attachments - Many White's would have attachments made by Goodrich, Greist, and Johnson.

Judy
Attached Thumbnails attachment-200404.jpe   attachment-200405.jpe  
Old 05-22-2011, 05:10 AM

did you see the FW on that same auction? It has a free arm![/quote]

No, I couldn't find the 222?

Nancy
Old 05-22-2011, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by Kitzone
Just thought I'd share a couple of photos of a partial set of White Attachments that I found this week. The last Patent Date on the Ruffler indicates Aug 23, 87. The copper colored metal box is a little rusty and the velvet lining has faded but the attachments look to be in good shape. I believe these originally went with the White VS IIb.
According to the info that I've read, White only made the basic attachments - Many White's would have attachments made by Goodrich, Greist, and Johnson.
Judy
I have just that treadle with a partial box as well. My Box is a little different, black in color.
Tommie
Old 05-22-2011, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
did you see the FW on that same auction? It has a free arm!
No, I couldn't find the 222?
Nancy[/quote]

Was it a "buy it now"? Those are hard to come by and ultra high priced, at least for my pocketbook.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Here is my latest quilt, Eagle Scout quilt, that I pieced with my Eldredge Two Spools, quilted with Singer 201K, attached binding with Davis NVF, and finished off with decorative stitch from Singer 238K- all in treadles. I love my vintage machines and treadling them!

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-124834-1.htm
Monica, love the quilt! I like your idea for the binding too! Great job, that young man is very lucky to get a home made quilt!

Nancy