Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 152 of 542 FirstFirst ... 52 102 142 151 152 153 162 202 252 ... LastLast
Results 3,776 to 3,800 of 13526

Thread: The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page

Oh so much agoin' on. I spent the last 2 days scourin' the internet lookin' at houses & then doin' drive by's. Dh took taday off but we only actually got our agent ta take us ta see one. We just loved everythin' about it except the inside o' the house. LOL I even was considerin' the inside as OK but DH hated it. It had 2 acres,w/48 pecans trees. The gardens around the house were wonderful. It had a great 2 car shop w/a storage room on the back. It also had a 2 car attached garage. It only had 2 bedrooms & 1 livin' area. I couldn't carve out a sewin' room or area a'tall. Not till #2 DSon leaves. I know that might be this fall or it might still be a couple o' years. Sigh. I don't want him ta feel pushed out. At least not yet. LOL DH hated the kitchen & all the tile was a cream & pink. (DH is the cook & the cook has ta like the kitchen.) Sigh!!! We'll keep lookin'.
    We didn't even git a drop o' rain & yes the storms were 5 hours away. So I'm pretty safe for now.
    Bev
    My initials are BB, so dublb is double B.

I'm headed ta bed now, & will catch ya'll tamarrow.
    Bev

Blog Entries
    To all those who have worked in field and garden bed--a hot soak in the tub with some epsom salts do wonders!!!

Yes Carrie, I got my tomatoes in; then dug a 20' trench to lay the drain tile for the down spout of the eave trough. Water has been going down through the flower bed. Eave trough is on the high side of the house--it's set in the hill. This should solve the soil washing through my flower bed. When I got the trench dug, DH "mentioned" that I could disc chisel if I wanted to. Well beans weren't planted yet-but I guess I "wanted" to. So I headed to last year's cornfield with the Case and Disc chiselName:  r_105834-2.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  28.3 KB. This is similar to the piece I was using today. A moldboard plow digs into the ground and turns the soil over. The disc chisel first slices the ground with the metal discs and then the chisels dig into the dirt like heavy duty fingers. It's much narrower than a disc Name:  1900_john_deere_210_disc_13740573.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  52.5 KBso takes a while to go across the field. So for the next four hours I'm bouncing over the field while DH is seeding alfalfa in the field next to me with the seeder we brought home from our road trip last FridayName:  images.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  11.7 KB. There are 2 sets of rollers. The first rolls out all the lumps in the soil. The seed flows out of the red hoppers and the second set of rollers in the back firms to teeny tiny alfalfa seed into the ground. This is about the same width as the chisel plow, but he could drive faster as he was going over the soil and I was digging it up. Previously he had drilled in the peas and barley with a John Deere drill. Name:  images2.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  14.4 KB Those seeds are much larger so mechanics are sized for the bigger seeds. Later in early summer we will cut the peas and barley before the barley heads out and ensile it for the cows to eat. They love this sweet, tasty forage. The alfalfa will be short (3-5") when this happens. Once the grains are off the alfalfa continues to grow. Later in the summer we will cut the new alfalfa at least twice and put them into big square bales for animals to eat.
    Okay enough for Ag 101--Spring Tillage and planting!
    The field I was working once long ago was a farmstead. Always eerie when I work down there; like I'm working sacred ground. Inspired me to write a poem about it.

Oh Karen has put together another beautiful block; lucky you Janie!

Anael
    -hoping for the best for little Bram--

What a lovely fairy garden, Janie! (Cute kids, too.) Sure would be easier to care for than the big beds behind you.

Oh a Ben Franklin store--they were Walmarts of yesteryear but with lots of charm and you always found what you needed! Sorry it's closing QNS. Glad you have an outlet for your eggs. Nothing beats the sunny yellow of farm fresh eggs.
    No QE, the puppies have been gone for quite some time--end of March. And yes GGal the soft soil is exactly what those dogs like. Not only that but my beds are set in the hillside. They can rest in a soft bed and look out onto the road--thrones fit for the Queen and King they think they are!! I have placed some old side delivery rake teeth across the tomato plants for now. Hopefully that works tonight. Not sure if we will get rain or not-wind has picked up now.

Time for this tired lady to head to bed. Another full day ahead. Guess what--no sewing today!! I miss my fix already.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    I donate quilts to the AAQI.

OK. thanks for your story and pictures! It's nice to read what you're doing and how you do it!

Some more info on Bram: most of his lung tissue is damaged. Because of that when he's angry, hungry, crying or even coughing he turns blue because of lack of oxygen. He needs lots of time to stabilize and often needs help (more oxygen). So he has to grow more healthy lung tissue to overcome this problem. They expect him to be on oxygen for at least 3 or 4 more months. When he can use his energy for growing only it might be sooner.

I decided to do some house cleaning today In the afternoon I have to run some errands, don't feel like it but tomorrow I won't feel like doing that at all!
    Again no sunshine today
    Eat, quilt, sleep, repeat

Oksewglad what an interesting life for you on the farm. I am a city girl through and through, have brown thumbs and my DH will tell you that I loathe getting my feet dirty

Anael, Bram and Isa remain in my prayers, will say a special prayer for Bram tonight that he can overcome his lung difficulties and grow stronger with each passing day. He has been through so much.

I am off to bed to regain my sanity after today, I wanted to sew the panels together for my Marjen for Error embroidered quilt. Measured, measured and measured the lengths of the pieced panels, cut the sashing strips, sewed them onto the pieced panels and then very carefully trimmed the embroidered panels to the correct width and measured them to fit the pieced panels and gee they are too long, if I cut them to fit the pieced panels I cut the tops off the last embroideries. I cried. I have worked on this quilt for the past 6 months.. SO I reread the instructions from start to finish and worked out the calculations for putting it all together and the measurements in the pattern are WRONG WRONG WRONG. I cried again. I've been doing that a lot lately but for very different reasons.
    So I think I will sleep on this one, fold it up very carefully and calmly put it out of sight so I don't have a meltdown and throw it in the trash. Do you ever feel like you are having one of those days, well I am having one of those fortnights and its not funny anymore.... thank you for reading my rant I shall go to bed now, tomorrow is another day and there is always another quilt to make. Now where is my Valium
    Karen

OksewGlad truly enjoyed your farm story and pictures of equipment but no tractor picture; humor us please in what your were driving, so we have a better picture.

Mirabelle, we are here for you. There is a solution if you think outside the box...and make yours different and all yours and I am sure you will think of a solution or post a picture and we will all give our two cents advice.

Dublb, according to House Hunters, buildings can be changed, but location cannot. And if you knock out the part you don't like, then the pros can rebuilt it your way. Sound like you could add on to the house and make it larger, open concept with modern kitchen and island. Figure the remodel cost into the price of the property and keep within the budget. That's my two cents worth of advice to you all. Good luck, and keep the faith.

Thinking of the twins, Anael, and hoping Bram will show improvement quickly and amaze the doctors! Its wonderful how far they have come from their birth...and have grown so much!!

Garden work on a small scale today; 25 sweet Garnett Sweet potato plants, a few Italian Basil and California Wonder Green pepper plants and 7 Beefmaster tomatoes. Curley Parsley too.

You all have a good day and keep smiling. Cannot fit myself into a tub; has to be a hot shower but the old back will not let me stand very long. Joys of living soooo many years!

Quote Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
    To all those who have worked in field and garden bed--a hot soak in the tub with some epsom salts do wonders!!!...........
    And to take a lesson from JanieW ... no books in the tub when one is sleepy!
    Great Tillage 101 pics and descriptions, OKSGlad ... we're gonna make farmers of these cowgirls yet!

Anael ... poor LilBram! Prayers for all the healing happens so he can grow stronger and bigger in all ways.

MiraB ... thankfully you caught the error, before you cut. Good plan to put it aside til you are ready to deal with it with a clear mind. That's why I often have more than one thing on the go. That is actively on the go as in WIPs ... not all the poor ol' semi-forgotten UFOs that are PhDs!!! Here's to a better day ahead for you ....

Quote Originally Posted by dublb View Post
    I'm headed ta bed now, & will catch ya'll tamarrow.
    Instead I am headed to the beds .............. first off to get some posies and a chiro stop to tune me up ....... which no doubt I will destroy. All in the name of home owner's vanity!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

OK--I'd say you just did a *little bit* outside yesterday! Great job!!

Bev--sorry about another disappointment in the house search.

Anael--Little Bram has been through a lot in his short life. Praying for lung healing.

Karen--what a disappointment that the pattern was written wrong! Make sure you contact the company so they can fix it...maybe they have an update on their website already?? I am sure your quilt will be beautiful once you decide to get it out again.

QNS--I don't think your garden could be called "small scale" Once we get my window box back up on the house I will send you a couple pictures of my house. DH took it down so I could clean it out and put fresh dirt/flowers in.

QE--hope your chiro appt went well and you found the flowers you wanted. I needed to go yesterday while in town, but he is closed Thursdays.

Mirabelle...that quilt was appropriately named....Marjen of Error!....but they made the error. I'm sure with your experience you will figure out a way to salvage your work. Sorry for your tears....have a cup of tea and visit in our RV and we'll tell you how important you are to us.
    OK....your pictures sure bring back memories. I love the smell of fresh turned dirt.
    Anael....I'm also praying for Bram's lungs. It has to be very difficult to see him turn blue.
    QNS....save some energy for tomorrow and the grand excursion with your BF. That will be so exciting!
    QuiltE....more perennials. True there still is division every 3-5 years but it sure cuts down on heavy work. Take it easy so you don't lose your chiropractor tuneup entirely.
    Dubib....sounds like house you described had a wonderful, mature acreage. Too bad the house itself didn't quite measure up.
    I'll finish my MB today for ........today. I like the way it's turning out. Have to do grocery shopping too but I'm starting in the garden before it gets too hot. Have a good day, everyone!

Garden work is done. All plants are in the dirt and more. I planted pea seed all that was in the house; its late but hope we get a few peas. Two medium tires and one large tractor tire all planted or sowed I should say; thickly planted 'cause some of the seed was from last year. Lettuce and carrots will wait another day or two. Time to fix lunch.

QNS--looks like we both had good mornings. I have the fabric all cut and sorted for the wedding quilt blocks. Plus finished a few more propellers. I still have 7 left to sew. I cleaned up the clubhouse some too. Ready to go pick up DH for our "date" and home to sew some more.

Between all the traveling & celebrating it's taking me awhile to settle into my sewing, cutting etc...Everytime I go to do something related to my hobby I get sidetacked by DH, DS, & my gremlins...Today they are out of the house and it's time to get down to brass tacks as my mom would say...
    Those are some big time pieces of equipment OK!!!! Do yo actually run them yourself ??

Blog Entries
    mirabelle, I don't think the pattern maker included a Margin of Error in her quilt design. Sorry for the frustration.
    Carrie--a date how sweet. Back when our family was about the age of yours DH and I would go out after milking. Maybe run to town and wash the car or take pop cans to Wmart for redemption--that one was a bonus as it was a "paying date" The half hour to and from town was always a time for reflection and just togetherness; a chance to get away from the responsibilities of job and family. We'd let the kids no we were going--oftentimes they were already to bed and off we'd go.
    QNS I'll try and get a pic of my iron horse. And yes Honchey, I use the tillage equipment often. DH or DS does the planting--it requires more skill-you gotta drive straight. Tillage not so important. Get rid of those sewing gremlins, H.
    Have the first HS graduation reception to go to tonight before chores. One tomorrow too. Guess we will miss the one in SC where DH's great niece is finishing school. That makes one feel old!
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    I donate quilts to the AAQI.

our front door: Name:  DSCN0021.JPG
Views: 136
Size:  108.5 KBBlooming Lavender. Front yard:Name:  DSCN0025.JPG
Views: 81
Size:  122.2 KB Chhinese Wisteria... Closer up:

Name:  DSCN0023.JPG
Views: 82
Size:  82.1 KBOther wisteria blooms a bit later. Have a good evening.

Oh such a cute cat!! And lovely flowers of course Here my lavender doesn't show any signs of blooming yet. It's still coldddddddddd

I just took a pic of Bram, about 2 minutes ago. He's sound asleep as he should be With this blanket on his head it looks like they're sending him off to the Arctic but it gives him a sense of being safe. Tomorrow is twin time again! Can't wait!!
    Name:  20130518babybeeld.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  25.1 KB

No pictures of Isa as there's only one camera in this room.
    Eat, quilt, sleep, repeat

Such a precious angel Anael, I always look forward to seeing pics of "our" babies, he looks so peaceful.

Beautiful wisteria QNS, about the only thing in my garden is a hibiscus tree and a tree orchid that I neglect terribly but it keeps flowering for me.

Have just finished my FFC project and posted a pic on the other thread, and I think I know what I am going to do with the nightmare, will post a pic tomorrow for everyone's opinion.
    Karen

Sleep is good for Bram, Anael

That kitty is sooo cute, QNS...for some reason I can't seem to grow Lavender....But my Rhododendron is coming into bloom in a few days...will show a pic then....I mailed my May MB today....Hope _____ likes it...the days are flying by..Memorial day weekend is next week already...June is right around the corner after that...I have to finish QuiltE's FF square....almost done...slowly getting things in order.....
    I'll be working several days starting June 4th...hope to be totally caught up by then...I just start too much...
    Last edited by Honchey; 05-18-2013 at 08:43 AM.

OMGosh I'm hot!!!!! It's 100*! (At least it's not humid.) DH & I bought some "Rustolium Cabinet Restorer" & I'm redoin' a Chest o' Drawers that belongs ta #2DSon. If it works I'll use it for my cabinets, in order ta sell this house. I'm doin' it in the front yard. There isn't any shade in the back yard. Right now I'm restin' durrin' the first coat. (I waited 1 hour between the deglosser & the first coat.) So far I'm pleased. The deglosser was so much easier than sandin'! I'm supposed ta wait 2 hours between the 2 coats. Then I'll do the glaze tamarrow & top coat on Mon. I sure hope it looks as good as it is supposed ta.
    PS isn't Bram soooo cute?!!
    Bev

Bev stay cool and drink lots of water, pics please of your cabinets..

Ok after my meltdown over this %^&* quilt I think I have a solution, the pic shows my pieced and embroidered panels, (there are 3) with a border print separating them. I was going to use this fabric for the final border but I could have this in between the panels as I only need 2, with maybe a small strip of the green either side. Disregard the black and white, its part of the border print and I won't be using it. Also the small black print on the left might end up being the first border.

What do you all think, I am going to pin it to the design wall and see if it looks ok, I really want to finish this and if I have to sacrifice the embroideries then I will..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Karen

100* is HOT Hot HOT...Makes no difference..Keep hydrated Bev....We had a place in Mesa, Az when DS was in college and when it got to 114* I was ready to collapse..You can't breathe that hot air....Bev, take some photos of before & after of the dresser...I need to redo some old sewing machine cabinets for my blackhead singers...I really don't want to sand either...I'l like to see how it turns out...

Thank You Janie for the 2.5" squares..now with the ones I cut I have almost 75 sets for myself...all different...I'm in a swap here on the board and I already cut 15 sets of 50 to swap...Just 15 more sets to go for the swap

I'm almost done with my June MB....Anymore May MB's for show & Tell???
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bram looks so precious...so nice to see an update on the Sew Grands.

Left this morning at 6 am and did not get back until almost 6 pm this evening. Class lasted from nine to one thirty; wow!! on a folding chair!! How I hate folding chairs, they kill my back and my legs...just too tall, too leggy to be comfortable in them. They did finally find one with a cushion in it....lesson was just bang, bang, and bang; hard for an old lady to grasp all of it. Got the part about needles and thread; learned how to 'thread' the needle using the automatic threader. All the fun quilt stuff is at 1300 in stitch patterns... will learn how to make quilt labels on Thursday of this week. With two others there, it was almost one on one which was wonderful.

Bf and I are back on for the Iowa Quilt Hop. Maybe make it up to Carrie's QS. Picked up flowering cabbages, jumbo marigolds, tomatoes and other stuff at the nursery near Lucas called 'Ellis'...love it there.

Love the layout, Mirabelle with the borders you have added to it. I was trying to post, but it bumped with you and with Honchey at the same time.

Nice pieces you are trading, Honchey. I have too many projects on hand right now; cannot handle any more.

Ducks are growing.Name:  DSCN0022.JPG
Views: 57
Size:  76.2 KB

Mirabelle, Do you think you could trim the pieced block section to the same amount of space on the sides? and maybe reduce the width of the sashing a bit and maybe take a scooch 1/4" off the embroidered panels to make up the difference you need??? It's such a pretty quilt and the embroidery design is soooooo nice!!!

Honchey the embroidered panel should go where I have laid out the border fabric and is almost 1 inch too long for these pieced panels, and if you check out the pic of the final quilt there is almost 3 inches of space at the end of the last embroidery and mine would be right on the seam allowance or just chopped off and I think it would look just wrong... Another option was to take out the small connecting strips between the blocks and make them bigger BUT that messes up my calculations for sashings and final border and I don't think I have enough fabric for that. Don't know if I can get more fabric as I took almost 6 months to find just the find fabric so it has been more than 12 months since I purchased it.

I am thinking of putting a small green strip either side of the border fabric and use the small black floral print for my first border.

I hope you can understand what I am trying to explain. I really want to finish this and not put it away and forget about it.
    Karen

Not to add to the confusion, that border fabric is folder over and I have enough of it for what I need.. it just looks like it is too short
    Karen

Page 152 of 542 FirstFirst ... 52 102 142 151 152 153 162 202 252 ... LastLast