Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011 >

[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

Old 12-24-2009, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by okie
Klue you posted a color chart for those who might want to follow your color way. I want to see if I am reading it right. For the first week using the strip fabric Blocks M8 and K9 you use the 3 red section assuming your going left to right. You are not using the section closest to the selvages (red with white dots) so moving to the 3 red section that would be the one with the very small heart pairs. Okay for I9 it's the 2nd white section which I describe as grape bunches. Then the TR5 is the 1st red section looks like a border print with flowers. Am I reading your chart right?
Klue the TR5 would be the red section with the curly vines instead of the border print, right. You are not counting the border strip which is the dots and border flowers as one strip. Hope this makes sense.
Old 12-24-2009, 07:53 AM

Glad to hear my post put at least one or two minds at ease!!

KLue, I'm glad it was a scare and not the real deal. We've seen a few board members struggle with serious health issues, and it really sucks. I do love your thought process though...sounds like you are very good at keeping things close to the vest...I'd be talking about it incessantly - To your health my dear, to your health!

As for paper piecing - a few tips I have learning along the way. DO NOT get skimpy on the fabric pieces or you will regret it. Cut them too big because if you eyeball it and think you are cutting "just the right amount" it WILL come up short. It's Murphy's Law!! And, if a block is particularly complex with curves, etc, I leave the paper on until I'm ready to stitch it together with more pieces. The paper acts as glue to keep it in shape, particularly if you have any bias going where over the next 18 months the block will just sit there!!

Oh, and hey ladies, Merry Christmas!! The big man is flying high and my kids are about ready to jump out of their skin!!! Particularly my 7-year-old. Let me tell you..this is what it's all about, for sure!!
Old 12-24-2009, 09:28 AM

brazen your block turned out beautiful knew you could do it if i can anyone can

klue glad that everything turned out ok. i am a"glass is half full" kind of gal where my husband is a "glass is half empty" person so i am able to get both sides.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:42 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by kluedesigns
Originally Posted by BlueChicken
The other thing to keep in mind is that this is all voluntary .... no one is saying that we *have* to send our quilts around, or *have* to participate in the blog. :-)

The more the merrier, obviously, but it's not compulsory. :-)
yes, i imagine more will be out then in. people are very protective of the quilts and let alone a jane quilt.

i have no problem with it - my jane is going to be a picnic blanket - so if i'm willing to lay it down in the grass and dirt i certainly don't have a problem with it hanging in a few locations before i do so.
A WHAT? How could you Klue? You will be telling us next that if it gets dirty, you will throw it in the washing machine with gay abandon!
Old 12-24-2009, 09:58 AM

I am getting nervous after reading all of these threads. I am a beginning quilter and have never done paper piecing, applique or triangles. I ordered the software and hope it comes in soon so I can start practicing with it. Am I getting in over my head???? I plan on making a bright colorful quilt from what I have in my stash and am looking at fabric depot for the background fabric - with a coupon I got for signing up I can get 15 yards for about 52.00 before shipping. Don't want to order if you think I am in too deep......
Old 12-24-2009, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by savannahs_nana
I am getting nervous after reading all of these threads. I am a beginning quilter and have never done paper piecing, applique or triangles. I ordered the software and hope it comes in soon so I can start practicing with it. Am I getting in over my head???? I plan on making a bright colorful quilt from what I have in my stash and am looking at fabric depot for the background fabric - with a coupon I got for signing up I can get 15 yards for about 52.00 before shipping. Don't want to order if you think I am in too deep......
you won't be alone you will have lots of people to draw from their experience. go for it. you might rregret it if you do. with the experience you will get from doing this quilt the sky will be the limit for you
Old 12-24-2009, 12:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Lacelady
Originally Posted by kluedesigns
Originally Posted by BlueChicken
The other thing to keep in mind is that this is all voluntary .... no one is saying that we *have* to send our quilts around, or *have* to participate in the blog. :-)

The more the merrier, obviously, but it's not compulsory. :-)
yes, i imagine more will be out then in. people are very protective of the quilts and let alone a jane quilt.

i have no problem with it - my jane is going to be a picnic blanket - so if i'm willing to lay it down in the grass and dirt i certainly don't have a problem with it hanging in a few locations before i do so.
A WHAT? How could you Klue? You will be telling us next that if it gets dirty, you will throw it in the washing machine with gay abandon!
but of course :-D

i do most things with gay abandon :oops:
Old 12-24-2009, 12:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by savannahs_nana
fabric depot is great, the shipping is kinda slow for me, i'm on the east coast and they're on the west coast.

they discount stuff all the time so sign up for the newletter.

don't feel overwhelmed, while you might be a beginner now by the end of this you'll be a professional.

this is the best quilt i've ever seen that has so many different techniques of quilting.

just jump in with both feet and we'll get you to the finish line.
Old 12-24-2009, 12:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Brazen
Thank you Klue, Blue and SewSew!! I wondered if I would feel the "addictive" part of this, and I do! I hope that feeling carries me thru the 18 months so this doesn't end up as another UFO for me.

So I broke out the DJ software to see about printing up our first blocks' pattern: M8

I'm only familiar with Amma's tutorial.... and when I printed out the paper piecing pattern for M8, it's in sections, and not one whole block that I sew the fabric on to.

So this time, I work in sections? And when all of the sections are complete, THEN sew those together to finish the block? That does make sense; even typing it out here helps me figure it out.

Section B's #5 pieces are INSANELY small!

Oh, and I didn't mention last night in my post (at 2am!!!) that I now know what you all mean by "waste" fabric that PP'ers have. I wasted ALOT doing that one little block up there. It seemed that if I cut my piece of fabric right down to 1/4" bigger than it needed to be, it was too small. So I was using very large chunks of the fabric to do it.
yes, you sew setions and then sew the sections to make the block.

very few paper piecing patterns or blocks aren't in sections. amma did that tute with that pattern because its the easiest one to learn PP on.

when you start sewing the sections together, leave the paper on the sections except if a seam is going to trap the paper behind it.

if you're going to trap paper behind a seam while sewing it together remove that seam paper section only - this way nothing will get trapped behind the seam and the seam will lay flatter because you've removed some of the bulk.
Old 12-24-2009, 12:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by okie
Klue you posted a color chart for those who might want to follow your color way. I want to see if I am reading it right. For the first week using the strip fabric Blocks M8 and K9 you use the 3 red section assuming your going left to right. You are not using the section closest to the selvages (red with white dots) so moving to the 3 red section that would be the one with the very small heart pairs. Okay for I9 it's the 2nd white section which I describe as grape bunches. Then the TR5 is the 1st red section looks like a border print with flowers. Am I reading your chart right?
thats not how the color chart is to be read - it doesn't relate to fabric selection pattern at all.

the sections refer to which diagonal stripe the block falls into. i plan on keeping all my blocks in accordion file holders labeled by section and this way i'll know which block go in which section.

when i'm making fabric selection i'll pull that file holder and look thru the blocks to make fabric choices.

when we get further along i'll move out of the folders and onto the design wall and just keep everything up there.