Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • April 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize! >
  • April 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize!

• April 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize!

Old 04-22-2012, 02:03 PM

Beautiful quilt Irish!!! I love bright cheery quilts!!!

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!
    Old 04-22-2012, 04:34 PM
    Power Poster

Irishrose, your quilt is stunning.

Well, still hanging in. I have lost a few pounds. Right now, I am struggling to not sink into depression....somehow gets worse close to my monthly! Grrrrr. Occassionally falling off the wagon as far as drinking sodas, but still seeing benefits d/t greatly reducing them. Continuing to wish everyone looses big time!!!!
    Old 04-22-2012, 06:13 PM

Oh Irishrose, that is BEAUTIFUL! What a wonderful accomplishment having it done! They will love it. How goes it on the dress?

The Lakers won in double overtime! What a game! They were behind at one point by 17 pts & rallied for the win- very exciting!

Flat Stanley had quite a day today. I got his picture at Staples Center with the court in the background, then across the street with my son holding him & Staples in the background. There were some USC football players there doing something for Earth Day so they held him & I got his picture with them. On the way home we tried to get him & the Hollywood sign but it was too cloudy. I did get his picture with some stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. I got him with Art Linkletter, William S. Hart, Guy Lombardo & John Belushi. Tomorrow I am taking him to my friend's to get him floating in the pool on a raft then over to the mall to get him with a bronze statue of a California Brown Bear. He is going to have a very busy week! Our friends are camping at the beach later this week (we would usually be there but my husband is out of town) so Flat Stanley & I are going up to stay for a night & I & I will get some shots of him at the beach. I also want to get his picture in front of the elementary school my kids went too. He will be worn out when I send him back to Ohio!

I may just come out to your guild's show Gayle. Nothing on the books for me so far those days & it's only an hour from here.
    Old 04-22-2012, 06:41 PM

Welcome Momma K - waving from North Dakota. Yes, this is a great group of ladies. Sometimes we tend to be a bit crazy, but that is what makes it worth coming to talk to us. We all have used and abused foods and are now working to eat better and feel better.

Have been sewing bindings all day. My finger is very sore, but only have a couple feet left to finish. WOW, I can't believe I have finished 3 UFO's this month. Of course, I think I found 5 - 7 more when I was organizing fabrics downstairs. Life.....

Irish, that quilt is wonderful. All the bright colors that I love. You could misplace it and send it to ND instead. I won't say a thing.

Maggiemay, what fun for Flat Stanley and for you. Sometimes it takes something like that to do some of the things that we wouldn't normally do. Go for it.

Gayle, hope you had a good weekend. Hope you can get to the quilt show.

Work in the morning so planning on getting to bed soon in case Mom is up lots during the night. DH is going out of town again tomorrow and he's at the office right now getting files ready. The wood turners had a 3 day workshop this weekend and I bought him a certificate to go to the national convention in San Jose in June. Figured he needs to get away for fun soon as he will be out of town from now until fall.

Have a great evening ladies.
    Old 04-22-2012, 08:38 PM

Irishrose, I love your quilt. I always like the piano key border. I've never done one, but someday I will.
    I got the border sewn onto one of my quilts. Now it needs the handstitching. That takes me forever! I got part of it done while we talked on skype with my son in Korea. We also got to talk to his Chinese girlfriend for the first time. She sounds so cheerful. I can't wait to meet her in person. She hopes to come to the USA at Christmastime but she said it is very hard to get a visa. I said maybe if she married Brad it would be easier. She just giggled and said maybe that would make it easier.
    I also got my step 2 all cut out for my mystery quilt. Maybe tomorrow I will get to do more sewing. I have a knitting group I meet with on Monday mornings.
    Time to jog in place to try to get closer to my 10,000 steps today. I have 23 minutes to get in 4300 steps. I don't think it is possible.
    Old 04-22-2012, 09:05 PM

i finally had to call in my resident techie to look at my s.m. doggone bobbin case was not lining up and i think my impatience was making it worse. i was so disgusted i went into the t.v. room to pout and fell asleep in front of the t.v. sorry, guys! anybody going to be up all night, other than me? have some final stitches to do on 3 swaps, so can't sleep all the time.
    welcome momma k! fibro, depression and stagnant living are my life, too. if i'm not sleeping i'm looking for food. or stuff on-line, or have chained myself to the sewing machine! familiar story!
    Old 04-22-2012, 09:10 PM

Wow! I almost got all my steps in - 9858. The clock on my pedometer is 4 minutes slow so I had a little extra time before it turned over to monday. I was really bookin' it!
    Old 04-22-2012, 09:31 PM

pam, i'm impressed! your sneakers must have melted!!
    Old 04-22-2012, 09:39 PM

Thumbs up

I had a picture of the Roadrunner being chased by Wile E coyote when you mentioned 4300 steps in 23 minutes. Thank you for the smile.

Di, I can't divert the quilt. It has been delivered to the bride and will be on its way to North Carolina in a few days. It was on Facebook before I drove 3 miles home. The top was made a year ago and when I was FMQed it, I found several corners that shouldn't have been left. How much we learn in a year! I added another row of blocks and the borders this week. I though it was too small for two people last July. It isn't now, LOL. I love the Moda Marble Swirls - such pretty colors.

MaggieMay, you've done a great job of taking Flat Stanley on a variety of adventures. I remember most of ours only having one picture with each host. The dress is waiting until the bodice reaches Albuquerque and I see who is correct. The store sold her a size 14 pattern I cut an 8 with a 10 waist, which may be too big. I hope M calls tomorrow.

Gayle, your quilt show is a few weeks away. You'll be better with transferring yourself from your chair to the car seat. 1) Surgery takes a lot out of you - it isn't 'minor' if you're put under whether it's outpatient or not and 2) you're using arm muscles you don't normally use - they will be stronger by the quilt show. Be sure to elevate the foot in the car and in the chair as much as possible. I went on a 'retreat' with my husband and several other couples. My friends took me for a walk outside while the football game kept the guys busy. As we were on a lake front, it was mostly downhill. I reminded them that they'd have to push me back up. "Nah, your car has a trailer hitch on it. We'll just park you along the road and get your car to pull you back to the cabin."

Pam, you got a lot done. If I did my borders by hand I'd never finish. My oldest grandson married a Chinese girl - one of his English students. She has her citizenship papers now. She was here on a visa for college art classes. It's cute. J teaches her English and she assistant teaches in an American school in which the fourth graders speak only Chinese.

Allicat - depression with periods? Magnesium does wonders - safe, can't overdose and worth a try. I like Magnesium Malate, but there are lots of others.

Pam, that was my first piano key border, heck, I have a lot of firsts because I am a new quilter. I have another pk on the machine now. I did them in strips and cut them, so it was easy. I like the mitered corners - it takes away the what do with the stripes question. My last border was 100 flying geese. Piano keys are quick compared with that.

When do you want to another quilting day? Thank you, nancia.

I have a block that has to be in the mail tomorrow and the fabric is in the washer, so it's goodnight, y'all. I'll straighten the cutting table while it dries.

I am losing weight and getting healthier.

Edit; Wow, Pam.

Nancia, is the machine fixed? I hate machine problems. I'm up to ten, so I can rotate if one goes down.

Last edited by irishrose; 04-22-2012 at 09:45 PM.
    Old 04-22-2012, 10:25 PM

yes, judy. my dh fixed it. he's so handy to have around! (and he's cute, too!) i have a couple others, but tend to focus on whichever one i'm using as if i only had that one. oooops, i'd better make that clearer...i only have 1 dh! the multiples are sewing machines. lol. i have to see if i can fix my ancient kenmore. i suspect it just needs cleaning, but don't tell dh, since i bought a new machine because that one was 'broken'. i wasn't being quite as bad as that sounds. i had a real time crunch and just couldn't afford to dilly dally trying to get the old one up and running. things are not so hectic now, and of course, the singer and the fw are both working.