Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Affairs of the Heart Photo Gallery Discussion Page(s) >

Affairs of the Heart Photo Gallery Discussion Page(s)

Affairs of the Heart Photo Gallery Discussion Page(s)

Old 05-15-2011, 01:31 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sandpat
Well jacquie, just do 1 at a time and only worry about that one...thats my game plan!
me two, me three... :XD:
and Patti?
I cannot be held responsible for whatever those gypsy cousins might um, walk off with!
I mean if they 'gift' me sometime in the future, how do I know where it came from??? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 05-15-2011, 01:33 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by JudyG
Thanks for the compliments, Lynnie. My blocks are 10". There's no way I would have even tried the 7" so I am in awe of those of you who are doing such a great job on them. All your blocks I have seen are beautiful. Even with the 10" blocks, the secret to those scrolls (IMHO) is very small stitches around the head of the scroll. I also read somewhere that when doing something that's curved on both sides (like the tails of the scrolls), you should do the smaller part first, so I try to do that by starting the scrolls just before the head, working the smaller part of the tail and then up the back side of the tail to where I started. It helped a lot when I started doing them that way.
..."just before the head", does that mean on the 'inner' side of the scroll, Judy?
and then you go down to the point, and back up to the head and voila! have I got it right?
(I'm devouring every little bit of advice I can gather to help me! I need it! thanks, dearheart!) :thumbup:
Old 05-15-2011, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Mousie
Thanks for the compliments, Lynnie. My blocks are 10". There's no way I would have even tried the 7" so I am in awe of those of you who are doing such a great job on them. All your blocks I have seen are beautiful. Even with the 10" blocks, the secret to those scrolls (IMHO) is very small stitches around the head of the scroll. I also read somewhere that when doing something that's curved on both sides (like the tails of the scrolls), you should do the smaller part first, so I try to do that by starting the scrolls just before the head, working the smaller part of the tail and then up the back side of the tail to where I started. It helped a lot when I started doing them that way.
..."just before the head", does that mean on the 'inner' side of the scroll, Judy?
and then you go down to the point, and back up to the head and voila! have I got it right?
(I'm devouring every little bit of advice I can gather to help me! I need it! thanks, dearheart!) :thumbup:
Just the opposite, Mousie. It means the outer side of the scroll at the top just before the round part. I like to do the round part first because that's the hardest to get exactly where it's supposed to be. You can kinda finagle the tail around to get it where you want it. Hope that's clearer.
Old 05-15-2011, 02:45 PM
Power Poster

Just the opposite, Mousie. It means the outer side of the scroll at the top just before the round part. I like to do the round part first because that's the hardest to get exactly where it's supposed to be. You can kinda finagle the tail around to get it where you want it. Hope that's clearer.
oh, I see...start on outside, at top, go to head and around, then down...
am I going clockwise around the head?
or counterclockwise around the head and then down to point/tail?
(you can tell, if I don't SEE it...i can't understand it! glad you guys are so patient ;-) )
Old 05-15-2011, 03:22 PM

I am getting ready to fight the scrolls as well- ikes - wish me luck! But first I have to remark my background square as I forgot to reverse when marking my pieces so everything is mirror image. It wouldn't matter except that I have already cut all the pieces - so I will have a block 20 that is the reverse of everyone elses. I had a feeling this would happen to me eventually but I can't believe I did this on the very first block that I've done that isn't a reversable. Hope all that made sense! Oh well back to marking-lol!
Old 05-15-2011, 04:40 PM
Power Poster

Oh darn it Chris...I bet I've either already screwed that up or will in the future. Thanks for mentioning it again...geesh!!!

And Mistress Mouse....I'm sayin' that...them cousins of yourn may NOT make it back anywhere if they show up here...I DO have 10 cats!!
Old 05-15-2011, 05:41 PM

(you can tell, if I don't SEE it...i can't understand it! glad you guys are so patient ;-) )
I'm right handed, so I go counterclockwise around the head. I always hand sew from right to left
Old 05-16-2011, 04:21 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sandpat
Oh darn it Chris...I bet I've either already screwed that up or will in the future. Thanks for mentioning it again...geesh!!!

And Mistress Mouse....I'm sayin' that...them cousins of yourn may NOT make it back anywhere if they show up here...I DO have 10 cats!!
oh, I heard through the mouse family grapevine, that those gypsy cousins have geared up for your house...sounds like trick or treat doesn't it?...they have little suits of gypsy armor now...cat proof!
not skunk proof though...seen any more lately?
oh gee, don't let any skunks stink up my, um, your quilt, Patti! :thumbdown:
Old 05-16-2011, 04:22 PM
Power Poster

I'm right handed, so I go counterclockwise around the head. I always hand sew from right to left
Oh thank you sweets! I really needed to know...I am directionally challenged and might get lost on a curve! ;)
Old 05-16-2011, 06:02 PM

Don't want you getting lost, Mousie.