Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 508 of 542 FirstFirst ... 8 408 458 498 507 508 509 518 ... LastLast
Results 12,676 to 12,700 of 13526

Thread: The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page

Thank you Jan! A final day with at my son's in Phoenix, then we head back to California.

We enjoyed out trip to New Mexico. We saw the Painted Desert and Petrified Forest. But the highlight of our trip was Chaco Canyon. It was an experience getting there! The last 20 miles was on a dirt road! But the ceremonial Indian dwellings were spectacular. One had over 200 rooms and was 4 stories high. They were all made out of rock and mortar of some kind. There was a 9 mile loop that had numerous dwellings. We actually went back a second day, as you cannot see it all in one day. It was 7000 ft, so we got tired really fast walking around all the ruins. It was AMAZING!!!
    "You have enough quilts made when your soul is filled, your creativity satisfied and your fingers just won't work anymore."

Happy Birthday Jeanie! It's also very windy here in NJ, I was out shopping early today and used the remote to open the trunk..Big Mistake..I thought the wind was going to unhinge it as a gust came up.. Jan, DH is watching the game right now...
    My knee is really bad so I sat all day yesterday sorting all the scraps in my sewing area..I really need to stop buying fabric ... I have to rest it so I'll be able to work on the 9th, 10th & 11th...I just hope it holds up until after that..
    can't get to see my DR. cause he's on vacation and don't trust anyone else.. Bummer.

Honchey, since you got a Craftsy package, maybe you would know-- Do they give you free shipping if you buy a certain total amount? I thought I saw that someplace, but when I put stuff in the shopping cart, there is a shipping charge so I wondered if there is a code or something I need to put there for the free shipping?

Best wishes, Jeanie, for many happy returns!
    Last edited by givio; 04-03-2016 at 10:22 AM.

givio--Craftsy shipping is usually free with a $100 order...sometimes they have specials where it is free with $50 orders...

Like Carriem said sometimes it's with a $50 purchase most times it's with$100 order... I only buy the sale or clearance stuff...

Happy B-day Jeanie! I spent your b-day packing the trailer & the back of the truck! Gosh I am tired tonight! We leave for Brady tomarrow. Am I ever gonna get moved?
    Bev
    My initials are BB, so dublb is double B.

Bev, I hope so! :-)
    My son and daughter-in-law have been shopping for their first house. They have only lived in one rented house, but have been there about 7 years. I thought they didn't have much to move, but the last time I was there visiting I noticed all the end tables in their house were gone. "What happened to your tables?" I asked. My son said they were getting rid of everything they didn't absolutely want so they would have less to move when the time came.

Good luck, Bev. I don't plan to ever move, I'll let my son deal with all this stuff after I pass on to that quilting studio in the sky LOL.

Well, I think I figured out why people have a lot of UFOs. Personally, my least favorite part is the actual quilting because I suck at it. But what really got to me was sashings. Ugh! I just finished sashing and putting together a quilt top with 72 4" blocks with 1" sashing. It took forever--well, 4 days but that's forever when you're ADHD like me. Since the blocks are very busy I didn't use cornerstones--that would have added even more days. I kept taking breaks and walking downstairs, straight to the fridge and "rewarded" myself with a piece of cheese. I think I've eaten over a pound of cheese in the last 4 days LOL!!! Now I'm dreading sashing the FWS 1930s blocks. Is there an easy or fast way to do them? They will need cornerstones. Guess I better stock up on cheese unless someone has a suggestion to make doing them less tedious & boring.
    Imagine all the people living life in peace...(John Lennon 1940-1980)

Jan, Aren't these blocks set on point?? That's easy peasy!!! I make the side triangles a little bigger so there's no chance of losing the points..if you have the background fabric you could start setting the triangles on the blocks as you make them..

Nor going to sent my blocks on point...I will sew the sashings on one side of the blocks and chain sew them on per row., then set the rows together with a long strip...no cornerstones. The blocks are all 'too busy'. Mollie is gving me so much trouble...I increased the size of the little triangle and I think it is going to help... may not post for several days...its really giving me hard time.

Our next move will be when we cannot move around here and keep up with everything or when we go out the door feet first. Then its someone else's problem.

Happy belated birthday, Jeanie. Good luck with your move Dublb.

I'm not setting FWS 30s on point; I want it to look like my other FWS quilts. I'll use cornerstones on them with black sashing. Just whining I guess because when I get all the blocks for a quilt done I'm ready to start a new project LOL.

Sounds like a plan, JanRN. I think I will use a light green and a darker green. One on the bottom/top and one on the sides but still thinking about that. No sweet sixteen long arm here, so no decisions on the quilting of it.

I left a clue or hint on the next FW set I did (Just my 2 cents worth), on how to do the 24 one inch squares without driving myself crazy. You'all may have discovered a better way.

Hey Ya'll, we are in Brady tonight. I love to work outside while it is cool. I thought that it would still be a nice temp but when we got here it was 87*! In the house that would have been good enough (as we opened the windows & the breeze off of the lake was nice) but I got started watering all my plants as soon as we got here. Everything was real dry! It was supposed to rain once between this trip & the last, but it didn't. DH unloaded the truck while I wandered around watering everything. By the time I was through, I was HOT! We made a run to the store room & then picked up some salad from the store. Once we were home I took a cold shower! Ahhh I feel so much better. DH cooked a steak & a butternut squash on the grill! Yummy! After supper I unpacked DMIL's china & put it in her buffet. Well that is 2 more boxes empty!
    Bev
    My initials are BB, so dublb is double B.

I'm trying not to leave the background all to the end. I've put together some of the blocks, but unfortunately, I'm thinking I need to seam rip and do over one side of 3 rows, as I can't buy the same color fabric anymore. I think I might lose interest at the end of the block making... and make the UFO instead of the quilt... so that's why I'm starting to sew the background now-- while you girls are still here and I can get encouragement to continue each week with the project. You girls are a big help. Thanks.

Bev, it snowed again here last night!

I think it's a good idea to start sewing on the sashing strips before assembling the entire quilt; but I move things around so much. Maybe I'll just do one side of each block. I say this as I'm already cutting out fabric for a table runner and copying pp patterns for my next 2 projects so you know I probably won't work on the sashings LOL.

It is cold outside right now but very sunny All my 30's sewing is still in the car waiting to be unpacked. I think it's time to get it all in the house... Have to wait until DH gets back from the DR's..Now it's time for me to post the new thread...

Thanks, Honchey. I have posted. I also checked in with Jenny Beyer this morning and ordered High Tea, templates, fabric, and turn tables for the eight and twelve inch squares and their diamond templates featured this week. I think it was an F A R T trip without leaving home! And ordered the short cut sheets from Carla to speed up my quilting pace. LOL! That Jenny Beyer monthly newsletter is always tempting quilting stuff... oh, well, you only live one time around, might as well enjoy it when we can! Quilt friends always understand!

I won't be able to get into my quilting domain for another two weeks or so. I think the cabinets are going to be installed tomorrow and the granite top will take at least another two weeks, oh lord. I am dying to go create something. I will be able to empty all the bins tho and put into the cabinets and not all the stuff has to go back right? lol. I can't wait. I am so tired of work work work. Every time you turn around there is something else to do lol.....so while I wait for the counter top, I can do some sewing or whatever in my studio. I can't believe all the stuff that came out of the cabinets.

Good morning, hope all is well with yinz! After going to the quilting expo last week you'd think I'd be "shopped out". Nope. FART today to my favorite shop that sells miles of batiks--when I walk in I hear angels singing! Since I didn't purchase much except patterns last week, I need more fabric to make all those new patterns. At least that's what I told MrJan. He asked his usual question when I told him I was going: do you need money? And for the first time I said yes LOL!! Kind of surprised him but he handed over cash--he's such an enabler and encourages me so much (even tho his comments on my project are usually a "that's nice, hon").

Have a great day ladies, do something you love!

Tell us about it when you get back home JanRN. Nice attitude your dh has...wish my dh had a good attitude like that! Oh, well we are still together, cannot stop trying yet to have him cheerier.

Anxious to see the "High Tea" fabric and pattern from Jenny Beyer and two turn tables, an eight and twelve inch I have wanted forever. And the pattern of the Lone Star from Soft Expressions That is pre-printed foundation pattern. Quilter 65 is heading up a class on that April 25th...so I ordered the Queen and a King size...will use Ann's shop for fabric for one of them. And the pages of 'short cuts" from Carla which I hope will allow me to cut a quilt in a day...or so. Spring has sprung, and I am ready to go....onward! Reorganizing the quilt room one more time! Dh did not want to discard the old entertainment TV stand four foot (tall) by 12 inches, (wide) so its coming into the QR. Will use the shelves to put fabric on, hopefully. l l that I can see it (with my one eye) and not lose it in-house!

Everyone has a nice day!

Great FART today. I finally decided on the sashing, cornerstones, and borders for FWS 30s. The sashing will be black, borders are a subtle black, pale yellow, pale green, pale pinkish swirls. The cornerstones will be mostly pale yellow with swirls of the different shades of green and pink. This isn't going to be a "quiet" quilt LOL but very colorful.

QNS, I'm interested in that Lone Star pattern that is preprinted. When you get it, let me know what you think. I swear I'm never making a large quilt again but I love Lone Stars and this sounds like an intriguing way of doing it rather than with all those bias diamond shapes.

There are several areas of the board I don't understand although I've been a member for years. This thread is one of them... Can someone explain it to a nosy outsider like me? Is this just a chat group of friends?

Many thanks.
    http://www.craftsy.com/user/333534/pattern-store?
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 17 Album of Blocks I Made for Others http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19654.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sewbizgirl, we (original group) started with the Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt by Laura Aaron Hird. Second book of her's was the Farmer's Wife Pony Club, thus the name of this one. Although most of us have never met the rest of us, we have remained QB 'buddies' under the PC title because we have not all finished our PC quilts yet. I have my top all finished waiting to take it to a LA who did the FWSQ for me. When Laura Aaron Hird came out with her third book, Honchey started another thread for the FW 1930. We are doing the sixties numbered blocks in that now and it ends with 99 blocks... in time to begin Laura Aaron Hird's forth coming fourth book.... Others are welcome to join in and begin the first, second or third book with us...several newbies have joined us in discussions here. Hope this helps to explain our thread here. Some 'Look and Read' what we say and never join into the discussion...which is fine, too. It is totally up to the individual on what they do or do not do on site. We do pass on tips, products, or recipes that we have found along the way. You are welcome to join in on our discussions...and hope you enjoy what you have read.

So far, QB has been very kind to us and we all appreciate that, and try to follow their rules to the letter.

My DH and myself, celebrated our 50th wedding anniversary last week, this group lead by Honchey, was very kind to us by mailing us cards plus a Red Lobster card where we love to eat once or twice a year. Honchey, I mailed out small packets to each of you today to say 'Thank you', so everyone needs to watch for them that contributed; you know who you are. Not priority mail, but please let me know by PM or email if you do not receive it.

JanRN, I have seen the Soft Expressions preprinted 'cloth' foundation for the Lone Star, Queen size, and love it. Quilter 65 showed us what she had started in our Stack 'Whack class she taught, so we ask for this one, too. It is very simple to do and it keeps the diamonds all lined up correctly. It is offered as a Queen or King size right now and is reasonably priced...four quarters or six quarters.
    Last edited by QuiltingNinaSue; 04-06-2016 at 02:57 PM.

Thank you, QuiltingNinaSue, for that nice explanation. I have enjoyed the little bit I've read from this knowledgeable group. So, if I scroll through the pages I expect I will find the blocks you have made and shared? I would love to get the 1930's book and try some of those with my growing collection of reproduction prints.

Glad I asked!

I know Honchey from the Birthday Candy Swap thread... or was it one of SheriR's candy swaps? Honchey was very generous with all of us and gave us fabric squares from her stash, even tho she didn't want any back! Hi Honchey!
    Last edited by sewbizgirl; 04-06-2016 at 05:37 PM.
    http://www.craftsy.com/user/333534/pattern-store?
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 17 Album of Blocks I Made for Others http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19654.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hi Sewbiz, Welcome to this thread or any of the other "FWS" Quiltalongs.. QNS has explained this group very well..We all learn from each other and encourage others to join the journeys. It's best to stay with the current one as some have said the other threads are hard to find and there aren't any photos of the blocks that have been made.
    What book do you have or are getting?

Nina, what have you heard about the next book.. I'll have to find out.. maybe I'll email Laurie and ask her myself.

Page 508 of 542 FirstFirst ... 8 408 458 498 507 508 509 518 ... LastLast