Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 101 of 247 FirstFirst ... 51 91 100 101 102 111 151 201 ... LastLast
Results 2,501 to 2,525 of 6168

Thread: [DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

Here we are.... 30 something women from around the world. We've never met and chances are high most of us never will. New Zealand, Canada, Netherlands, Japan, Britain, America... and probably some I've missed, is there anyone from Australia? How impressive is that list!

We all started this journey at the beginning of the year, our goal is to make the same quilt that Jane Stickle made in 1863. 169 blocks.... 52 triangles... and 4 kites. She can't have done it in one year, surely it took longer!

We're not out to defraud, we're not out to start a war.... we just want to quilt, we just want to sew together, and learn, and laugh, and no doubt sometimes cry.

Admin doesn't want to shut us down, they just want to protect their site. If someone mentions the dreaded copyright word (I'm too scared to even type it! ;-) it's not an offence punishable by death! The post will be deleted, that's all. No hanging, no whipping, no court date.

We can still post photos of how a block went together, the tricky parts, how we got around it, etc. And if we step over the line, admin will no doubt let us know, and we'll adjust ourselves, and carry on.

So lets get back to what we're here for.... being part of the biggest and bestest online group to ever make a Jane Stickle quilt. :-)

One more thing..... can someone get me an IV line for my coffee this morning please. ;-)

Well said Blue, I second that and you forgot me here in lonely old Spain. :?

Someone told me it took Jane Stickle 4 years to make her quilt I am sure it was Lesley (Lacelady) and taking into account she had to design all those adorable and sometimes insane blocks I think she did well.

Now lets do it, we can and quicker. There are loads of sites out there with help on how to do the blocks, so I am sure we can do this and without offending anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Butterflyspain

Someone told me it took Jane Stickle 4 years to make her quilt I am sure it was Lesley (Lacelady) and taking into account she had to design all those adorable and sometimes insane blocks I think she did well.

Now lets do it, we can and quicker. There are loads of sites out there with help on how to do the blocks, so I am sure we can do this and without offending anyone.
    DOH! Sorry! I knew there was a little island somewhere, I kept thinking of Guam and knew that wasn't it. It's early, and I haven't had enough coffee yet... that's my story and I'm sticking to it! ;-)

While browsing sites and photos there was one where a woman had made the JS quilt in SEVENTY SIX DAYS! That's right... DAYS, not years! lol I can't remember which one it was, but her hubby was in hospital and she sewed while visiting him. How impressive is that.

I agree with what Blue said! Let's go for it ladies!!!

Blog Entries
    Well Ladies I hadn't seen this til now.

I have a free teaching site and had given some thought of putting my tutorials on there as well as here. If anyone would like I can put the tutorials on my site. I am still going to do my tutorials if anyone wants them. I don't have to put them on here.

so if this is something you would like to add to just let me know here or on my site. The link is in my signature. I will have to set up a catagory for them but that is no problem. Anyone who wants to add tutorials is more than welcome! We will be careful of the copyright issue but that shouldn't be too tough.

Wow I have missed loads this weekend!!!!
    Well I do not think anyone should panic this is do-able as many have said. We just need to reword things a bit and be sure that none of the patterns are fully visable. I do not see why we can't show the difficult parts as long as the full pattern is not visable and no names of blocks show.
    I SAY PARTY ON
    :thumbup:

this name popped into my head

Klue's Krew's Journey

Quote Originally Posted by cheriffic
    I SAY PARTY ON
    :thumbup:
    AMEN!

:-D :-D

Is anyone in the group doing hand piecing? I've done hexagons before, and I'm thinking of tackling part of one of Week 4's triangles by hand.

Any tips for me?

Good one Luv! How is your DH today?

Blue, LS10 has two set in seams on the bottom. I sewed up to the middle a quarter of an inch away set my needle and sewed the rest of the way and then pressed it. Hope I explained this properly. I would also check out 'that quilt', she may tell you better directions. You could hand stitch it also.

Quote Originally Posted by Janstar
    Blue, LS10 has two set in seams on the bottom. I sewed up to the middle a quarter of an inch away set my needle and sewed the rest of the way and then pressed it. Hope I explained this properly. I would also check out 'that quilt', she may tell you better directions. You could hand stitch it also.
    Yeah... that's the bit I'm thinking of. Maybe I should have a go by machine. Am I feeling brave today?!? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by BlueChicken
    Quote Originally Posted by Butterflyspain

DOH! Sorry! I knew there was a little island somewhere, I kept thinking of Guam and knew that wasn't it. It's early, and I haven't had enough coffee yet... that's my story and I'm sticking to it! ;-)

While browsing sites and photos there was one where a woman had made the JS quilt in SEVENTY SIX DAYS! That's right... DAYS, not years! lol I can't remember which one it was, but her hubby was in hospital and she sewed while visiting him. How impressive is that.
    You must post a link if you find it again!!

Is anyone in the group doing hand piecing? I've done hexagons before, and I'm thinking of tackling part of one of Week 4's triangles by hand.

Any tips for me?

I was going to try it it too I am not great at applique so we shall see.

Quote Originally Posted by cheriffic

Any tips for me?

I was going to try it it too I am not great at applique so we shall see.
    I wasn't thinking of applique.... I meant the one where you baste the fabric round a paper template, then whipstitch the seam by hand, like hexagons are done.

I'm going to save the applique for the little diamonds and melons Jane was so fond of! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Janstar
    Good one Luv! How is your DH today?
    he is fine although a little nervous about all this. he is also keeping busy with his woodworking while it is warm enough to do so thank you for asking

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda
    Well Ladies I hadn't seen this til now.

I have a free teaching site and had given some thought of putting my tutorials on there as well as here. If anyone would like I can put the tutorials on my site. I am still going to do my tutorials if anyone wants them. I don't have to put them on here.

so if this is something you would like to add to just let me know here or on my site. The link is in my signature. I will have to set up a catagory for them but that is no problem. Anyone who wants to add tutorials is more than welcome! We will be careful of the copyright issue but that shouldn't be too tough.
    Rhonda, I speak for myself but I would love to see how you are doing your blocks! I have used your method and I am so completly satisfied with the blocks I have made. I just have to get the rest of the set of blocks (week two) finished so I can post them.
    Phyllis

Blog Entries
    Thanks Phyllis. It is nice to know if anyone is interested or I am just wasting my time. I am slow getting these done as I have other things getting in the way but I am working on them and will have all of them on eventually. I am putting them on my BitsnPiecesWorkshop site. I set up a page and am in the process of setting up the individual blocks. I'll let you know when there is something to see. I am sad that I can't put them on here anymore but oh well. That is why I set up my free site to share my methods so no problem!

Thanks Rhonda I will keep checking too
    Cher

Blog Entries
    Ok Cher I will let you know when I get some up to see.

Any tips for me?
    I've done about 50 by hand, it takes longer. A lot longer to do each block (real lonnnnnnggggg). I also think the paper pieced ones look 100 times better. I'm even thinking about redoing all the ones I did by hand, but then again you may be a perfect hand sewer and won't have my issues, so don't let me scare you!

Rhonda, I think your help is very appreciated.

I'll be watching your blog for instructions too. Thank you Rhonda.

Quote Originally Posted by NorBanaquilts

Any tips for me?
    I've done about 50 by hand, it takes longer. A lot longer to do each block (real lonnnnnnggggg). I also think the paper pieced ones look 100 times better. I'm even thinking about redoing all the ones I did by hand, but then again you may be a perfect hand sewer and won't have my issues, so don't let me scare you!
    LOL I think my hand sewing is pretty good... but far from perfect! :-)

I might have a go, just for the sake of it. I think a machined seam is always going to look nicer though.

Page 101 of 247 FirstFirst ... 51 91 100 101 102 111 151 201 ... LastLast