Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011 >

[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

Old 11-30-2010, 06:22 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by luvmortherest
patti i am soooo impressed. those look great. can't wait to get mine finished but you know how life is. so far to date i have 64 blocks and 14 tris. (times 2 as i am doing 2 at the same time)

lesley how hard would it be to quilt an entire row?
Not that hard, Luv - because a row is quite narrow, so you can still hold in in your hand nicely. Turning the blocks round might be a little more fiddly, but still doable. (I only seem to be able to quilt in one direction, so doing them individually suited me better). If you did them row by row, then you would have fewer seams at the back in the long run, but if you look at the schedule, you have to be really near the end before you even get one complete row, let alone several, and I found that rather frustrating.

I started quilting mine ...(thinking hard here).... probably about half way. I know that by the time I was making the last few, I had all the rest quilted and ready to assemble.
Old 11-30-2010, 04:31 PM
Power Poster

I agree Lesley...I think it would be fine to quilt it row by row...I'm just too lazy to dig through and organize all my blocks by row and #. I just pull the next one out of the bag and have a go at it. I figure I'll get done soon enough.

Today I cut all my "between" tris and cut the fabric for my scallops. I think that I'm going to make the outer scallop border a little wider than it calls for and that I will do it in one piece. I think (I could easily be wrong here) that I can attach a long strip to the outside edge of the tri border strip befor I attach that to the center block portion. I'm not sure...still thinking it through, but I cut it lengthwise so that there wouldn't be any seams in the scallop portion. I decided that I would do the outer row of cornerstones in the same brown as the sashing too...so got all those cut. I haven't cut all the sashings though and I might run short on fabric. I hope not..but...??? Oh..I also saved a square to cut my continous bias from for the binding. Does anyone remember how to figure out what size square to cut for how much continuous bias binding???
Old 11-30-2010, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by sandpat
Today I cut all my "between" tris and cut the fabric for my scallops. I think that I'm going to make the outer scallop border a little wider than it calls for and that I will do it in one piece. I think (I could easily be wrong here) that I can attach a long strip to the outside edge of the tri border strip befor I attach that to the center block portion. I'm not sure...still thinking it through, but I cut it lengthwise so that there wouldn't be any seams in the scallop portion.
I did the scallop border from long pieces. Don't forget the corner kites when you're sewing the tris on - they need to be figured in. I sewed the tri borders on and then the scallop borders. I made them 4" wide by the length of the piece I had which was way longer than what was needed. I drew the sewing line on 1/2" from the edge (figured I could trim it after it was sewn on) and then marked the space for the corner kites and the tri bases with small, short lines. That was so when I pinned the border on, I'd have a match point for each tri/kite.

I marked all the scallops on the border before sewing it on. Also made one large, gentle corner curve. Sewed each piece on and then finished sewing the seams out to the edge of the border. Hand piecing isn't like machine in that you need to stop & backstitch at the end. Can't stitch on & cut after sewing. :)

Worked really well, except that the outside sashings are only 1/4" wide and the inner ones are 1/2". I had a tiny bit of trouble, but you can't tell on the top/quilt now that one was a different size than the other.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Lacelady
Originally Posted by luvmortherest
patti i am soooo impressed. those look great. can't wait to get mine finished but you know how life is. so far to date i have 64 blocks and 14 tris. (times 2 as i am doing 2 at the same time)

lesley how hard would it be to quilt an entire row?
Not that hard, Luv - because a row is quite narrow, so you can still hold in in your hand nicely. Turning the blocks round might be a little more fiddly, but still doable. (I only seem to be able to quilt in one direction, so doing them individually suited me better). If you did them row by row, then you would have fewer seams at the back in the long run, but if you look at the schedule, you have to be really near the end before you even get one complete row, let alone several, and I found that rather frustrating.

I started quilting mine ...(thinking hard here).... probably about half way. I know that by the time I was making the last few, I had all the rest quilted and ready to assemble.
sticking to the schedule has become a moot point for me as i am so far behind what with the tornado during the summer (power out for a week), then a problem with the power (out for another few days), then of course there was DH's 3 or 4 trips to the hospital. i think i am going to pick blocks to finish rows that only have a few left to finish.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:35 AM
Power Poster

You seem to be sussing out scallops etc well - I did consider doing mine in one long length, but opted to seam the sections so that I had a point of reference to join them to the border. In the past, I have had one or two quilts that the outer edge always seemed a tad too short which really annoyed me.

I got my AOTH book today, and I have to say I really like it. I have no doubt at all about being able to upsize the blocks, and those of you thinking of being able to machine applique, that would help, wouldn't it. (My personal problem will be that my printer is playing up at the moment and I might have to buy another).

The quilt also has three narrow borders cut from a border print.... next question, where would you begin to look for a suitable one? I have just been through all of Jinny Beyer's site as she was my first thought. I'm very disappointed - so many of them were out of print, and those that weren't didn't seem to lend themselves to this quilt.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:47 AM
Power Poster

So great thoughts about the scallop border Kathy...thanks. Ya'll know I need all the help I can get! :lol: I had forgotten about the kites! But I think I'm fine..I cut the strip a tad over 90"...so plenty long enough to trim properly when I get the center and the tri border put together. I'm still a long way away from that as I just quilted # 94 last night.

luv...I don't blame you. I would do the blocks in any order that you want! If you can get some rows sewn together..it will spur you on, won't that be great! I know you've had some issues this year...maybe instead of "in war time"...yours will read..."in challenging time"..well, maybe not- that is kind of long to embroider! LOL!

Lesley...Wonder if Thousands of bolts might have some of the discontinued Jinny Beyer? Her stuff does lend itself to this type of border. I haven't looked anywhere yet..
Old 12-02-2010, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by sandpat
I'm still a long way away from that as I just quilted # 94 last night.
94 quilted already! I'm working on #40 right now.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:58 PM
Power Poster

Yeah, but you are flying too...and you are already all sewn together and sandwiched! Last I heard, you were on #17...wow...you are a fast fingered one, aren't you??? :shock:
Old 12-02-2010, 05:30 PM

Not really, just really motivated. I'm not quilting any block all that heavily. By stitching down the center of the sashings, I have basically done enough quilting to hold this together - batting pkg said 12" apart, but really - that far apart & it might as well be tied! Anyway, I'm quilting about the smae small amount in all the blocks. Will post a pic when I've got a camera-full. Right now, the quilted area is more rectangular - E-4 - E-11 thru I-4 - I-11. Was a really good girl & started smack dab in the center - same place I began piecing the blocks - G-7, then G-6 (Papa's Star.)

BTW, G-6 has a really puffy center block!!!!
Old 12-03-2010, 05:57 AM
Power Poster

I see now. I'm quilting my little blocks a little more heavily. I love the quilting part and I'm enjoying doing them. So, I guess I will be going a bit more slowly, only about 3/4 some nights and maybe a 5th one if I get to sit down early or stay up later. I only do them when watching tv at night. During the day I'm working on some Christmas pressies right now. I need to drag out all my deco's and start putting them up today but sewing sounds like more fun.

I can't wait to see your progress pic! A "non camera full" will be ok with us..:lol: