Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 12-12-2010, 05:50 AM

d
Originally Posted by irishrose
I had the Olde English in my hand at the store today. I wasn't sure about whether to go with the light or dark. I think dark will cover more blemishes, but it a moot point for now. We are starting a 12 inch snowfall. I'll be grounded tomorrow.
I use both, I like the light for lighter woods, obviously. Sometimes the dark one on the light wood shows up the scratches. There are some magic markers for wood restoratioin in 3 colors that can be blended and fill in the chips and dings in cabinets that I love for the "repairs", then go over with your favorite furniture polish, only a word of caution about furniture polishes, some of the sprays used to have silicone in them and once used they go into the wood and will sometimes cause the furniture finish to look blotchy and will cettainly present a problem if you try to strip and refinish a cabinet. I started hobbying in the early 1970's and have hand refinished many pieces of furniture, and have sometimes resorted to a professional if the piece was too big or more than I wanted to take on. :-)
Old 12-12-2010, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by patdesign
I started hobbying in the early 1970's and have hand refinished many pieces of furniture, and have sometimes resorted to a professional if the piece was too big or more than I wanted to take on. :-)
Patdesign, is that a Pug with your featherweight? Sure is a cute picture!

Does anyone know about the Free Sewing Machine Co from Rockford, Illinois? I have a friend who has a friend whose parents just passed away and she wants to find a home for her Mother's 'Free" treadle. I guess their are 3 machines, one treadle. I don't know what the others are yet. I tried doing some research on line - not much information.

Does a "Free" take a special needle? Anyone? This is suppose to be a Free #5 , SS C83642, which I found out is a vibrating shuttle in an "oak or fummed oak" cabinet.

Nancy
Old 12-12-2010, 07:42 AM

I'd be interested in machines from Rockford, she could PM me with pics and prices. I'm from Rockford, but only recently learned that a few brands of machines were made there
Old 12-12-2010, 08:22 AM

One more reason to use a treadle: they burn more calories, lol
Old 12-12-2010, 09:52 AM

Has anyone ever seen a machine like this one ?It belonged to my husbands great grandmother. She would be 150 years old.Would like to know how old and who made it
Attached Thumbnails attachment-142179.jpe   attachment-142180.jpe   attachment-142181.jpe   attachment-142183.jpe   attachment-142184.jpe  

Old 12-12-2010, 10:45 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by Ohio Star Quilter
The serial number on mine is L054685. So even in 1891 they used a letter before the numbers. Thank you for the compliment on my machine and cabinet. Took a lot of work to get it to that point.
Judy
Really, that just goes to show we can't believe everything we read! I read that New Home didn't put letters in front of the serial numbers until 1930. Now, I am even more interested in the year of my machine. I will have to call that number on Monay and find out what year mine was made, although, I know it is not anywhere near the age of yours.

Nancy
I have the companies records as far as the serial numbers go and none of them have letters in front of them. So I dont now where they found the information from but I would like to see it.

Billy
Old 12-12-2010, 10:50 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by proudmom914
Has anyone ever seen a machine like this one ?It belonged to my husbands great grandmother. She would be 150 years old.Would like to know how old and who made it
Looks like a badged National from just taking a quick look at her.

Billy
Old 12-12-2010, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Really, that just goes to show we can't believe everything we read! I read that New Home didn't put letters in front of the serial numbers until 1930. Now, I am even more interested in the year of my machine. I will have to call that number on Monay and find out what year mine was made, although, I know it is not anywhere near the age of yours.

Nancy

I have the companies records as far as the serial numbers go and none of them have letters in front of them. So I dont now where they found the information from but I would like to see it.

Billy
Billy here is the site http://needlebar.org/nbwiki/index.ph...achine_Company

Go down about a 4th of the page to the title "Late 19th/20 Century New Home Machines."

The 3rd paragraph starts, "After the Free Sewing Machine Company took over New Home some models were sold under both the New Home and Free Name (as well as other badged names). New Home machines started to use letters in front of their serial numbers in about 1930. The letters represent the model type. This applied to all models, including those with Badged names."

This is a Needlebar site, so I believed them. My New Home starts with the letters NHR 114370, which I take means New Home Round bobbin?

Anyway, I just learned something about the "Free Sewing Machine Company" too. Although, I think the treadle I am inquiring about is way before the take over.

Nancy
Old 12-12-2010, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Maia B
I'd be interested in machines from Rockford, she could PM me with pics and prices. I'm from Rockford, but only recently learned that a few brands of machines were made there
Maia B, I will let you know what I find out about the "The Free #5." I have been in a horse clinic all weekend so I haven't had time to talk to my friend about her friend's treadle.

Nancy
Old 12-12-2010, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51

Billy
Billy can you age my New Home by the serial number? NHR 114370?

Nancy

I will go take some pictures and post them.

New Home
[ATTACH=CONFIG]142569[/ATTACH]

New Home back
[ATTACH=CONFIG]142571[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-142564.jpe   attachment-142566.jpe