Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 09-16-2011, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by justtrish
Originally Posted by annthreecats
I have a question about my Singer 401A presser feet. Some of the additional feet I received with the machine have rust on them. Can I clean them and if I can, how should I clean them? Thanks for all your help. You guys ROCK!!
I wipe mine down with kerosene. Then I brush them off with a scotch brite pad. To finish, I use the mothers mag polish on them to make it all shiny!
Thank you for your help. That's exactly what I needed.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:41 AM

General question - do all of the Singer 99 models have a reverse feature? I'm eyeballing a machine on eBay right now, but it looks a little different from others I've seen in the past. Most of them have a "slider" (for want of a better word) on the right side, but this one has just a little knob. Is that the reverse?
Old 09-16-2011, 07:56 AM

I just told my DH is is officially an enabler. He was out for a ride with his DM and they stopped at a yard sale. They had a treadle machine, I looked up the serial number and it is a 1898. This is the second machine that I have that does not have info on the model, etc. These pre1900 machines, did they even have a designation of 99, 66, etc?
Old 09-16-2011, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Candace
Oh my. I wouldn't pay the asking price, but I've never seen this one before! http://www.ebay.com/itm/ZUNDAPP-Germ...ht_1705wt_1398
I think this guy may be kidding himself. Wouldn't someone here know if this machine was super
valuable?.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Suzi
Originally Posted by deplaylady
Or you could go for this one - it's half the price - but a lot less machine! (It's kind of cute, just very pricey!) It has free shipping. too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/260853041344
Better hurry on this one ...... someone is already on it!!!

:roll:
Isn't that the cutest little thing? To me this would be more valuable simply because I've never in my life seen a machine styled like this. The green thing is "just a sewing machine" in my eyes!
Old 09-16-2011, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by justtrish
Originally Posted by annthreecats
I have a question about my Singer 401A presser feet. Some of the additional feet I received with the machine have rust on them. Can I clean them and if I can, how should I clean them? Thanks for all your help. You guys ROCK!!
I wipe mine down with kerosene. Then I brush them off with a scotch brite pad. To finish, I use the mothers mag polish on them to make it all shiny!

You mean the Mothers line of car cleaning products?
Old 09-16-2011, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Candace
Oh my. I wouldn't pay the asking price, but I've never seen this one before! http://www.ebay.com/itm/ZUNDAPP-Germ...ht_1705wt_1398
Wow...that's a pretty amazing looking machine!!
Old 09-16-2011, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
That little 99 handcranck is adorable. It is still on my wish list.

Originally Posted by jljack
Pics of the TOGA last weekend.
It's alot of fun to use, too. I made that whole machine cover on it after we put the handcrank on it there. It is so cool...my grandaughters are already arguing about who gets to use it first!! LOL
Old 09-16-2011, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by DonnaC
General question - do all of the Singer 99 models have a reverse feature? I'm eyeballing a machine on eBay right now, but it looks a little different from others I've seen in the past. Most of them have a "slider" (for want of a better word) on the right side, but this one has just a little knob. Is that the reverse?
The early 99s do not have reverse.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:37 AM

Thanks Janice! I guess if it doesn't have the "slider" it's an early model. I'll have to think about it... the machine is so pretty, and the decals are in such nice shape, that I'm really torn about it...

Although I remember when I learned to sew (back when dinosaurs roamed the earth), we always had to start a half-inch from the end of the seam, sew to the end, then turn the fabric around and continue to sew the seam... that's what I do on my hand-crank model now....this is not helping me with the temptation of buying that 99!