Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-30-2011, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by purplefiend
Bojangles,
Its beautiful!! The colors in your quilt are wonderful! I like to use different vintage machines to finish a quilt. I like the Pfaff 1222E for sewing bindings too, she's in the
Horn cabinet that she shares with her sister machines. I would like to see the whole quilt, please.
Sharon W.
Thank you Sharon. Here you go. This quilt is only 60X70, a small lap quilt.

Nancy
Love your quilt Nancy, the colours are really nice and that's something because usually I don't like anything blue.

Bronwyn ;-)
Old 06-30-2011, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
I started a quilting journal this morning, not my usual blog posting. So, what did I write about- my vintage sewing machines. I want my kids to have the story correct about my vintage machines: how I found them, how much I paid for them, the condition of the machines when I picked them up, the age of the machines, what I named the machines, what I mainly used the machines for, and what I made with them.
You know Monica, a journal is a great idea, but the guru's tell us to label our quilts with the important information too. Like the year you made it, who made the quilt, and yes it would be cool to put on the quilt all the vintage treadles, etc., that were used to make the quilt. Maybe, I will start doing that! Who knows, maybe 100 years from now some of our quilts will be used in a vintage collection display!

Nancy
What about making a quilt of the machines you own? The blocks could be embroidered or appliqued and have the machine name and other details underneath.

This is a quilt I made depicting Famous Sailing Ships, my 9yo DGD has it at the moment for 'show and tell' at school for their history studies. Since making this quilt I've bought fabric to make another one with First Fleet Ships but this is the style I was thinking about but featuring your machine collection.

You will notice in the first quilt photo it was tied, it was experimental and I didn't really like it then when I bought a HandiQuilter Frame it was one of the first projects....a bit backwards in that the binding and border quilting had already been done, but it worked OK.

The small table the Minerva Hand Crank sits one was this week's project and has now been restored, the little drawer has some old darning wool, hooks and eyes, crochet thread and a packet of needles as this was a table my MIL used as her sewing table and from memory she must have had a Singer 99 because I remember it was smaller than my mother's Singer.

Bronwyn ;-)

Bronwyn ;-)

Famous Sailing Ships (Tied)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]219150[/ATTACH]

Famous Sailing Ships (Quilted)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]219151[/ATTACH]

Minerva HandCrank
[ATTACH=CONFIG]219152[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-219144.jpe   attachment-219145.jpe   attachment-219146.jpe  
Old 06-30-2011, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Now, Bronwyn, that would be a hoot to pick you up at the airport.

Wouldn't it just?? If only air tickets weren't so expensive!!

Bronwyn ;-)

Originally Posted by HanNatNana
Originally Posted by Weedwoman
Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Let's see now, I have sorta lost count... how many are going junkin' and eatin' at dives with Charlee?????? :shock:
At this point, I think it will take a school bus dragging a semi trailer for the loot we find and all us collectors.

Hand in the air waving madly.....don't forget to swing by the airport to pick me up, ROFLMHO!!!! Wouldn't it be fun, would love to do something crazy like that because I don't know anyone who sews or has an interest in sewing machines.

Bronwyn ;-)
:-D
Old 06-30-2011, 04:52 PM

I started a quilting journal this morning, not my usual blog posting. So, what did I write about- my vintage sewing machines. I want my kids to have the story correct about my vintage machines: how I found them, how much I paid for them, the condition of the machines when I picked them up, the age of the machines, what I named the machines, what I mainly used the machines for, and what I made with them.
You know Monica, a journal is a great idea, but the guru's tell us to label our quilts with the important information too. Like the year you made it, who made the quilt, and yes it would be cool to put on the quilt all the vintage treadles, etc., that were used to make the quilt. Maybe, I will start doing that! Who knows, maybe 100 years from now some of our quilts will be used in a vintage collection display!

Nancy
What about making a quilt of the machines you own? The blocks could be embroidered or appliqued and have the machine name and other details underneath.

This is a quilt I made depicting Famous Sailing Ships, my 9yo DGD has it at the moment for 'show and tell' at school for their history studies. Since making this quilt I've bought fabric to make another one with First Fleet Ships but this is the style I was thinking about but featuring your machine collection.

You will notice in the first quilt photo it was tied, it was experimental and I didn't really like it then when I bought a HandiQuilter Frame it was one of the first projects....a bit backwards in that the binding and border quilting had already been done, but it worked OK.

The small table the Minerva Hand Crank sits one was this week's project and has now been restored, the little drawer has some old darning wool, hooks and eyes, crochet thread and a packet of needles as this was a table my MIL used as her sewing table and from memory she must have had a Singer 99 because I remember it was smaller than my mother's Singer.

Bronwyn ;-)

Bronwyn ;-)
That is a excellent idea! I could take pictures of them and then do the photos on fabric process. That would be way cool with vintage theme of the fabric print, or black and white fabrics with a splash of red or may be gold (since the machines have decals with gold). Thanks for the tip!

I love your quit! I like waves around the one border. do you live by the sea or do you sail? I love your setup with the Minvera Hand Crank and the white lace runner on the table top!

Thanks for sharing your beautiful quilt with us!
Old 06-30-2011, 05:03 PM
Power Poster

It would be neat to have a page of just only quilts made on treadles on the Quilting Forum. Maybe give the info you already are describing. Show the plastic people what can be done on gutsy vintage machines.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by miriam
It would be neat to have a page of just only quilts made on treadles on the Quilting Forum. Maybe give the info you already are describing. Show the plastic people what can be done on gutsy vintage machines.
I had thought the same thing today while working on the vintage cabinet and machine. I would post my work! :thumbup:
Old 06-30-2011, 05:29 PM

So M'friends....what's your opinion on this one? Should I pick it up for $50?
Attached Thumbnails attachment-219201.jpe   attachment-219202.jpe   attachment-219203.jpe  
Old 06-30-2011, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
So M'friends....what's your opinion on this one? Should I pick it up for $50?
Yes!! I like it for the machine alone. I also like the cabinet but I know that cabinet isn't liked very well by some people on here.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:24 PM

Nancy

Bronwyn ;-)

Bronwyn ;-)
That is a excellent idea! I could take pictures of them and then do the photos on fabric process. That would be way cool with vintage theme of the fabric print, or black and white fabrics with a splash of red or may be gold (since the machines have decals with gold). Thanks for the tip!

I love your quit! I like waves around the one border. do you live by the sea or do you sail? I love your setup with the Minvera Hand Crank and the white lace runner on the table top!

Thanks for sharing your beautiful quilt with us!
Photos on fabric is another option that I hadn't thought of!! I've got some sewing theme fabric to make a wall quilt for my sewing room but it's on the very long to-do list!! LOL

I live near the ocean and because it was a sailing theme decided the waves were a good choice....although they were my first attempt at FMQ so aren't as good as they should have been.

That's OK, I had forgotten I had that photo of Minnie Minerva and found it when searching for the Ships Quilt photo.

Bronwyn ;-)
Old 06-30-2011, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by miriam
I had thought the same thing today while working on the vintage cabinet and machine. I would post my work! :thumbup:
Good idea! Miriam I love your comment re plastic people because so many of them think we are crazy...but we know differently, don't we?

Bronwyn ;-)