Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-25-2011, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by quiltdoctor
Frister and Rossmann--
I went and picked up my $40.00 STEAL today. It is a beautiful handcrank. The serial number is 1274841. I found one just like it on Sewmuse and they had it dated about 1904. The badge says "Manufactured in Germany by Frister & Rossmann. Sole Agen W. Pierssene, 49 Fore St,
London EC.
She is gear driven machine and has everything she needs but a needle. The one needle with her is broken. The shuttle is there and one bobbin. The bobbin winder rubber is not good, but no surprise there. I never thought I would find such a beautiful machine. There is a celuloid tag on the wood that has been cleaned at some time and the lettering wiped off. I am trying every way I can to see what it says. This is what I think I can see so far:
M-- DUNN --S
NEW ITI ----------YNE
The first line is bigger lettering. The second line is smaller and I am not sure that any of those letters are correct. It is probably the dealer that sold the machine. Any ideas, anyone???

Texas Jan

BEAUTIFUL machine Jan, I'm so glad you went and got her!!

I'm betting that the tag is a name and town for the owner having the machine serviced. Mrs. Dunn..... in New whatever... ;)
Old 06-25-2011, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by HanNatNana
Frister and Rossmann--
I went and picked up my $40.00 STEAL today. It is a beautiful handcrank. The serial number is 1274841. I found one just like it on Sewmuse and they had it dated about 1904. The badge says "Manufactured in Germany by Frister & Rossmann. Sole Agen W. Pierssene, 49 Fore St,
London EC.
She is gear driven machine and has everything she needs but a needle. The one needle with her is broken. The shuttle is there and one bobbin. The bobbin winder rubber is not good, but no surprise there. I never thought I would find such a beautiful machine. There is a celuloid tag on the wood that has been cleaned at some time and the lettering wiped off. I am trying every way I can to see what it says. This is what I think I can see so far:
M-- DUNN --S
NEW ITI ----------YNE
The first line is bigger lettering. The second line is smaller and I am not sure that any of those letters are correct. It is probably the dealer that sold the machine. Any ideas, anyone???

Texas Jan
Jan, that's a really nice machine and in much better condition than mine, still it's good they have been rescued because the lady who sold mine was planning to bin it the next week. It had belonged to her great grandmother, unfortunately she didn't know any further history.

I'm just guessing here but suspect both machines might take the same needle? Can anyone give further info on needles?

Bronwyn ;-)
I'll bet they do. Glenn sent me a link for an owners manual. See if it will work for you too.
http://www.ismacs.net/fristerandross...se-shuttle.pdf

There was a lot of unauthorized "sharing" of technology going on back then.

Texas Jan
Old 06-25-2011, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Frister and Rossmann--
London EC.
M-- DUNN --S
NEW ITI ----------YNE

Texas Jan

BEAUTIFUL machine Jan, I'm so glad you went and got her!!

I'm betting that the tag is a name and town for the owner having the machine serviced. Mrs. Dunn..... in New whatever... ;)
Good thought Charlee. That could be it. I'll look at it some more tomorrow. My eyeballs are fried.

Texas Jan
Old 06-25-2011, 05:27 PM

OK, I need to stay home. I bought two FW last week that I have not got home yet. I bought a Huskystar 219 with a nice Kuala cabinet. Then I bought this some one will ha e to tell what I have. It is a slant needle about the same size as 301 without but has horizontal bobbin. Nice little machine has a lever to lift the needle plate instead of dropping the feed dogs. Cannot find a serial number on it or a model number so what is it?
Attached Thumbnails attachment-216742.jpe   attachment-216743.jpe   attachment-216744.jpe  
Old 06-25-2011, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by HanNatNana
Frister and Rossmann--
London EC.
M-- DUNN --S
NEW ITI ----------YNE

Texas Jan
Jan, that's a really nice machine and in much better condition than mine, still it's good they have been rescued because the lady who sold mine was planning to bin it the next week. It had belonged to her great grandmother, unfortunately she didn't know any further history.

I'm just guessing here but suspect both machines might take the same needle? Can anyone give further info on needles?

Bronwyn ;-)
I'll bet they do. Glenn sent me a link for an owners manual. See if it will work for you too.
http://www.ismacs.net/fristerandross...se-shuttle.pdf

There was a lot of unauthorized "sharing" of technology going on back then.

Texas Jan
Thanks Jan!!! That owners manual is great...think I'll print it on some leather-look paper I have. The machines are very similar although the bobbin winder on the Beale doesn't have the tall, centre thread guide...must find some time to get more acquainted with the machine but will wait until the builders have finished.

Thanks again
Bronwyn ;-)
Old 06-25-2011, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by QuilterGary
OK, I need to stay home. I bought two FW last week that I have not got home yet. I bought a Huskystar 219 with a nice Kuala cabinet. Then I bought this some one will ha e to tell what I have. It is a slant needle about the same size as 301 without but has horizontal bobbin. Nice little machine has a lever to lift the needle plate instead of dropping the feed dogs. Cannot find a serial number on it or a model number so what is it?
That looks just like my Singer 404. It's a great machine and that cabinet in the picture looks beautiful!!

Here is a link that tells you more about it: http://blog.sew-classic.com/2008/10/...ne-review.aspx
Old 06-25-2011, 05:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by skaduzy
Here is the head. I am going to try to show what the bobbin area looks like. I also have this round piece. I don't know what I am missing but I bet it is a lot.
I ordered a manual from some place in West Virginia and hope it will answer some questions for me.
Your W&W D-9 was made before 1905 when Singer bought the company. It takes an obsolete 127x1 needle, altho there is a Schmetz needle now that will replace it. (You can get these on ebay)
That needle plate might be hard to replace, check with Billy, and if he doesn't have one, send me a PM, I have an email address for a guy that might. Dunno what the collar goes to...maybe Billy will?
I think I have the Needle plate out in the studio. It is a really nice looking machine and you will love using it. Just remember it runs backwards from what the Singers run.

Billy
Old 06-25-2011, 05:46 PM

At first I thought "Enormous amount of money!!" Then I got to thinking that my 2nd hand Viking cost almost that much back in the mid-90s. Suddenly, it seems like a good deal!

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Ah, for the old days, when we could tell who was bidding on what!! I bet I know at least two guys who are bidding on this one, though!!

Wow...check this one out!! I'd break down and steal to get this machine (cuz I sure couldn't afford it!! :lol: )

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rare-Miniature-S...item5ae11d931a
It finished at $2025.00.... pretty lil machine!
Old 06-25-2011, 05:51 PM

The Pfaff has to stay until I can at least figure out the tension. It has the wrong spring, and I need to put a new one on it.

I have two more "modern" Jones HCs that will probably move on one of these days. Does anyone have any luck selling on the classifieds here?

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
You have to bring at least one machine that you no longer want. Do you have a Necchi Supernova in your stash? I would love trying to treadle that machine!

The other day, I made red beet chocolate cake that was a big hit. My husband hates red beets, but he loved the cake.

I have the pink one--Julia, I think. It's in great condition, but I plan to keep it electric. I had a very rough looking gray one, but gave it to a friend. My decision is (finally) that I can't keep them all!!
I have several that I need to leave my place of residence, but they won't listen to me.
Miz Johnny I will happily take the Pfaff treadle! Or one of the Jones HC's!

Nancy
Old 06-25-2011, 05:52 PM

Yes, lots--I have several that are. And I don't much like them, either!!

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by Phyllis nm
I got a 1926-66 at good will. The case is covered is snake skin fabric! Was that skin from the singer factory or a conversion? This fabric was the only thing holding the base together. I have removed it and I am going to glue it back together and recover it. I can use a snake skin [not my taste] or the FW black vinyl. What should it be? Thanks.
I think a lot of the cases were covered with a snake skin look fabric. My Mother's Pfaff 130's case looks like snake skin too.

Nancy