Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
"Preferred" parking...grrr! >

"Preferred" parking...grrr!

"Preferred" parking...grrr!

Old 01-01-2011, 03:51 PM

OK, here is another thing. DH and I are both in our late 70's He has a very hard time walking and I have a back you would not believe. He got DA license plates on our car. Many, many times we drive round and round and finally settle for a regular spot, only to be at falt in someone's eyes that we took a spot for "regular" people! Sometimes it is easier to stay home and send someone for you.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by BMP
I was in Houston visiting family. my uncle and I went to the local grocery store and he parked in the Expectant Mothers spot...I was mortified !!!
they're just courtesy spots, I don't think it can really be enforced, but i can imagine how you felt.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by quiltmom04
I get so upset at people who ignore the "No Parking - Fire Lane" painted along the sidewalks at the shopping center. Yesterday, some one parked there to go in to Starbucks! I almost said, "Doesn't the No Parking sign mean YOU?" Grrr!
If you made that Bargello quilt, it is GORGEOUS! I started one several years ago, but it is in my box of UFOs! Can you come to my house and help me finish it? :lol:
Old 01-01-2011, 04:37 PM

My mom is in a wheelchair and has a handicap tag. Whoever is with her gets to use the tag. (Mom never drove.) If there isn't a space we have to park somewhere else. One SIL loves taking mom places because she likes being able to park so close. Mom is amused. We always make sure mom has it back in the pocket of her wheelchair because we never know who will be available to take her places.
The one time I had trouble the handicap parking was on a fairly steep slope. It was close to the door but mom weighs 200 lbs and I couldn't help her and not worry about her chair rolling even with the brakes on. My car door kept wanting to close. So I moved further down where the lot was even. I've always wondered who planned that one.
I think if anyone ever has to help a handicapped person they would understand better why we need those spaces.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
Originally Posted by Snorky Lvs2Quilt
I totally agree. My sister used to drive my dad around and use his HC tag whenever she parked. Problem was she still used it even when he wasn't with her. My dad is now deceased and his tags are still good for another year, which my sis still uses even though she is no where near handicapped. Needless to say I don't talk to her much anymore..... for many more reasons besides this.
That wouldn't happen were I live, DMV requires you return them when someone is deceased. I got a letter when my husband passed and I had to take them into the DMV.
I am not sure what the DMV requires here in CA but I would imagine it is the same. One time the DMV even sent a HC tag for my mom who had been deceased for 3 years! My sis used that one too. Said her hubby needed it in his car....and he was a walking mailman!! I had asked her for the spare one for when I took my dad to his doc appts but she refused saying it was easier on them if they had one in both of their cars. arrgghh. Not sure if she is still getting mom's still or not......
Old 01-01-2011, 07:20 PM

i would have to check mom's but i think in ohio they have an expiration date. you have to reapply for it. good for five years , maybe seven?
Old 01-01-2011, 09:48 PM

Yeah, my dad has to renew his every so often. Sometimes, it seems like half the parking places around here are HC, so whoever posted about Ohio being high in HC passes is probably right. If you don't have one, you have to walk about a half mile. I don't know about other doctors, but mine won't give me one, and I have had three back surgeries, and have RA of the spine. But I guess because I can still walk upright he figures I don't need one. Sometimes by the time I walk from the parking lot to the store, I have to sit for ten minutes til my back feels better so I can get through the store. Go figure!!! Maybe when I go see him on Monday, I will walk all bent over, and shame him into it!! LOL
Old 01-01-2011, 09:54 PM

That really bugs me at work! We have a 5 storey parking garage and the ground floor is for visitors/customers ONLY. Well, there are about 5 people that work at my company that I always see coming and going to their cars on the ground floor.

Some people really do believe they are entitled to not follow the same rules as everyone else.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:58 PM

Please don't judge those that look healthy looking at me I look like a young vibrant healthy 38 yo woman I am a 38 yo disable woman I have a back injury and on a good day I don't wince on bad days you can tell. You it bugs me to no end the looks I get because my Dr gave me a permanent tag.

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
Originally Posted by quiltmom04
I get so upset at people who ignore the "No Parking - Fire Lane" painted along the sidewalks at the shopping center. Yesterday, some one parked there to go in to Starbucks! I almost said, "Doesn't the No Parking sign mean YOU?" Grrr!
-------------------------------------------------------------
AND the Handicapped parking. I absolutely despise the healthy people who park there, with or without Grandpa's parking pass hung on the mirror. And then they get out and trot to the store. When I get angry they merely shrug and say that it was the only close parking space there!! I've pushed my late DH's wheelchair half a block in pounding rain to get to a doctor's office, and in the sun and wind when he wanted to go to a special store, while younger healthy people parked near by in
the handicapped parking spaces.
Once when I was chewing a young man out a meter reader came along and asked if it was HIS parking pass. And he got an expensive ticket while several older people and I stood and almost cheered. I think the ticket at that time was about $170 or so, YEAH!!
Old 01-02-2011, 12:07 AM

No matter how "sure" you are about someone misusing a handicapped parking spot, you could still be wrong. One hot summer day, my husband, the kids, DML, and I went to the zoo. When we were leaving, the kids and I went ahead to open the car to let some of the heat out while he was pushing her in the wheelchair and she still wanted to stop in a gift shop. I also got some cold drinks from the cooler in the trunk. People were nasty because they did not see the handicapped person and felt we should not have been there. Thus, I always try to give people the benefit of the doubt now, although sometimes it is really hard.