Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 414 of 542 FirstFirst ... 314 364 404 413 414 415 424 464 514 ... LastLast
Results 10,326 to 10,350 of 13526

Thread: The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page

No, JanRN, you are not nuts, its just that season of Turkey that we all go off our rockers. Just enjoy it by the
    seconds and minutes with family and friends.

In answer to your question, www.foodnetwork.com/Trisha has a recipe you put your turkey in before going to bed...its on a rack and water is underneath with veggies. You set your oven on 500 degrees for ONE hour, then turn it off without opening up the oven door. . . until the next morning. Turkey is all done, go on with all the sides and stuffing. No basting necessary, its juicy and tender. No stress.

Love Carrie's carrot dish she gave us last year. Excellent dish. Good luck everyone with your Turkey Day. and all that work, and enjoy all the leftovers.

I don't care what they say on TV...I would not leave a turkey in the oven that way for an hour and expect the turkey to have an internal temp of 165* and I wouldn't even think of leaving it in the oven on auto cook for a couple of hours...The cooks where I used to work would set the ovens at 325* and cook them overnight..but I'm talking about 30 -45 lb turkeys... if you need the bird early get up around 5 a.m. butter the breast under the skin, tent the bird and cover the legs with foil, set the temp at 325* go back to bed for another couple of hours then turn it up to 375* when you get up... remove the foil the last 1/2 to brown. check the birds temp. That's what I would do... If you're not stuffing the bird, I would have it in the oven by 7 a.m. it should be ready in time for your guests...What size bird are you cooking?? I'm cooking a 14 lb bird and will have it in the oven by 8 and we'll be eating by 1..
    Last edited by Honchey; 11-25-2014 at 02:07 PM.

Thank you! I have about a 12-14 pounder and I'm sure if it's in by 8 I can take it out by 12:30; if it's not done, I'll stick it in the microwave. I saw the same cooking show, QNS and I don't trust them. Seems like all the meat they cook is pink and I don't like pink meat LOL. That and they all look too pretty to be cooking!

Anne, are you in NC or NJ? Either way, watch out for the storm they're predicting. It's supposed to miss us-Yay!

Probably won't talk to yinz until after the holiday, so please all--know I am so thankful for your friendship--you are all blessings. Have a happy happy Thanksgiving.
    Imagine all the people living life in peace...(John Lennon 1940-1980)

I finished the binding today! Quilt is in the washer now....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beautiful job, Carrie! Love the colors!

Oh Carrie! I love it! It's so purdy!
    Bev
    My initials are BB, so dublb is double B.

I always cook my turkeys in one of those cooking bags. They cook in around 3 hours and are real juicy and a pretty brown. Have been cooking my turkey in those bags for years. The last few years, I cook the turkey on Wednesday and carve it and put the slices in an oblong pyrex dish. I put drippings over the turkey slices and cover with foil. The next day I just pop it in the oven to reheat. Saves so much time on Thanksgiving day!

Wonderful quilt Carrie, I love the colors.

"You have enough quilts made when your soul is filled, your creativity satisfied and your fingers just won't work anymore."

Day started w/DH & I runnin' some errands. Then it was early release day for DGNephew. I had ta pick him up just after 1:00. He was askin' about several different places so I pulled up Google Maps & we roamed all over the globe. We then got our readin' done & finally went ta the park. A nice day over all.
    Bev

Jan, Jan, I'm in NC right now...DS & GS flew in yesterday and we were going all day & night!
    I have to go out & pick up a pumpkin pie & a roasting pan...I will prep my stuffing today so it will be ready to pop in the bird first thing tomorrow morning...just a simple dressing but I do it from scratch...

Carrie, the quilt is lovely...I love that color combination...

Everyone have a peaceful day tomorrow...We all have so much to be thankful for...

Tamarrow about half o' my family will come ta my house. This is the year that if ya have an In Law than ya have Thanksgivin' w/them. Those o' us that don't have IN Laws will have Dinner at my house.
    Bev

Butterball (13.39lbs) and stuffing will go in the oven in the morning by 8 p'clock.. then on to work on the sides. Pies (Pumpkin and Cherry) are done, and so are the green beans and bacon bits. Going to open up my 2 jars of sweet potatoes and combine with 1 jar of apples add a few marshmallows and brown sugar. Done. Peel a few Irish Potatoes for mashed potatoes and the meal is complete. A friend and her husband are coming in to dine with us. Good food and good company...for all of us...Happy Thanksgiving.

Sounds wonderful QNS! We are having Spiral sliced ham, Scalloped potatoes, Yams, Garlic roasted Green Beans with Shallots and Almonds, Cranberry Relish, Deviled Eggs and Potato Rolls. Pumpkin and Chocolate Satin Pies for dessert. We are at my son's house in Phoenix - weather is suppose to be in the high 70's tomorrow, but drop back into the high 60's the rest of the week. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
    "You have enough quilts made when your soul is filled, your creativity satisfied and your fingers just won't work anymore."

Blog Entries
    dinner is over..little kiddos trying to go to sleep as they leave early tomorrow am. meanwhile kids up north are vomiting..hope it doesn't infect anyone else. Gotta go. Happy thanksgiving!
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    I donate quilts to the AAQI.

I hope ya had a great & happy Thanksgivin'! We had a very nice Dinner. Tamarrow we are headed ta Brady so I'll see ya'll next week.
    Bev

Dublb, have a wonderful week in Brady.

Oksewglad, hope no others have that bug...its so hard to watch the little ones suffer from any sickness.

Honchey hope your Thanksgiving was wonderful.

JanRN, hope your turkey and trimmings all went well.

JeanieG, enjoy your wonderful weather where you are.

And Carrie, I hope you slowed down a bit and enjoyed the day.

We ate, then we all took a nap. Senior citizens know how to spend Thanksgiving afternoon doing their Zs.

Sounds like everyone had a great holiday. Thanks for all the advice on getting my turkey on the table by 1 o'clock. It was actually very nice not to be in the kitchen at midnight still cleaning up. Everyone enjoyed the meal and left by 4 so my DIL & DGS could go to work. After I finished cleaning up I had all evening free to watch tv and listen to MrJanRN snore in the recliner LOL.

Trying to get some sewing done but having new gas logs installed in the fireplace and I'm the errand girl so not much sewing being done. Have a great week-end!

Got all the future leftovers wrapped and put away for hot turkey sandwiches & then then the carcass & stuffing & gravy will make a wonderful soup to freeze... My son & gson are on their way home right now..we brought them to the airport and now it's nice & quiet in the house...little one has such a horrible cough..it almost sounds like whooping cough...it rained the first 2 days of their visit..lousy weather..it's just about freezing here now in spite of the sun shining...supposed to warm up starting tomorrow..

It seems like we all had a great Thanksgiving...now we can all rest for awhile... See you all tomorrow

Make me get off this computer. I don't go shopping on Black Friday but I've spent the day on here. Amazon has Laurie's new book on special plus 30% off. If you like paper piecing (I'm hooked) check out www.quiltpro.com. Everything is 50% off. My Discover card is melted.

I have a question...If I want to use a pinking rotary blade to cut fabric where do I place the edge of the template/ruler if I want an accurate measurement?

An interesting question, Honchey. Since I am right handed, I measure from left to right the 6 1/2 inches, hold the ruler down and cut....for a six and one half inch block, and etc., for other measurements. It will be interesting to know how Ok or Jan or Jeanie does it....or QuiltE....if she still reads our link...they may well have a better idea than I.

I know that with a straight edge blade you want the cut to be on the line of the mat with the edge of the template to be there also..where do you place the template in regards to the line on the mat with the pinking blade?? I'm not too sure if I'm making myself clear???

I would 'pink' around the template the same way....using the edge of the template like it was the ruler. To 'pink' prevents it from unraveling the weave of the cloth...I think in the older day of using newspaper as a pattern, they cut on the edge of the template, so as not to destroy the pattern template...like as if it were a 'tin' template as they did at the edge of the ruler. I may be wrong, and someone else may have a better idea. Hope I am understanding and answering the question like I would do it. Just my two cents worth!

Honchey--I understand what you are asking. I've never used the pinking blade, so am not sure. I would say test on some scrap material to be sure. This is what I would do...if you want a 2 1/2" strip, trim to square up/pink the outside edge, then put the ruler at 2 1/2" and cut...then try sewing a 1/4" on each side and measure in-between...if it is right it should be 2"...does that make sense?

I had Mon-Thurs off work. I spent some time with my sisters and their families at our mom's house on Wednesday. DH's mom came here for lunch on Thurs. I took a nap Thurs afternoon instead of going to the clubhouse. I might go out and sew a bit yet today. We should split some firewood since the weather is so nice today, but not sure anyone really feels like doing it....

That's what I want to do...'cause if I'm using a guide to sew the 1/4" seam I have to figure out where to cut....

Blog Entries
    Ahhh, maybe life is back to normal...well whatever normal is. DH and DS are watching football on tv. Local team has lost yet another game. Now onto a nap for them before they head outside.

DD and I took a short walk this am before lunch of tuna noodle casserole. I've been cooking for 7-18 all week and menu ideas are running out. Only leftovers are the turkey soup and a small bowl of goulash.
    It's been a wonderful week despite the normal crying and the intermittent coughing.

Carrie, thanks for sharing your soft, cuddly looking quilt. Your niece will love it. Lucky you to spend time with your sisters. I do miss mine.

Good ? regarding pinking cuts, Honchey. One of the things I don't like about products is their linked edge. Personal preference, I guess.

Thanks for the tip on Laurie's book, Jan. Will go check it out.

FYI... now have WiFi and a kindle and can access from main floor...more to learn!

Next week finds me chained to computer as I have to get started on EOY books before the next Cornish of Holidays. Mass family will be here for a week...and so it goes. Later dear friends.��
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    I donate quilts to the AAQI.

Page 414 of 542 FirstFirst ... 314 364 404 413 414 415 424 464 514 ... LastLast