Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
"Preferred" parking...grrr! >

"Preferred" parking...grrr!

"Preferred" parking...grrr!

Old 01-01-2011, 01:20 PM

We were at Red Robin with friends the other day & a Sheriff's car stopped in back of our cars. One got out and went to the front to make sure we really do have handicapped tags. Gotta love parking enforcement!
Old 01-01-2011, 01:24 PM

I'm handicap, but my roommate who drives me around isn't...and sometimes when he gets out of the car and comes around to help me, people say nasty things to him thinking he's just trying to get a free parking spot, but he is actually driving me around....he doesn't drive my car unless he's taking me someplace.

So, I know how it is...when a parking space is for a handicapped person, and they can't find an open spot, they do get angry. Luckily, when we can't find an open spot, he just drops me off at the front door and then goes and parks in a regular spot.
Old 01-01-2011, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
Originally Posted by quiltmom04
I get so upset at people who ignore the "No Parking - Fire Lane" painted along the sidewalks at the shopping center. Yesterday, some one parked there to go in to Starbucks! I almost said, "Doesn't the No Parking sign mean YOU?" Grrr!
-------------------------------------------------------------
AND the Handicapped parking. I absolutely despise the healthy people who park there, with or without Grandpa's parking pass hung on the mirror. And then they get out and trot to the store. When I get angry they merely shrug and say that it was the only close parking space there!! I've pushed my late DH's wheelchair half a block in pounding rain to get to a doctor's office, and in the sun and wind when he wanted to go to a special store, while younger healthy people parked near by in
the handicapped parking spaces.
Once when I was chewing a young man out a meter reader came along and asked if it was HIS parking pass. And he got an expensive ticket while several older people and I stood and almost cheered. I think the ticket at that time was about $170 or so, YEAH!!
Ok, another take on this: my sister and I used to take our mom shopping in HER car w/HC sitcker. One of us would grocery shop with mom while the other ran other errands with her car. when she wasn't with us we used "regular" parking spots. when we would return to the grocery we would park in the HC spot and run it to help mom and sister with groceries. anyone watching would see a "healthy" person taking up that spot. what you see isn't always what you think it is.
Old 01-01-2011, 01:38 PM

Agree just not right the healthy using the plates for cheater parking, have taken others who could have benefited from closer parking!! So we park as close as can get with enough room to use aid, walker,chair etc.
As for me I'm one of those parkers who mostly park way out so less dings from the other inconsiderates, with the attitude of who cares if you slam their door into the next car.
Old 01-01-2011, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
Originally Posted by quiltmom04
I get so upset at people who ignore the "No Parking - Fire Lane" painted along the sidewalks at the shopping center. Yesterday, some one parked there to go in to Starbucks! I almost said, "Doesn't the No Parking sign mean YOU?" Grrr!
-------------------------------------------------------------
AND the Handicapped parking. I absolutely despise the healthy people who park there, with or without Grandpa's parking pass hung on the mirror. And then they get out and trot to the store. When I get angry they merely shrug and say that it was the only close parking space there!! I've pushed my late DH's wheelchair half a block in pounding rain to get to a doctor's office, and in the sun and wind when he wanted to go to a special store, while younger healthy people parked near by in
the handicapped parking spaces.
Once when I was chewing a young man out a meter reader came along and asked if it was HIS parking pass. And he got an expensive ticket while several older people and I stood and almost cheered. I think the ticket at that time was about $170 or so, YEAH!!
I agree, I have my own handicap hangtag, but if it is one of my good days, I park in regular parking, so that someone worse off than me can have the space. I have seen some that violate the parking, and been told to F%$# O^% by someone in his 20's that just pulled in to run in for a minute. I nearly called the police that day, just to have the pleasure of seeing him get a ticket. Instead, I took the 3 shopping carts that were inbetweed our spots and lined them all up along the drivers side of his sports car. :twisted:
Old 01-01-2011, 01:58 PM

I totally agree. My sister used to drive my dad around and use his HC tag whenever she parked. Problem was she still used it even when he wasn't with her. My dad is now deceased and his tags are still good for another year, which my sis still uses even though she is no where near handicapped. Needless to say I don't talk to her much anymore..... for many more reasons besides this.
Old 01-01-2011, 02:05 PM

Don't always assume that just because a person who is young gets out of the car that they don't have a disability. I may look perfectly fine to you when I get out of my car but have multiple scars and problems from my 5 unsuccessful back surgeries! I know there are people who abuse the system and it burns me up as well. It's just that you can't always tell who has a problem and who doesn't. If there is a relatively close spot I will park there and leave the HC spot for someone worse off, but if it is a bad day for me and there is no other close space I will use my tags.

Originally Posted by C.Cal Quilt Girl
Agree just not right the healthy using the plates for cheater parking, have taken others who could have benefited from closer parking!! So we park as close as can get with enough room to use aid, walker,chair etc.
As for me I'm one of those parkers who mostly park way out so less dings from the other inconsiderates, with the attitude of who cares if you slam their door into the next car.
--------------------------
One way to keep your car with NO dings, is to park between a Jaguar and a Lexus!!!!
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Snorky Lvs2Quilt
I totally agree. My sister used to drive my dad around and use his HC tag whenever she parked. Problem was she still used it even when he wasn't with her. My dad is now deceased and his tags are still good for another year, which my sis still uses even though she is no where near handicapped. Needless to say I don't talk to her much anymore..... for many more reasons besides this.
That wouldn't happen were I live, DMV requires you return them when someone is deceased. I got a letter when my husband passed and I had to take them into the DMV.
Old 01-01-2011, 02:07 PM

Instead, I took the 3 shopping carts that were inbetweed our spots and lined them all up along the drivers side of his sports car. :twisted:[/quote]
---------------------------------------
Big WHOOPS here, sure wish I could have seen that one!!
giggle snort and howl!!

Did you stick around to see what happened?