Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Anyone here with sleep apnea? >

Anyone here with sleep apnea?

Anyone here with sleep apnea?

Old 05-27-2011, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Treasureit
You guys are making me reconsider this Apnea thing. My cardiologist had be take an at home test with some mask thing that was so heavy on my face that it kept pulling my head down toward my chest and I would wake up choking. I guess sometime during the night I shut it off and they didn't get any results from the test. I refused to do it again...but I too wonder if I wouldn't have better health/sleep etc if I do need one. Maybe I will ask for a full study at a facility instead of that other thing.

I just don't think I could sleep with that mask..especially if it is anything like that thing I tried. Do you have to sleep on your back?
I almost never sleep on my back. My mask is very comfy. The sleep study at the overnight facility was not that big of a deal. Most of the technicians already had their own sleep study so they know what their patients are going through. Also it is good for your doc to prescribe a sleeping aid for that night. Go for it.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:14 AM

i have snored the last 30 yrs, since i put on weight. my Dr told me to graudally loose weight to where i was when i started snoring. ( i talked to a fellow that no longer has SA--he said he lost 300#, so must have been quite overweight) lost 18# in the past 7 mon. is slowly coming off. hope in the future.
when they checked meout i was waking 16/ hr on my side, but 40/hr on my back. my throat has a narrow passage...,. so it didn't take a lot to start snoring. it also runs in the family, which the Dr said is genetic...the fact of how your throat is shaped.
just barely got my machine this wk. its a Respironics brand and has the nasal pillows. i tried the cap that fits over the nose while they did the sleep test, but didn't care for it.
this has a nice flexible hose and doesn't seem to get in the way at night. its very quiet. they said plan on2 wk - 1 mon to get used to it, but haven't had any problem. loving it. i was so tired this last yr, especially. thought i slept very easily and sound!
they said that Medicare will buy you a new one every 5 yrs, so guess if they come out with new stuff, i can try an even better one then.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:25 PM

I have had the CPAP company come out with different masks and such and I've also gone there and tried them out. I just got my new mask tubing headgear etc. Medicare pays for a new one every 6 months, I don't usually get them that often as I'm not that hard on them, but I did need one now. My machine is an Everest Aeromed. I have the electric/battery operated one so that I can camp with it. I can get 3 nights out of it, but mine isn't set really high, I think it's about 7. And I didn't have classic apnea either, just low blood oxygen. I kind of want DH to go get checked as he snores, but haven't gotten around to making an appt for him, suppose I should, but he doesn't do the stop breathing thing so not sure if he's got true apnea.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:46 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by greenini
I have had the CPAP company come out with different masks and such and I've also gone there and tried them out. I just got my new mask tubing headgear etc. Medicare pays for a new one every 6 months, I don't usually get them that often as I'm not that hard on them, but I did need one now. My machine is an Everest Aeromed. I have the electric/battery operated one so that I can camp with it. I can get 3 nights out of it, but mine isn't set really high, I think it's about 7. And I didn't have classic apnea either, just low blood oxygen. I kind of want DH to go get checked as he snores, but haven't gotten around to making an appt for him, suppose I should, but he doesn't do the stop breathing thing so not sure if he's got true apnea.
I don't really stop breathing either, but I am classified as Critical Sleep Apnea because my oxygen levels go dangerously low. If there is a chance he has Sleep Apnea I would have him tested.
Old 05-27-2011, 02:43 PM

I called today and made my appt. Hadn't been since 2006. Guess I'm overdue. I really hope I can switch to the nasal pillows especially after reading about the hole in the cornea (still cringing over that - so sorry it happened).
Old 05-28-2011, 05:14 PM

I've had sleep apnea for several years. I snored previous, but after putting on forty five pounds after my son died apparently the snoring was unbearable. My machine kept my husband awake so now I sleep in the extra room. That is also my sewing room, so my supplies are in tight quarters. I would stop breathing about 76 times an hour. Hopefully I can take off the weight and maybe I won't need it anymore.
Old 05-28-2011, 05:19 PM

I was diagnosed about 4 years ago. Can't afford the machine. Plus I'm claustrophobic. When they had me use it during the sleep study, they turned it up to 22 with no gradual increase. This made me even more frantic with having something over my face. Also the pressure was so great that it made my lips blow open and I couldn't keep them shut. I've been using generic Ambien for over 5 years now. If I don't, I don't sleep. You have no idea how it affects you mentally when you can't sleep. It's horrible.
Old 05-28-2011, 05:25 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by clynns
I was diagnosed about 4 years ago. Can't afford the machine. Plus I'm claustrophobic. When they had me use it during the sleep study, they turned it up to 22 with no gradual increase. This made me even more frantic with having something over my face. Also the pressure was so great that it made my lips blow open and I couldn't keep them shut. I've been using generic Ambien for over 5 years now. If I don't, I don't sleep. You have no idea how it affects you mentally when you can't sleep. It's horrible.
There are a lot of new masks out that would help someone who is claustrophobic. There is no way that they should turn up a machine to 22 quickly. My machine is not set quite this high, but even at my level I cannot start out that high. It starts out at 3 or 4 and works up slowly to my pressure level.

If you need a level of 22, please discuss this with your doctor. It may be very dangerous for you to go untreated.

You could also check with the medical supply places in your area. I know that the one I use often has machines that have been turned back in. This could make it much more affordable. There would not be a problem having a used machine because you would purchase new tubing and a new mask. Just and idea...
Old 05-28-2011, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by lovelyl
I just returned from my sleep study! It was not as bad as I thought it would be. Thanks to those who responded to me and said they were praying for me! Turns out the nurse that did the study was a former kid from the youth group my husband and I worked with as youth leaders!!!!!!!!!!! We had a great visit and even though she couldn't give me any details, she did let me know that I do have sleep apnea. I go next week to the dr. to see what she wants me to do. Thanks for this thread - I've gained encouragement and lots of knowledge also. Hope the people on this thread, and especially the one who started it, have an easy time treating their SA! My prayers are with you all.
We're so proud of you for carrying through and happy, too, that your test was not as bad as you thought it would be. Just remember we continue to be here to support you and others.
Thanks for posting your update, Linda :)
Old 05-29-2011, 12:25 PM

You must mean "my life saver"! When the body does not get enough oxygen, many other problems can occur. Mine came in the form of TIAs (mini strokes). Your doctor can explain all of the possibilities. I wouldn't go without it. People who have mask issues should just keep trying until one works.