Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The FWS Pony Club week 19  Good Cheer & Girl's Favorite  Discussion Page >

The FWS Pony Club week 19 Good Cheer & Girl's Favorite Discussion Page

The FWS Pony Club week 19 Good Cheer & Girl's Favorite Discussion Page

Old 05-19-2012, 09:52 AM

The trellis on the East Door is a beef panel over landscape timbers, and it is starting to lean off to one side from the weight of the clematis plants. Two plants on each side of the door...one side is red, the other blue. I thought it was "bull" strong when my dh built it. Guess we own the leaning tower of clematis...may have to make a clematis quilt!!

I am down to the last row in the middle of my Farmer's Wife Quilt Sampler, of getting all sewn together. Cleaned kitchen this morning, did laundry, checked on all the fowl, feed the eight cats, went into town for dog food, fixed lunch and baked brownies. Hope to get time in the quilt room Have to reset some sweet potato plants...dh trellised 26 tomatoes in the garden this morning, dh thinks there are fresh strawberries to pick and the rhubarb needs to be pulled and frozen.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:33 AM
Power Poster

OMG .... you never stop, QNSue!!!!
Yours is not only a paradise, but with fields of plenty!
Old 05-19-2012, 11:01 AM

It wears me out just reading all your posts about what you have accomplished this morning QNS! You have an enormous amount of energy!
Old 05-19-2012, 01:25 PM

Here's what I've been doin'!
http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...ml#post5228337
Old 05-19-2012, 06:13 PM

Tiling now, that is hard work; we have done some tile at one time; cute how you used your quilt tool for the tile. I slept out and played today compared with that job. But, oh, the benefits of a new floor, and a new 'clean' look brightens up the whole house.
Old 05-19-2012, 07:24 PM
Power Poster

The trellis on the East Door is a beef panel over landscape timbers,

I use "cattle" and "hog" panels in my garden. We have cut some in half so they are 8'--work perfect for pea and tomato fences in my 8 x 4 raised beds. Mine are left overs from calf duty. I've also put one (hog panel) vertically on the end of the bed. This year it's growing pole beans. DDIL's new calf barn have eliminated the need for them--so let's reuse! We have a lot of clay ground around the house and the raised beds are so much better than beating the hard clay soils--gets like cement when dry in the summer.
Old 05-20-2012, 04:54 AM

Oksewglad & QNSue...those panels are the best for many applications. My son in TX had me help him design and build a 4 tier, 8 foot long grow bed for starting seedlings when he was just starting his garden market farm. Those panels worked perfect. I'm not on the farm now and have had to resort to regular rolled wire which works but the panels don't take so many supports. OKSG...I started gardening in that kind of soil but that was before much was being said about raised beds. I'm gardening in sand now which is totally different but I do have raised beds so I can add as much humans as possible to where I plant. Mulch is a must.

Dubib...you are very resourceful. Hope you can enjoy the fruits of your labors soon.
Old 05-20-2012, 05:13 AM
Power Poster

Clay ... I know all about it ... UGH! .... Raised in heavy clay country and our first farm was just that, though it did have some lighter fields. Oh joy, oh bliss. All my flowerbeds were always heavy clay, and as for getting any compost/manure to help lighten it up, forget it .... farmer husband was non-cooperative and non-interested.

When we bought our farm in '88, we thought we were in heaven ... loam! It was beautiful in the fields, garden, flower beds. I remember the former owner saying to us ... you don't have to know how to farm in this land, you just throw the seeds in and it grows!!!! He was a good farmer, though he was totally correct on the not needing to know how ... for clay, OMG you could sure mess things up if you did it wrong ... and lots did, due to being impatient!

Wet spring weather in clay country meant 10 lbs of mud on your boots.
Wet spring weather in this beautiful loam, hardly a trace!

So I always sympathize with those with clay .... though in a dry year, you have the advantage that the soil retains the moisture better for the plants, and the crops can generally fair better than in the lighter soils.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:32 AM
Power Poster

It's me again .... dropping by with a treat for you, to enjoy with your morning cuppa ......

http://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/just-little-irish-t189484.html#post5229640

Yes, with significant incluences by OKSGlad and Granny59!! Thank you ladies ... yes, you have me hooked!
Old 05-20-2012, 07:14 AM

Oh My! Oh My! Oh My! Spectacular......