Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Anyone use a Keurig coffee machine?

It's all we use in our studio between my husband and I. We were always going to Starbucks or Caribou or McDonalds (such yummy mochas!). Compared to pot brew its not cheap, but compared to 5$ per at a coffee shop it's a steal. We've saved so much money!

I wish they had a recyclable container for the cups aside from the reusable filter, it is more packaging-waste than I'd like.

I love the Chai tea flavour, and their hot apple cider is great for those with sniffly noses and a cold.

It is also good for other things like......warming a baby bottle, just dispense into a bowl or large cup add bottle and let set 2-3 minutes, making oatmeal packets, tea..put teabag in cup and dispense... cocoa, put cocoa in cup and dispense then stir (use smaller cup size than your mug or it will run over, in cooking that calls for hot water because the temp is 192 deg. There is a make your own coffee filter by Solo that works better than the one that comes with the machine. You don't have to remove the inside holder to use it. You can buy online or at Bed, Bath and Beyond. I have 5 of them. You can also remove the cover of used Kcup wash it out and reload with fresh coffee. There are replacement lids you can buy online to recover the kcup and can use over and over. So it is sort of recycling the used kcup
    Last edited by craftygater; 11-27-2012 at 04:31 AM.

I've had one for 2 years and never had a problem with it. I bought it because I love flavored coffee and my husband hates it. the last time I made a pot of flavored coffee in our regular coffeepot I thought my husband was going to divorce me. He carried on for days about how his coffee now tasted like french vanilla even though it was days later. A month later I saw the Keurig, bought it, and we've been happily married ever since.

Having a cup now and love my Keurig!
    Always in Stitches,

So blessed in the opportunity of life, the gifts of nature, and the choice to do good to others. I'm thankful for this day.
    http://www.photographicendeavors.com

Mine is a Cusinart brand with the water tank on the side. I bought mine at Kohls
    Kathy Stewart from IA
    http://community.webshots.com/user/kath_stirut

I've used mine with loose tea. I've bought my tea at the Kitchen shop in the mall (they had a cinnamon/orange tea that was to die for) and also loose tea by Lipton at the grocery store.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tothill View Post
    DH got one for his birthday yesterday. We got the keurig,instead of the Tassimo, because they have Starbucks brand coffee. So far he is loving it, but drinking lots and lots of coffee. We will see if he sleeps tonight.

DD wants to try hot chocolate with it.

I am a tea snob and will not be using it for tea.
    Kathy Stewart from IA
    http://community.webshots.com/user/kath_stirut

We received on last year as a gift and hardly use it. DH drinks a lot of coffee but didn't care for the Kmachine with all the different brews and flavors available and I didn't like that it took up counter space next to Mr. Coffee. I'm planning to get DH a reusable Kcup as a little Christmas gift, he can make his regular coffee in the Kmachine as many times as he wants during the day and I can try whatever brew or flavor I like. I will also put Mr Coffee away to keep the counter from being so crowded, can take it out when we have company. Will keep in mind info about regrinding regular coffee to use in Kcup.

Like one other gal I used Mr. Coffee to make a pot of Dunkin Dunuts Hazletnut coffee when I had the gals over and DH complained forever about it. He's usually a great guy but don't mess with his coffee, LOL! May in Jersey
    Last edited by May in Jersey; 11-27-2012 at 07:23 AM.

We loved our Keurig until the day it just died on us!

Love, love Keurig pots. Hubby plumbed one into our house so we never have to fill the reservoir.

Blog Entries
    Seems to me using the reusable filter is defeating the purpose of having the maker. Just put in a cup and toss it out. Over and done with. No mess. I called customer service to ask about problems with the maker. I was told to be sure and register the maker and that will result in faster service if the maker breaks down. The rep doesn't have to get permission to replace if the maker is registered.
    Got fabric?

Yes, I've had one for a couple years and we both love it. K-Cups are a bit pricey. So far, the cheapest place we've found them is at Bed, Bath, and Beyond - with a 20% discount. If anyone knows a cheaper place, please let me know.

Love, Love, Love my Keurig. Did I mention I love it?!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LoisM View Post
    I've had one for about a year and I love it. I use each little K-cup twice and it still tastes good to me.
    dDitto on the 2nd cup. DH makes a big cup for himself, and I make a half cup from the same Kcup. Works for me!

Blog Entries
    I love Keurig as well . . with reservations. The electronics doesn't seem to hold up well. If you are lucky it will fail before the warranty expires. Otherwise, "Sorry about that" is all you get. We live in the boonies and have issues with power outages and surges at times. That doesn't help. SO, recommend putting your Keurig on a surge protector.
    Water quality has been mentioned. Along with the expense of the pot (and replacement pot a little over a year later . . no longer under warranty!), we had to install an expensive water purifier to attach to the kitchen faucet.
    I also don't find the "fill your own" (though consumer research says Solo works best) very satisfactory. What bothers me most is the expense of the thing and the number of K cups DH and I have already sent to the landfill. Thanks to those who recommend using twice. I will try that. I don't like my coffee as strong as DH does which is the reason Keuring is the coffeemaker of choice for us for now. BUT I will be looking at the imitators that will surely be coming onto the market and will likely try one of them WHEN this Keurig fails.
    Holli
    Your Favorite (Retired) School Librarian

Today I bent the truth to be kind, and I have no regret, For I am far surer of what is kind than I am of what is true.

Power Poster
    I have had one for about a year and I only use it for hot chocolate. I do not care for the coffee that it makes...It is very expensive for just hot chocolate. I would not buy one again knowing what I know now.

We have a Keurig for about a year. We like some of the coffee's but have found them way to expensive. So we use the machine just to heat the water as my husband drinks instant coffee, I drink tea and my mother drinks hot chocolate, tea and coffee. So when we need hot water it's always available

My husband and I love our Keurig which we have had for well over a year now and no problems to report. We both also bought one for each of our respective work offices as well. My parents also love theirs.......my sister and brother-in-law love theirs......my mother-in-law loves hers. Out of my family with 6 total Keurigs we have not had any issues with them.
    Tracy

We had the same problem that Debbie C did. Bought the top of the line for the house and loved it so much that my DH bought another one for the office. Thirteen months later the one at home died...two months after that the one at the office bit the dust. Keurig offered us NO help or support. DH got online and read the customer comments...lots and lots of people were very upset because they had the same problem. We went back to the old standby...drip coffee pot.
    Peace by Piece
    Diane

Although it makes a pretty good cup of coffee I hate all the plastic waste! Here in Canada the coffee is expensive. I guess if you only drink one cup of coffee at a time it would be ok. My husband and I manage to drink a pot of coffee every morning with very little waste.

My first Keurig Special Edition was almost two years old when it went out. I called the Keurig help line to see if there was something I could do to get it going again but even with their help it was a goner. They sent me a brand new one. That one lasted about five months and again Keurig sent me a new one which has been going strong for almost two years. You just can't beat their customer service. We got one in the first place because I like my coffee strong and my MIL likes her coffee weak and neither of us was happy with the compromise. I buy my K-cups at Costco, 80 for 24.99. I was buying from Amazon but their prices have gone up so much that I started searching for a better deal.

I do and love it. Have had one for almost three years now. Well had a Keurig but Cruisant at the PX. Gave my Keurig to my son.

If you go to keurig.com and buy from there you can get free shipping and earn points to buy stuff at a much cheaper price.

In the stores they have a 12 or 18 kcup per box and you can go to the website and buy the 24 kcup per box for less money or about the same amount as the 18 kcup per box.

I just bought a boat load from there as a member with my 15% automatically off, plus 1 sample (5) for every six boxes I buy and also got an additional 20% off for Black Friday which ended Monday of this week. With what I ordered I saved myself $72.00.

You may want to check it out. Also be sure to register your unit so if you have a problem it will be guaranteed. They are good about replacing them if something goes wrong with it.
    clsurz

Blog Entries
    I signed up for auto shipping at Keurig site. It's cheaper then buying the boxes locally.
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    I have one and use it for hot water for herbal tea. It is wonderful for company that drink coffee. Didn't think I would like it when it was given to me. The hot chocolate is really good. The selection of tea isn't is very good but the water is hot enough for tea bags.
    Quilting in the Desert

I was curious about he new Mr Coffee fr Kcups. On sale at Walmart for $79. Not sure I want to mess with either Kuerig or Mr Coffee if the pits hit the bricks soon after ....sad to spend the $$$ on an applian e that does not hold up.
    SAndy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome Decor 3050 / Janome 1100D serger
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Buy it at Bed Bath and beyond. He bought a Tassimo and 5years later he had trouble with it . Customer service was not helpful so he took it back to Bb and Beyond. They gave him a new one. Worth a try.
    A time to tear, And a time to sew;
    A time to keep silence, And a time to speak;

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3