Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along! >

Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along!

Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along!

Old 12-26-2013, 06:28 PM

Thimblebug: First your block is great, what a great center it will make. This is the way I understand Jabba, each "block" on the border will finish as 3inches then you have to add .5 inch for the seam allowances. So you have to make the center block divisable by 3 plus .5 inch. I know Jabba and Elizabrat check in regularly so if I'm wrong they will correct me.
Old 12-27-2013, 01:42 AM

thimblebug...thats a great block. Was it difficult to do? I've never tried doing a circle.
Old 12-27-2013, 04:02 AM

I wasn't going to start a new project, but, reading through this thread while I couldn't sleep, I have an idea. I have some hand work that was my MotherInLaw's. I think I'll use one of her pieces plus her stash and do a quilt or wall hanging for a sisterinlaw.
Old 12-27-2013, 05:22 AM

I think 4.5 and 6.5 will be the prevailing border sizes. so divisible by these makes it pretty easy. Its truly hard to find a block that is 3.5 inches to make and repeat. Unless one is doing a solid strip to break things up a bit then it could be any size. The cool thing about this quilt along is that 1) you can make any block you chose to fit in the center. I will post an option or two if your stuck wondering what the heck to make but it is a free for all as your design. yippee! you can also just use a panel if you cut it to say 12.5 or 24.5. If your feeling extremely adventurous make it bigger and you will be quilting day and night! or make it rectangular as some are chosing to do again make it easy to use those size blocks in your outside border or you will be doing some magical figuring on how to make things fit with extra little blocks and such. ok now that we have that fun part done here is part 2 that makes this so great: get ready here it is.. each month there will be a posting by both Jaba and myself on the border we are SUGGESTING you use. one will be easy *mine and one will be a bit more complicated *jaba's. AND if that isn't exciting enough lol you can say heck with it I am going maverick this month and doing my own darned thing. The big key is we are all sewing on a project of similar origins but completely our own quilts. how cool is that??? so if you are on the fence I say get your tail off it and jump on over to ourside! we will have lots of fun, grand chatter and stunning pictures to share. so give your fabric a once over and start imagining the possibilities. and horror or all horrors if you need to go to the local quilt shop for inspiration and oh my gosh.. shopping! well off to get ready for a couple tests.. if I pass these last three tests I qualify for the Denver transplant list. OH YEAH!
Old 12-27-2013, 09:42 AM

Linda, I'm so excited for you as you progress toward transplant approval. I have another friend whose hubby is also waiting but his is liver. Both of you are in my thoughts and prayers.
Old 12-27-2013, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by m-fay View Post
Emma S I'll look fwd to seeing your appliqued block..sounds like a lot of work in there. Works4me... I 've got a mixture of Aussie prints & Christmas ones for it. urgodschild2 travel safe and have a wonderful time in Melbourne with your family. Have you been there before? Kalgoorlie is Gold country. In West Aust...a long way from Melbourne. I'm here for another 4 weeks on holiday (complete with sewing machine)
This will be my 4th trip down under. I love it there.

I don't think that 3 1/2 is divisable into 17 1/2. I think it has to be 18 1/2.

Linda....good luck on the transplant list acceptance.

My niece and SIL are still waiting. One has been 10 years and the other 4. Sigh. My sister and I tried to be donors but were declined. Sigh.

Last edited by urgodschild2; 12-27-2013 at 10:03 AM.
Old 12-27-2013, 06:57 PM

Linda (Elisabrat); Didn't know you had serious health problems. All the best to you! Can't believe you are doing this with all the other things that must be going on in your life.
Old 12-27-2013, 06:58 PM

I will be following along with you. Had a line of black and yellow fabrics for ages. Had no clue what to use them for.
I bit the bullet and made a modified memory block from McCalls which I am quite pleased with. Thank you for doing this
I am not much of a poster but have pretty much learnt to quilt by following the many talented ladies on this board.
Old 12-28-2013, 04:59 AM

Mom-6 thanks

I had a liver transplant 1.5 yrs ago both liver and kidney failed me. they hoped my kidneys would come back but they did not so now I have hopes of receiving a new kidney so I can get my tail off dialysis and spend more time sewing!! I am so lucky to be alive I feel every day is a gift.. some days I get pooped out sorry and you might not see me but Jaba is my right hand so she will be leaping with glee (she will kick me for that) at the opportunity to jump in. Lucky all of us

ok I believe there was someone here who wanted to use perhaps a 12.5 x 24.5 center .. you can certainly do this but you might end up with one seriously long vs width quilt. It would be unusually long and not too wide. I would suggest if you use this center you find a way to widen that center up. perhaps a strip on each side that turns it to 18.5 wide this will make a more useful quilt I think. just my opinion but if you go back to the first page I think where Jaba shows how the quilt sizes go up with each round.. you will see that that size would present perhaps a problem for you. just my thoughts its your quilts please use what you like in the middle just beware of incremental size increases 4.5 or 6.5 inches each side each month..
Old 12-28-2013, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Elisabrat View Post
Mom-6 thanks

ok I believe there was someone here who wanted to use perhaps a 12.5 x 24.5 center .. you can certainly do this but you might end up with one seriously long vs width quilt. It would be unusually long and not too wide. I would suggest if you use this center you find a way to widen that center up.
That was me, with the cat centre. I do wall quilts so am not too worried about long vs wide. Thanks for mentioning it, though. I plan to play it by ear. In fact, you've given me an idea...