Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along! >

Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along!

Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along!

Old 12-23-2013, 10:13 AM

Giquilt: So agree I would hate to have the responsibility for someones quilt. Love to experiment with new ideas and techniques but if I goof-up I like knowing its my quilt and not someone elses. I think Jibba and Elisabrat were right on to make it all our own.
Old 12-24-2013, 06:23 AM

love your brown and blues! I love how versatile brown is so many colors seem to work really well with it. I can say honestly having worked on three and getting ready to start on a fourth round robin there is some stress when working on someone elses quilt. Especially when you know how very much they love their center and are so worried someone might 'ruin' their quilt. sigh.. but once you get the feel for how things work its not quiet so scary and well when you accept sometimes you have to put a filler piece of fabric say a strip on the sides before the corner or in the middle its not so horrible. I have two sitting here right now saying get over here right now and work on me! I will start on one today. I think sometimes picking your block can be the hardest part. Once you have that done its just cut and sew. We all are good at that

I wanted to wish all of you a Merry Christmas! I opened the curtains today hoping for clear skies and a clear walkway and well.. was greeted with a snowy scene. Oh joy. Guess I wont take the car today and go shopping at a couple little stores in town. look how much I saved! its ok this will keep me sewing and that is a nice thing. Making a couple ny strip steaks for dinner tonight and scalloped potatoes. I think my sweetie will enjoy that. He is so easy to please and this should work beautifully. Are you making something special tonight? or is tomorrow a bigger night for you? In my house it was always Christmas eve. The anticipation with the children it always has been so magical. BIG DORK that I am its still magical.
Old 12-24-2013, 06:25 AM

Thanks everyone. I've had the kitty pattern for more years than I care to admit so this quilt-along was perfect.

I agree about sending and receiving someone else's quilt to add to. Too much pressure for my liking. And my mail disappears far too often to take a chance with someone else's wonderful work.

Thanks Elisabrat for setting this up.
Old 12-24-2013, 06:30 AM

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all !!!

I agree about sending it around I have done several online. One went missing but finally came home. You definately came up with a good idea on doing a RR of sorts virtually by working on your own starter and adding to it.

So I have picked a block to use as my starter if I can find the time to fit this project in. It was from Quilters Newsletter and was a BOM of sorts but for some reason the next round to add to it on the the first month of instructions would not fit. It measures 12 1/2" X 12 1/2" unfinished.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]453062[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails blocks-004.jpg  
Old 12-24-2013, 07:59 AM

Another beautiful star and lots of color options. I like stars.

Our big thing was always on Christmas Eve too. I guess because the day itself was a trip to Grandma's house and relatives and the big feast, the evening before was just the five us, hot dogs roasted in the fire place, and of course the presents.

Last edited by whitepine; 12-24-2013 at 08:14 AM.
Old 12-24-2013, 08:07 AM

OOOOOH I like that one.
Old 12-24-2013, 09:42 AM

Very pretty star!

We always do the big thing on Christmas Eve with the immediate family, then they go to their extended ones on Christmas Day. We open all presents, except one which we leave for Christmas morning. Tonight will be full of games, a ton of food and prezzies!!

Thanks to Brat and Jaba again for doing this and Merry Christmas to all!
Old 12-24-2013, 10:26 AM

what a beautiful center block that is! so soft and spring like at 12.5 inches it is easy to add to, three blocks on two sides and four on the other two.. not a huge project. I am going with a bigger size for my center so I will have 6 on two sides and 8 on the other two. I am taking a break currently, cut my round robin that I am doing for the Road Runners and have it 1/2 sewn together. I just have to now trim down. I always and I say this sincerely cut larger for hst's and then trim down. So if it calls for 3 7/8ths I cut 4 or 4 1/8th so when sewn together I can trim down to the size I need in this case 3.5 and I end up with perfect sized blocks every time. I also use a 1/4 inch foot when sewing to make sure my blocks are CLOSER to the size I need lol. one day I will be perfect. or almost perfect?
Old 12-24-2013, 10:27 AM

ps those block numbers are based on the rounds that are made out of square blocks. some are rectangular and others strip like. that was only an example as I am currently doing a block type round.
Old 12-24-2013, 02:36 PM

I hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas, be safe if you have to travel.

Jean