Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Anyone go to Weight Watchers? >

Anyone go to Weight Watchers?

Anyone go to Weight Watchers?

Old 01-20-2011, 05:08 AM

I have been on every one of their programs since the days of mandatory liver several times a week - The new Points Plus is the best especially if you are not a careful tracker - I have lost without thinking about it a lot this time. Fresh fruits and veggies are free which makes it easier to go out to functions.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:24 AM

I've been a member for 8 years this past Thanksgiving. I think it's a great way to learn and maintain a healthy lifestyle.
I started at 250, my goal is 160. I'm currently at 175. I don't follow the program most days, or I'd be at my goal a long time ago; but, I've maintained this weight give or take 5 lbs for the last 5 years.. with the way I like to eat , I'd say it's a success. I guess one day it'll become important enough for me to lose the other 15 , and I'll knuckle down. It's mostly the things you learn about healthy eating, and the support of the other people in the meetings... You know there's more than one person the feels the EXACT way you do ; you don't have to explain why you ,( I) feel compelled to eat every last Oreo in one sitting, they know.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:33 AM

I am a weight watcher and have been on the program since Oct 2009, I have lost 50 pounds and love it, the new pointsplus value is easy to follow and most fruits and veggies are free , I am working on becoming lifetime now so I don't have to pay anymore.. LOL
Old 01-20-2011, 06:42 AM
BMP

I am a Lifetime Member for over a year but, I must admitt I DO NOT like the new Points Plus program.
I continue to follow the momentum program. I have all the tools to follow and will not buy more updated ones again just because they changed their plan (marketing).
I also sub to WW site to do my tracking. They have a message board but the gals there can be very cruel and snarky I dont go there anymore.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:05 AM

I recently re-joined. I found the new program easier to follow, since it forces me to think about what I am eating. I now eat more fruits and veggies as these are free. At night I will now have a banana instead of a popsicle. At least it is healthier. I have lost 9.8 lbs in two weeks and hope to continue. I don't enjoy going to the meetings, but I need to check in with someone until I get it down pat. I will then try it on my own. If you have a "smartphone" there is a free app that is the points calculator. Love the app. I can check points on items before buying them.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:03 AM

Started WW in July, have lost 18 lbs. I really started dropping as I unconsciously started spreading out my intake during the work day. Example: yogurt soon after getting to work, banana maybe an hour later, Special K bar closer to lunch, lunch maybe a boiled egg and maybe a slice of bread with some pb on it, a slice or two of WASA bread close around 5 (I go to lunch around 1-1:30). For dinner, I just watched what I cooked and how much I ate and then maybe another yogurt or banana later in the evening. Gained about 2 1/2 lbs over holidays and have started losing that...slow to get back on program but it has helped to go to meetings (I'd stopped those also).
Old 01-20-2011, 09:22 AM

I started WW several months ago and have meetings here at work during the lunch hour which is convenient. Hardest part for me is the tracking which, of course, is one of the most important parts in order to lose weight (that and exercise.)
Old 01-20-2011, 10:13 AM

check out Dottis Weight Loss Zone for questions about points. She is a former WW who has branched out. She & husband Al do a sort of monthly newsletter, and they have calculated menus from hundreds of restaurants for points values. Pretty interesting site, great diet software to track weight & points, lots and lots of info.

good luck with the lifestyle change-I am in a blue funk right now about my weight, just have to take charge again, not something I do well.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:36 AM
Power Poster

Here is the new point formula if you don't have the calculator:
Old point system:
Points = (Calories / 50) + (Fat grams / 12) + min { Fiber grams, 4} / 5)

The "min" part means the number of grams of dietary fiber or 4, whichever is smaller.

Let's take an example:

McDonald's Big Mac (214g)

Points = 540 Calories / 50 + (29 Fat grams / 12) + 3 Fiber grams / 4)
Points = 10.8 + 2.42 + 0.75
Points = 13.97
Rounded Points = 14

Points Plus = (Protein / 10.9) +( Carbohydrates / 9.2) + (Fat / 3.9) + (Fiber / 35) (all amounts are in grams).

Big Mac:

Points Plus = 25/10.9 + 45/9.2 + 29/3.9 + 3/35
Points Plus = 2.29 + 4.89 + 7.44 + 0.09
Points Plus = 14.71

(It's described in intimate detail on the US Patent Database (#6,040,531).)
Old 01-20-2011, 12:38 PM

I do the on line program. It absolutely works if you follow it and don't go way into your "weekly" extra points. I like it because you can truly eat what you want as long as you track it in your points. No deprivation of things you love or crave, and it allows those weekend "party" eatings, as long as you track. Adding exercise on top of it leads to faster loss.