Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-12-2011, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by Candace
I just put in an offer on a Singer 319W. Green one:> We'll see if it'll be coming home with me tomorrow....
Ouch! I was thinking about bidding on that one on ebay, but will defer to you! Don't want to fight with a fellow quilter!!!! I hope you get it so I can enjoy it vicariously through you! I also have my eye on a 328... :thumbup:
Old 08-12-2011, 05:31 AM

I won the bid on a Spartan on shopgoodwill.com this morning! Can't wait to get it!
Old 08-12-2011, 05:57 AM

miriam - if that virginia creeper is anything like poision ivy in my yard - round-up doesn't kill it. takes something stronger. i'm sure you know that if you're sensitive to it that burning it anywhere near you is a no-no.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by deplaylady
I had a nice surprise today - my shopgoodwill package arrived a day early so I have a new green machine! Singer 185J, JD777980 - 1954(date found after relocating the Singer serial numbers!) I had to put a new belt on it, but I had it ready because I knew it was missing it. It runs really nice!
Actually it looks like you have a 185K because of the faceplate. But it could have been changed out sometime in its life....... But the "K's" had the half chrome and paint faceplate.

Billy
Is that the only difference between the 185J and 185K? The 1/2 and 1/2 faceplate? At first I thought it was the color until I saw some in green and not just tan. If that's if I wonder if someone changed the faceplate - would have been easier than the number plate. Do you know the years they made the starting making 185's and how long they made them?
Old 08-12-2011, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
I'd LOVE to have that machine!! Always said I didn't have a need for more than one FW, or any other model, but I'd snag it if I could talk him/her down in price! It's not worth THAT much, but with the special badge, would be worth more than the norm....
Old 08-12-2011, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by lovelyl
I just put in an offer on a Singer 319W. Green one:> We'll see if it'll be coming home with me tomorrow....
Ouch! I was thinking about bidding on that one on ebay, but will defer to you! Don't want to fight with a fellow quilter!!!! I hope you get it so I can enjoy it vicariously through you! I also have my eye on a 328... :thumbup:
No, I put in an offer on a local one...$40. We'll see if they accept. The one on ebay is too much for me!
Old 08-12-2011, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
I'd LOVE to have that machine!! Always said I didn't have a need for more than one FW, or any other model, but I'd snag it if I could talk him/her down in price! It's not worth THAT much, but with the special badge, would be worth more than the norm....
and here I thought my fellow canucks were crazy with the so called "antique" machine prices.....
Old 08-12-2011, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by miriam
Well, it isn't poison ivy but Virginia Creeper that's all over me. It responds to nothing. Dr. says it is a whole lot more intense than PI. And we do have it all over the yard... I've never had anything like this. DH has it too. We have never been into Round Up but I'm thinking we will give it a sporting chance. I just figured it was poison ivy since it is also all over the yard. There was even a vine of PI growing in the living room window. See my blog. If I could I would sew - too much misery. LOL

Miriam are you encountering all of this ivy and creeper at the new old house?
Old 08-12-2011, 08:11 AM

Oh my! A great listing for a "Vintage" Featherweight on my local CL appeared this afternoon. I wonder how old is vintage in their minds?! LOL!!!!!!! http://sacramento.craigslist.org/atq/2541744772.html

:thumbdown: :thumbdown:
EEEEK a plastic wonder masquerading as a Featherweight. :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :roll:
Old 08-12-2011, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Suzi
Originally Posted by miriam
Well, it isn't poison ivy but Virginia Creeper that's all over me. It responds to nothing. Dr. says it is a whole lot more intense than PI. And we do have it all over the yard... I've never had anything like this. DH has it too. We have never been into Round Up but I'm thinking we will give it a sporting chance. I just figured it was poison ivy since it is also all over the yard. There was even a vine of PI growing in the living room window. See my blog. If I could I would sew - too much misery. LOL
Here's an explanation of Virginia Creeper. We have it all over and have not had a problem with it during the 50 years we've been in contact with the plants and I am super sensitive to topical irritants.. It had 5 leaves, not 3, and have never heard of it being toxic. Learn something new every day.

Since Virginia creeper is one of the plants mistaken for poison ivy, many people wonder if it is "poisonous" in the sense that poison ivy is poisonous. The sap flowing through Virginia creeper vines does contain oxalate crystals, which can be an irritant for a small percentage of people. If you're unsure as to whether you're one of those people, don't touch Virginia creeper, since the result of contact could be a nasty skin rash. Nor should you eat Virginia creeper berries.
WOW!! Never knew that Virginia Creeper was poisonous and could be sensitive to some. Thanks for sharing this! I learned something new today.

Miriam, Hope you recover quickly!