Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page: Continued (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/fws-pony-club-update-photo-discussion-completed-page-continued-t280960.html)

QuiltingNinaSue 06-27-2017 04:05 AM

SBG, what bargains did you find at Marshall's? I found some yesterday, gave about $2.00 to $4.00 a yard for the fabric. S&W is being quilted and cousin Mary's quilt is there to get done also. Love those finished jobs!

sewbizgirl 06-27-2017 06:33 AM

QNS, at Marshalls I found all kinds of pretty name brand pieces in the flat folds. I got restocked for I Spy quilts and adult charity quilts, too. So much fun.

My Pony Club book came and I've been having fun just reading it. Can't believe they used to GIVE ponies out as prizes to children for selling subscriptions to the Farmer's Wife magazine. How wonderful in the Good Old Days. Now I need to stock up on western/horsie type fabrics for this quilt I will make one day.

QuiltingNinaSue 06-29-2017 03:35 PM

Ann was so quick to get me Mary's double bed quilt and the Stack and whack back to me to bind. Mary's is 66 x 99, so I did the binding on the front of the quilt today And will turn it over and do the back tomorrow, I hope. Have the Wild Flying Geese five by five block quilt together on the vertical board. Husband is impressed that I am 'turning out' the quilts to the v.board. Starting another 'quick' nine patch on point using fabric I have on hand. Simple straight stitching, selvage to selvage sewing.

I did buy 10 yards of fabric at $2.00 per yard...a future stack and whack...Gold matching fabric same price. Too good of a deal to pass by on it. Dh is still having hearing problems...goes for a hearing test next which will solve nothing. He has bee checked before.

Power went off last night, so I was up at five this morning and in my QR. You'all have fun!

sewbizgirl 06-29-2017 04:08 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I guess your power came back on if you were quilting at 5am!

I got my entry forms ready to deliver for tomorrow's deadline. I'm entering two quilts in a local show. This is my first time to enter anything in a show! These are the two... don't expect to win anything, just 'sharing'.....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]575499[/ATTACH]
Needleturn applique (my first try!) and hand quilting.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]575500[/ATTACH]
Hand embroidery and hand quilting.

Hope you like them!

givio 06-29-2017 04:57 PM

$2 a yard!! What a steal! Even with a big repeat, it seems you should have what you need for S&W with 10 yards. I'd like to see the print, if you want to take a picture of it. I need practice seeing what print works good for S&W...

Lovely handwork, SBG! Those are great accomplishments.

dublb 07-01-2017 04:33 AM

Someone stop this Merry Go Round, I wanta get off!
Life is so busy right now. I do want my DD & her family to move here but this transition period is driving me a bit crazy!
I want ya'll to know that I am not ignoring ya'll, just too busy to post most of the time right now.

sewbizgirl 07-01-2017 07:03 AM

Just enjoy one day at a time, Bev... we'll be here when you have time to come back.

I took my quilt show applications in yesterday and they asked me if I had one more quilt I could submit! Seems they don't have quite enough quilts for the show and have extended the registration by three weeks. I will find another of my quilts to submit, but all the rest of them have machine sewn bindings. Hope that's ok.

QuiltingNinaSue 07-01-2017 01:13 PM

5 Attachment(s)
SBG. good luck on the showing. Don't know anything about it, but good luck.

Givio Pictures that you ask for:[ATTACH=CONFIG]575628[/ATTACH]Yellows were $2. per yard; green were $4. According to Bethany Reynolds, repeats on a 36 screen design every 36", 18", 12", 9". 6" selvage printing often give you clues. She recommends every 13" repeats to 23" or more.[ATTACH=CONFIG]575629[/ATTACH] The repeat of the little white/purple flower is about 13" apart. With her Magic Design of Good Morning, this is perfect to consider for that pattern. I hate dark back grounds, so I would go with the lighter shades on the printed fabric for a background color. The dark burned yellow and greens are for border and ribbons running around the main body of the quilt. Have you noticed in the selvages show you the colors that is is in the fabric? I had not until recently. Again, you can have from 4 to 8 layers of 'matched' layers to make the respective pattern in Stack & Whack quilts. They are a labor of love; I hvve literary thrown the pieces into a corner for a 'cool out' period of time.

Dublb, take some deep breaths, and say tp your self, "This too shall pass just like gas! Smile and get back to us when you can. Smile everyone, makes the world wonder what you have been too.

Surprising cousin with the Log Cabin tomorrow, binding is all done.[ATTACH=CONFIG]575630[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]575631[/ATTACH]Backing that was a nightmare. $17.99 a yard and Ann put her fingers through the backing when she was turning it. Thank goodness she had a fabric glue that bonded it together...and found it had been cut wrong, more than seven inches off straight across. She did a lovely heart pattern with her LA[ATTACH=CONFIG]575633[/ATTACH]Love it.

sewbizgirl 07-01-2017 04:45 PM

QNS, LOVE that yellow floral!!! And only $2 a yard? What a score. The other fabrics are pretty too, but I really love that yellow. Be sure and show us that quilt, as you get it together. What Stack n Whack pattern are you going to make? Our quilt group wants a refresher lesson in the 6 layer hexi S&W, so I'm going to teach that at our next big Saturday meeting. Just 60 degree triangles cut and six put together into hexagons.

Your Log Cabin is beautiful in those blues. Your cousin is bound to love it.

givio 07-01-2017 06:01 PM

I agree-- whenever you get fabric for $2/yard it's a wonderful bargain. And it's such a lovely floral! I'm fond of adding green with florals, what could be more natural, considering that leaves and stems of flowers are green? :-)

SBG, I'm sure you can find another quilt to enter, and probably 10 more! What could be unacceptable with a sewn binding? It's one of the reasons I don't like quilt shows. As if there is a 'proper way' to make a binding, let alone anything about a quilt. It's a creative process, unique to the individual making it, and they can make it any way they want IMHO.