Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011 >

[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

Old 12-04-2009, 12:32 AM
Power Poster

That is great to hear, I don't know that I have seen the wool batting here, though I don't go to the lqs much either, I usually hit the fabric store and they don't have the same things. (the one lqs has a blend of bamboo and cotton)
Old 12-04-2009, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by cutebuns
That is great to hear, I don't know that I have seen the wool batting here, though I don't go to the lqs much either, I usually hit the fabric store and they don't have the same things. (the one lqs has a blend of bamboo and cotton)
Bamboo and cotton is really nice too... it's fairly new here and quite expensive. But really nice to quilt.

We have billions and kazillions of sheep, so wool is something we kind of take for granted. Can't be real wool jerseys (jumpers) in the winter, and wool batting in quilts. :-)
Old 12-04-2009, 12:41 AM
Power Poster

I was scared to ask the price, it was something that they had just gotten in, they have straight bamboo as well, but they found it has a lot of lint, but said that done on a long arm it is still good to work with, it is the hands on using the smaller machines that people were having more issues with it. I have a nice wool sweater but that is it, It is a london fog one and I have had it since I was about 20 and it looks as good now as it did back then. and it is so warm. Not to many sheep around here but cattle, pigs and chickens.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:59 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BlueChicken
Originally Posted by kluedesigns

i just sent her 2 pics of comfy quilts, a D9P and a snail trail thing, both should go together quickly. i have some nice flannel that would make a nice back. i also have some nice breast cancer fabric that would look nice on the back. maybe i'll use a wool batting for warmth.

what do you think about wool?

then the circle of pink ribbons is the art quilt she wants me to make.
I love that circle, it's stunning.

thanks, i've made a bunch of them now - it seems to be the standard breast cancer quilt that people around here want.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:06 AM

I love the colours and the swirly look.... but especially love the praire (sp) points. I remember the original when you put them on backwards and decided it looked better than the way they should be. :-)
Old 12-04-2009, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by cutebuns
I was scared to ask the price, it was something that they had just gotten in, they have straight bamboo as well, but they found it has a lot of lint, but said that done on a long arm it is still good to work with, it is the hands on using the smaller machines that people were having more issues with it. I have a nice wool sweater but that is it, It is a london fog one and I have had it since I was about 20 and it looks as good now as it did back then. and it is so warm. Not to many sheep around here but cattle, pigs and chickens.
I don't think I've seen straight bamboo batting. Part of the advertising blurb on the blend is that it's more environmentally friendly using bamboo. Not sure why, something to do with renewable I think.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:12 AM
Power Poster

Here they found that some didn't likenthe straight bamboo to work with because of the lint. I imagine that it is a lot easier on the environent than the man made fiber. I have noticed other things that are made of bamboo. Walmart has a hand towel tahr I'd bamboo and it was the softest thing. If they were not so expensive I would have some for here. I hope that it is because iris new and a novelty that after a while that the price will come down.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:17 AM

It seems like anything that is good for the environment is at least twice the price of the stuff that's bad for the world. It's hardly encouraging in the current economic climate!

It's just after 10pm here, and I'm extremely tired. Hubby was sick yesterday, a stomach bug, so I didn't get much sleep. He's fine now, it's me that's shattered today! LOL
Anyway, I'm off to bed. It's been great chatting to you ladies, way over on the other side of the world. Thank you. :-)

Have a good day/afternoon/evening/whatever it is over there! ;-)
Old 12-04-2009, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by MoodyKim
Ok, I have to make my DJ quilt now just ordered 20 yards of Kona Indigo Cotton Fabric. $84.00 plus 10.00 shipping that is $4.70 a yard. :) A very Happy MoodyKim
Awesome
Old 12-04-2009, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by kluedesigns
thanks, i've made a bunch of them now - it seems to be the standard breast cancer quilt that people around here want.
Do you have a pattern or is that your own design?

Bamboo is good for the environment because it is easily renewable. A stand of bamboo only takes about 8 weeks to grow back. However, until they've fixed the bearding problem, I'm just not interested in using it. I figure I'll give them a year or two and then it should be worked out.