Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Any Computer Virus Experts on Here!!?? >

Any Computer Virus Experts on Here!!??

Any Computer Virus Experts on Here!!??

Old 05-27-2010, 08:01 AM

I have bought the AVG for three years now. It grabs and quarantines viruses quick! No problem with it. And well worth the money! Sometimes company's say you have a virus just so they can sell you something. If you decide to buy the AVG, you will need to remove the old virus programs first them down load AVG. I also use Firefox as my browser. I will not run a computer with out theses two. My father in law was a computer builder for years... government...so I do what he says, LOL....works for me so far!
Old 05-27-2010, 09:16 AM

Our Office Depot advertises in the store that they will trouble shoot computers for free...don't know what they charge if they have to actually fix something, but if its something available with open domain software, it probably is free. They want your business for other stuff, and won't you be grateful enough to them that you will purchase something to make up for the free service??? HMMMM???

And actually, I believe I saw the same deal at Staples or Office Max. Of course if you live in the boonies, this should be good for a trip to town with a side of LQS or JAs. (always plan your visits with more than one purpose to conserve gas)
Old 05-27-2010, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Aurora
I sometimes get these little popups that say I have a virus. However I have McAfee so I do a manual scan and my computer is clean. I think it is just another scam.
It is! That's how I've gotten in trouble in the past! My husband (the computer guy) says that we are in a prime location for computer issues, malware, viruses, etc. because we are focused on quilting and likely don't have enough experience to recognize the wolf in sheep's clothing! I kind of have to agree! I'm glad that I have him to fix my issues!
Old 05-27-2010, 01:59 PM

I use Avast to remove virus - you have to download but its free for home computers - easy to work with and it stops alot of problems. You could give it a try and see if it will help. I would advise you not to e-mail anyone because you will give them the virus. Hope this works for you.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:10 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
I heard the same thingon Clark Howard, I think it might be called something like Malware? They put the ad on your computor, and it is **ll to get it off. They do want you to buy there protection, but I guess sometimes that doesnt even work! Hope your Hubby is doing okay!
If it pops on your screen and says you need to buy their product that is a virus. I have just battled two differant ones in the last 3 weeks. My daughter did the system restore when I got the first one and yesterday I had to do it again.

They pop up and tell you your being infected by an outside source and they are the ones infecting you. Don't click on anything other than to close out the window. The first time I had one after several days I clicked on the ok and it took over my whole comp. I couldn't even get access at all. This time I didn't do anything but close out windows.

I tried all the programs everyone suggested but the only thing that worked for me after getting the virus was to use the recovery. It blocked all the files I downloaded and it blocked my malware and spyware programs. I had just purchased Malwarebyte malware and I had a free version of Superspyware. I'm no geek but I am learning!!

I now have added Spy Doctor and TrendMetro. I hope this will keep me protected.'

Don't trust anything unless you downloaded the program from online.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:14 PM

If you have a Best Buy store near you. Take it in, the computr Geeks will look at it free. They are wonderful and can usually clear up anything, either free, or for a small fee.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by marsye
Originally Posted by sewcrafty
Have you run a virus scan? Or is it one of those programs that state you have a virus and want you to purchase their product? You might want to try to do a system restore and see if that'll work.

Otherwise, I have no more suggestions. :cry:

Good Luck!!
Thats what its telling me! It wants me to purchase their product............I will try a system restore when I get back home! Thanks!!
I haven't checked through the whole thread, but I've removed malware like this from hubby's computer about once per year. there is a fantastic message board (like this one, but for computer geeks)... http://www.majorgeek.com

They will walk you through what you have to do to clean your system. They also give pretty detailed instructions about what you need to tell them so they can help you. They have saved my data more than once!
Old 05-27-2010, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by marsye
Thanks for all the computer help and well wishes!

I just got hubs home! Hes asleep in his recliner. He was supposed to come home hours ago but he didn't wake up from the anesthesia very good so they kept him longer. Is that normal in some people? I gotta go find me a cup of coffee and put my feet up awhile.....while hes asleep!! ;-)

My laptop still needs a doctor. :lol:
Yes, probably normal (says me with no medical degree or training) ... anesthetic can affect people differently.
Old 05-27-2010, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by sahm4605
DON"T DO IT!!! don't run a scan if you get a pop up saying buy this to scan because you have a virus. that is one sure way to get infected!! I know because it has happened to me twice. My hubby used to work for the Gook Squad and he says not to click on pop up windows because of that. I would suggest down loading Mozilla firefox or google crome to run as your browswer for the internet. I have found less problems with them than Internet Explorer. I would manuely go into your computer and run a scan using your normal Virus protection.
The "Gook Squad"? Have you been taking lessons from Marsye?
Old 05-27-2010, 06:17 PM

I just got hubs home! Hes asleep in his recliner. He was supposed to come home hours ago but he didn't wake up from the anesthesia very good so they kept him longer. Is that normal in some people?
---------------------------------------------------------------
Yes, dear, sometimes that is normal. My son is a Respiratory Therapist,
and sometimes can not meet me for dinner because he has to sit with
some patient who can not wake up enough to discharge on time. Every
body is different from the norm in some way or other.

If they discharged him, then he should be well enough to go home.
Some folks, me included, are kinda "spaced out" after surgery for quite
a while, but okay if I don't do any driving for a day or so. I was never, ever
bothered with being unable to eat (sigh) and my loving husband said that
I had the soul of a gourmet, and the digestion of a goat!

Your hubby will let you know what he wants to eat or drink, and the hospital
should have given you a list of what he can or should have.