Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 194 of 247 FirstFirst ... 94 144 184 193 194 195 204 244 ... LastLast
Results 4,826 to 4,850 of 6168

Thread: [DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

Super Member QuiltswithConvicts's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Oh, WOW, Meredith!!!

What's wrong with sashings & cornerstones on the bottom? Is it because they're not 1/4" finished? Why couldn't you just trim them down to 1/2" as attached; that way they would finish at 1/4" after all. Then you could stitch the other 3 edges and trim after sewing. fJust an idea to save you from having to frog-stitch.

Kathy

That looks so pretty Meredith! I'm excited for you! I also feel honored that you used my block, it does look good in your quilt!

Congrats Patti on quilting your last block!! You are really rolling along!

I finished my last block and am working on the last few tris. Been working alot so have been slowed down a bit.

congrats patti on the last block quilted. :-D

meredith that is one beautiful quilt :-D

Gosh Meredith that is beautiful all laid out. Love it the colours are just beautiful.

Elle

Blog Entries
    Oh Meredith!!!! It is gorgeous! I love, love, love it, but you knew I would since I love your fabs. You are the one really on a roll. Isn't it a great milestone feeling to have that parts one!

I unsewed the bottom of row M last night and only lack unsewing 5 more of the column 13 blocks where I stitched the right side on. I did consider just trimming them down Kathy, like you suggested, but in the end decided that I want the tris to really stand out. I was afraid that the cornerstone would detract from the tri points. Hahahah...I'm very optimistic that I won't cut the points off when I sew them together :lol:

Its a beauty Meredith....you can really puff your chest out for this one!

Blog Entries
    Those cornerstone/sashings wouldn't dare to even try to compete with your tris!!!

I kind of look at the sashings as a stopping place - sort of a divider between the blocks then the tris! Besides, how much competition can a little oe 1/4" sashing be?

Blog Entries
    beautiful Meridith, wish I was caught up. Soon I hope, Son is facing an auto bone marrow transplant ,dont know just when.guess what he now has a little bit of stubble on his head and face.. lol we can start calling him Harry soon.,

Think you are all doing great things with your DJs cant wait till I get caught up AGAIN. Guess what I did one block today, sat and hand sewed it. Looks a lot better than the last try I can tell you.

I am so looking forward to seeing all our quilts done and then of course the start of the AOTH quilt. I think I will go with a light back ground on this one, dont like sewing on black hurst my eyes a bit especially if there is going to be a lot of hand sewing, just a thought, may be a nice cream, it will look very different however. any one else got any thoughts on it.

Elle
    Happy New Year everyone, may you have Health, Wealth and most of all Happiness.
    I was telling one of my spanish friends the traditions in Scotland on a New Years night. Its called First Footing. What happens is someone who is tall dark and handsome has to knock on you door at just midnight and when you welcome him into your home he must carry with him a piece of coal and a bottle (alcohol). another friend from the North of England said they did something similar but it was Bread, coal and money. This was to bring food, warmth and wealth into the home. Have you any traditions in America.

Blog Entries
    Happy New Year to all DJers everywhere. I hope you all get your quilts done in 2011. It's midnight here NOW!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Happy New Year!

Blog Entries
    Happy New Year everyone! Some of us are celebrating earlier than others and then some of us (me) will be celebrating before midnight US- Tennessee time. I just don't do the stay up that late thing anymore. So I'll just be snuggled into my warm bed all safe and cozy.

Elle...I had heard of those customs. I think here we all just watch things slide down a pole to count down to midnight. (In New York, it is a huge crystal ball made by Tiffany, in Memphis, TN, its a huge guitar, and so on) Then lots and lots of people get drunk and act a fool, then spend the 1st day of the New Year nursing a massive hang over. LOL!

Actually there are some traditions. We apply meaning to the 1st big meal of the New Year. It is regional..like most other things, but here in the southeast US..we eat Turnip greens (to gain wealth in the New Year), black-eyed peas (for good luck in the New Year), Ham (I have NO idea why we eat that) and cornbread (no idea on this one either). All I know is that my family missed 1 year of eating black eyed peas---that year, our house burned..we rented a house boat for vacation-that caught on fire and burned too, and something else bad happened that year, I can't remember what it was..but it was bad...we have never missed the peas since though!

Happy New Year everybody!

I know about why we have ham. It is because pigs root forward, so you should have pork in some fashion. Should not have chicken because chickens scratch backward.

Up north, pickled herring was always on the menu. And pickled pig's feet! Don't know why, just know that we always had that at home.

Happy New Year!

Blog Entries
    Hmmm...had no idea about that Shem...thats interesting! Its amazing what all you learn on this board! LOL! Now...I don't know if I could do the pickled herring or pickled pig's feet..another fun New Years fact!

HAPPY NEW YEAR

Happy New Year all!!! :lol: We have a ball of lights in Bricktown, our downtown area, and the ball rises at midnight on New Years. A little different from Times Square. :D Lesley, is that your picture? Lovely fireworks display.

Jolo, the best to you and your son this year.

Thank you, everyone, for your support and nice comments about my Baby Jane. On to the tris and the kites... I have enjoyed sharing this experience and love seeing all the different combinations and methods!

Blog Entries
    No, not my picture, I 'borrowed' it from Google, it's of a previous year of Sydney Harbour bridge at New Year. I have been there twice, but not at New Year. It's a fantastic city and I can thoroughly recommend it if you ever get a chance to go.

I was in Melbourne in the run up to Christmas on one trip, and there is a big department store in the city centre that has a great tradition of decorating their store windows. Apparently all of the state of Victoria want to go and visit it, but to me, it was incredibly wierd to be so hot, and looking at Christmas things. I know that pommies adjust when they go out to live there, but I don't think that a visitor can so easily.

Blog Entries
    I DID IT!!! I DID IT!! I got the center section laid out today. I moved several around after I took this pic and got busy sewing. I figured out exactly how to sew the blocks together (My musing about trimming 1/2" from the seam line were WRONG!) You need to trim 1/4" from the stitch line for between the sashings....that is to trim the batting. When you do that..the batting on each side fits perfectly into the 1/2" finished sashing. I don't know why this didn't work in my head earlier. Anyway..I have rows A & B sewn together....Ahhhhhh....I'm loving how it is going together!

Chocoloate Jane beauty shot
    Name:  Attachment-151385.jpe
Views: 27
Size:  105.3 KB

that is just wonderful patti.

congrats :-D

Blog Entries
    This is gonna be gorgeous!!!! What am I saying? This IS gorgeous! Doesn't it feel good to hit a milestone?

You know you are going to finish before me. This hand quilting is taking me longer than I thought it would. I can't seem to go very fast. I get the blocks done quickly, but the sashings slow me down. There are too many layers to get any speed built up, especially at the seams.

breathe taking Patti!

Blog Entries
    Thank you all! Its so much fun!

Kathy, I don't know about when I'll finish. I still haven't quilted the tris or the between tris either! I have to quilt the sashing as well when I put the backing on...so I still have quite a ways to go :D:

I wanted everyone to know that I posted weeks 53-56 also. They are in the Jane Stickle Topic section.. All you over achievers...add your pics too!

Looks fabulous Patti!! Congrats!

Ooooolala Patti, she is a Chocolate Beauty!!! Congrats!!! :D

BTW Lesley, the evening news showed a snipet of the fireworks in Sydney, 12 full minutes of fireworks, they reported!!! It was pretty like your picture.

Gorgeous I love it, its spectacular Patti. You are going great now.

Wonder how mucheach of those quilts would be worth, that saying we could ever sell them.

Elle

Blog Entries
    Patti, your chocolate Jane looks brilliant, so yummy. I am so glad you 'got' the batting thing in the end. I had to trim mine because I didn't always cut an exact size of batting, just hacked it off the large bit I had. If you take the time to cut them nicely, and centre them, it works really well.

Thank you Kathy for stepping up and offering to 'run' things for AOTH. I vote for doing things in order, so that rows can be joined when completed, it really frustrated me that I couldn't do that with Jane until right near the end, though I appreciate Klue's reasoning for doing it the way she did.

In this case, I don't think that any are particularly harder than the others, so it won't matter.

I got my 10 yards of black ironed this morning, which is why I am sitting down with a well earned cuppa. Boy, I end up with arm ache, and back ache by the time I have done something like that, and I'm not sure that any colour came out of it anyway (Kona Black).

I have been giving it some thought about how to transfer the pattern to the background - anyone else been thinking about this? I have a light box, but doubt if that would work. So far, the only thing I can think of is to pin the pattern to the square and then machine through it in black thread. I feel pretty sure that I could eyeball most, if not all the applique bits, but I don't think I would get symmetrical loops etc. eyeballing the embroidery lines.

The black machine stitching would have to remain in place, but could be covered up by the applique, and I think the embroidery threads could go just to one side and they wouldn't show.

The only other idea I have had is to make paper templates of each element, then draw round them with light pencil (Sewline). Either way, it's an extra step.

Elle, I think you might have had the right idea by going with a cream background, but I wanted a change, I've never done a black one before and I love the idea of it making the designs pop. I even have my black batting now - that is another first for me.

Can you all tell that I am REALLY wanting to start??? LOL.

Page 194 of 247 FirstFirst ... 94 144 184 193 194 195 204 244 ... LastLast