Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
"Preferred" parking...grrr! >

"Preferred" parking...grrr!

"Preferred" parking...grrr!

Old 01-01-2011, 02:11 PM

That wouldn't happen were I live, DMV requires you return them when someone is deceased. I got a letter when my husband passed and I had to take them into the DMV.[/quote]
-------------------------------------------------
I didn't get a notice, but dropped them by the DMV, which seemed to shock the nice man behind the counter. I did that so that I could honestly tell a mooch that I didn't have it any more. He had several times commented that he could use it since DH was in the nursing home, but I did take him places now and then.
The mooch does not need a parking tag but is too lazy to do much on his own, which includes walking to his favorite bar.
Old 01-01-2011, 02:13 PM

not all handicaps are as visible as a cane, walker or wheelchair. There are people with pain, balance problems, shortness of breath etc.

that being said, I read where 10% of the drivers in OH, I think it was, have handicap plates or tags. Are there really that many that sick?
Old 01-01-2011, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
Instead, I took the 3 shopping carts that were inbetweed our spots and lined them all up along the drivers side of his sports car. :twisted:
---------------------------------------
Big WHOOPS here, sure wish I could have seen that one!!
giggle snort and howl!!

Did you stick around to see what happened?[/quote]

If it wasn't for his attitude, I never would have done that...I didn't stick around, I had a hair appt. But he did NOT have handicap plates or tags. Sometimes it is a bit of fun to be a Senior Citizen.

:shock:
Old 01-01-2011, 02:14 PM
Power Poster

I think it varies from state to state. It is also a 170 dollar fine here if you get caught using someone else's hc tags and they aren't with you.
Old 01-01-2011, 02:21 PM

I've got a H/C plate, and if I'm driving myself around, I get out and immediately look for a cart so I can grab it to catch my balance and then I can walk in the store without worry of falling.

On some good days, I am able to walk with a spring in my step...although I'm always at risk of my leg giving out. On these days I do not park in the handicap spot, because I agree that the elderly should have a spot long before I should get one.

My pastor use to always tell the church, don't park in the handicap parking spot if you are not handicap...because it's like asking for an ailment....so on the days that I feel good, I want to park as far away from the h/c spots as I can.
Old 01-01-2011, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
not all handicaps are as visible as a cane, walker or wheelchair. There are people with pain, balance problems, shortness of breath etc.

that being said, I read where 10% of the drivers in OH, I think it was, have handicap plates or tags. Are there really that many that sick?
apparently some Drs. will give them to you just due to age. My mil's DR. wrote out a"rx" for one without her requesting it. I guess just because of her age, even thugh she was in good health and still working at the time.
we had to request the one for my mom and it is supposed to be returned after her death.
Old 01-01-2011, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by frugalfabrics
I've got a H/C plate, and if I'm driving myself around, I get out and immediately look for a cart so I can grab it to catch my balance and then I can walk in the store without worry of falling.

On some good days, I am able to walk with a spring in my step...although I'm always at risk of my leg giving out. On these days I do not park in the handicap spot, because I agree that the elderly should have a spot long before I should get one.

My pastor use to always tell the church, don't park in the handicap parking spot if you are not handicap...because it's like asking for an ailment....so on the days that I feel good, I want to park as far away from the h/c spots as I can.
I do the same...although on really bad days, I wouldn't even think about driving the car, let alone shop.
Old 01-01-2011, 03:20 PM

I never did like it when people who aren't handicapped use their friend's or relative's handicapped tag when the tag's owner isn't with them.

At the grocery store they have a couple parking spots for women who are pregnat. Everytime I see it I think "How would they enforce that?" I talked to my friend's sister recently during lunch break and I thought she had lost weight...turns out she's 7 months pregnat! She did loose some weight with this pregnacy though (guessing a lot of it was the weight she gained from the last pregnacy). Some women just don't look pregnat when they are...and then there are the one who look like they are, but who aren't. What would you have to do to prove you are deserving of that parking spot? Show the most recent ultrasound picture?

Sometimes at work I'll see people using the store's motorized wheelchairs that don't look like they'd be handicapped or disabled in some way. Then again, there's no way in knowing because sometimes its not so obvious. Except for the one time when I was still working on overnights there were three teenaged boys who took the ones near the closed entryway (our Wal-Mart closes one of the doors after 10pm). It was so obvious that they were just screwing around. That was a bit irritating. Yeah it was night so there were not a lot of people coming in, but sometimes there will be older disabled folks who do their shopping at night and need those chairs. And teenagers have nothing better to do than to ride around the Wal-Mart in the motorized chairs? :roll:
Old 01-01-2011, 03:27 PM

One grocery near me has expectant/new mother parking- kind of irritates me-not sure why.
Old 01-01-2011, 03:46 PM
BMP

I was in Houston visiting family. my uncle and I went to the local grocery store and he parked in the Expectant Mothers spot...I was mortified !!!