Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The FWS 30's Quilt-Along Week 2  Blocks Alice & Ann >

The FWS 30's Quilt-Along Week 2 Blocks Alice & Ann

The FWS 30's Quilt-Along Week 2 Blocks Alice & Ann

Old 08-13-2015, 07:09 AM

I too have been pressing each tiny seam, made all the more a hassle bc my iron is not next to me...I could fix that but I sit at a desk all day and a sewing machine all evening...not good, so I kind of consider that part of my daily exercise..sad isn't it?!
Old 08-13-2015, 08:29 AM

Pam, I do the same thing. I'm very anal about my seams laying flat so I press each and every seam before going on to the next one. My iron is across the hall in the bathroom so I count this as exercise, too, LOL.

Loving all the blocks and glad everyone seems to be having a good experience. I think pp is addicting--hate using templates or rotary cutting any more. I did a quilt last week that wasn't pp and had to keep reminding myself "you have to cut perfectly--no hack & wack!"
Old 08-13-2015, 08:58 AM

Question.. what it FWS and do I need to buy a book to quilt along with you?
Old 08-13-2015, 09:28 AM

Yes, Carrot, we are doing the 3rd book of Laurie Aaron Hird called the Farmer's Wife 1930s. Its available in most quilt stores and Amazon. Honchey is our esteemed leader again on this adventure. We have created our notebooks to hold all 99 blocks as we complete them each week...two per week paper piecing. Patterns are on the CD disk in the back of the book. You are most welcome to join us on the journey.
Old 08-13-2015, 10:10 AM

Pretty blocks Gayle!

Qns brought to my attention about the couple of tutes in our introduction thread that take awhile to look thru so I will ? copy and paste them every so many threads or just copy & paste the urls for them and you all could put them somewhere maybe on your desktop if you need to reference them? let me know which you prefer..
Old 08-13-2015, 10:15 AM

Carrot, you will have to buy the book, and we would love to have you join us in the quilt-a-long! As QNS mentioned above, FWS = "Farmer's Wife Sampler". This is Laurie Hird's third book, and we have had a quilt-a-long for the other two as well.
Old 08-13-2015, 11:11 AM

Honchey, with new people joining us, it might bear repeating every so often....when new people elect to join us?? Or put it out to have others input their thoughts... I can copy and past on my computer for me....sorry, I am not following your lead there...so I can paste it on my computer.
Old 08-13-2015, 11:18 AM

"will be using this thread for all communication until we start. To avoid any confusion please do not post any new threads. Use the above titled thread."Guess was a bit confusing to me, but I have come to understand, we post on the weekly Tuesday posts, not with where we started from...in the beginning. Thanks. I am happy I am the only one confused...must be my age. LOL!
Old 08-13-2015, 11:53 AM

Nina, I was just thinking of adding it every once in awhile to the week we would be working on if there was any question or visual help needed... I think I'll keep the urls somewhere on the cp and use that so anyone could access the pages where the tutes are...

Going out for a bit..I worked yesterday so I can treat myself to ????? I'll let y'all know later..
Old 08-13-2015, 02:32 PM

I also press each seam along the way. I found an old Sunbeam travel iron in a secondhand shop and love it. It heats up quickly and is much lighter to lift than my big iron. It fits perfectly next to my machine on a pressing mat.