Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
April 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize! >

April 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize!

April 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize!

Old 04-05-2012, 07:46 PM

Where are my manners?? Congratulations, blondeslave. That is a impressive weight loss. Someday you'll have to tell us about your 'name' on here. Blonde I understand, but a slave??

I have two white painted boards 1" by 4" by 7' 4". I hope they are big enough. The 1 by 6s and the 2 by 6s seemed too heavy for my old hands and my fragile back. When the young man with shoulder length blond curls found out they were for quilting, he carefully found the best end and cut off the other. He still has the quilt his grandmother made him when he an infant - don't think what you do isn't remembered. Makes me wish I'd started quilting years ago instead of months ago. The boards fit in the car with room to spare. Those others the stuck out of the car were 2" by 10" by 10'.

I just had an interesting phone call. Monday evening a man got lost in the woods behind my house and the police took over an hour to find him and only by triangulating his cell phone. He was found on his knees in a swampy section. My ex-husband heard on his scanner that another one lost today. He called to tell me not to go in the woods anymore. Uh, I reminded him that he couldn't tell me what to do when we were married, so why would I listen now. I can't live my life that way. I like the woods and so do Cheech and Chong. He's not very happy, but that's his problem, not mine. I didn't tell him, but I could start carrying my cellphone.

Gayle, if your cast is the knee high black one with lots of velcro straps, I hate that thing. I tried on two different ones owned by two different daughters and tore them right back off. My doctor does an old fashioned hard cast for me. The fiberglas ones aren't too heavy and walk quite normally, though with the last two, I had to keep my weight on my heel - the front of the foot was the surgical site each time. It's still tiring being off balance and moving the extra weight with each step. I truly do feel for you.

Everose, I haven't been grocery shopping in quite a while. I will pick up some c veggies tomorrow.

I had a yummy chicken quesadilla for dinner so I am going to use some of the energy and do some laundry and quilt. Good night.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:51 PM

I am known as the blondeslave in the basset hound rescue community. Basset hounds do not have owners-they have slaves and I am, well, blonde. Trust me when I tell you my 4 hounds have high expectations for service. Most of the sewing/quilting I do goes for donations to basset hound rescue. Queen Xandy Bear who we just discovered is diabetic was Queen of the Michigan Basset Waddle last year. She rode in a horse drawn carraige-you can't make this stuff up. A couple of years ago she was Grand Marshall of the Waddle in NJ-rode on the back of a convertible. XB happens to be from a highly respected breeder but the other 3 hounds, Huggie Bear, wee Gracie Allen and Clyde Kadiddlehopper are all from rescue. Until 2 years ago in May we had 3 "Bears" before my old man Moosie Bear left us for the Bridge. I was going to try and attach a picture of one of the giant quilted, stuffed hounds I make to donate each year but can't figure out how to attach a photo. They are part of the Pwincess(not a typo) Xandy Bear Collection and I only make a couple each year for rescue. I guess I'll have to change the name for her royal hineyness now.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:29 AM

Blondslave congratulations on your great loss. I looked up the stuffed basset hound on google and they are adorable. Where ever did you get that pattern? Did you design it yourself?
I am cooking Easter dinner. We are having ham but I'm not sure what else yet. I am going grocery shopping shortly and I will decide then. I am hoping to stay out of the Easter candy. I attacked the Reeces pieces last night. I just love them. I put the bag in my sons lunch today to get them out of the house. I also need to clean the house for company. I have been working at my parents house the last couple of days. I painted and scraped their front porch and posts. Painted the shed and fixed the plumbing under the kitchen sink. My dad will be 88 in a few weeks and can't do it anymore. Now I need to get some things done around here. I was going to paint 2 bathrooms and the garage while I was on spring break. I guess that isn't going to happen anymore. Maybe Monday. I haven't been getting much quilting done since I have just finished altering 4 bridesmaids dresses and making matching pocket squares for the tuxes. At least it does pay. Not my favorite thing to do.
Everyone eat healthy on Easter.
Pat
Old 04-06-2012, 04:49 AM

The pattern for the hounds is a vintage Vogue pattern I found on Ebay a few years ago. I love the pattern except for the nose. I don't think I've ever attached the nose the same way twice. I suspect the instructions are incorrect. It doesn't help that the nose and ears are usually either mini wale corduroy or (shudder) minky.
Old 04-06-2012, 05:32 AM

I have been spending most of my time with my friend whose hubby died. This morning I am home doing some laundry and baking banana bread (for her). I'll be back over there later this afternoon to take care of her kitchen while she has a big open house for all the out of towners coming for the memorial service tomorrow.
Tomorrow afternoon we will drive to Madison to see my daughter. Her hubby is on call. We will eat an Easter buffet. I'm sure there will be all kinds of temptations. My youngest daughter (25) is expecting Easter candy. Maybe I should give her money and let her buy it. I don't know when I would have time to buy any.
I have not been keeping track of my food but I don't think I have gained. It's hard to tell since I went from my Texas scales to my WI ones. Next week I will make to a WW meeting and get into an exercise routine. I am inheriting a recumbent exercise bike so that will help.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:00 AM
Power Poster

Irishrose, i tried the Lyrica once, but even on the lowest dose, i walked like a drunk and my head was foggy. same result with Neurontin. Nothing else has seemed effective. Anyway, i found a place for water aerobics, but they want me to pay membership fees for the entire facility dispite the fact that i can only utilize the pool for water aerobics. gonna keep trying....
Old 04-06-2012, 08:47 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by createfourpaws View Post
I am making a execption this month. Lessinmydress signed up on the March thread, I sent her a PM to have her post on this thread. I want to include her in this month.

To the new ladies who are joining. Welcome and good luck on your journey of weight loss. Please send me a PM for my mailing address so you can send in your FQ for the month.

I should be around more this month, not much overtime now. I don't think I will be doing that much again. I am paying for it now. My body can't handle that much. I have been down for a few days, not able to do much.
mailed my FQ's today with tracking number. post office attendee states it should be there on Monday. Waco to Dallas is not long of a trip!!!
Old 04-06-2012, 12:40 PM

I finally mailed my FQ today. I was so proud of myself, I had it ready to mail over a week ago. I was going to mail it early. WELL--- I have been carrying it around in my purse for a week because I keep forgetting to mail it.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:30 PM

Hi everyone this is my first time on this weight loss thing I decided I should join to see if it will help me stay on my diet. I too am a sugar addict I am also diabetic but really have a hard time giving up the sweets. So far I have not bought any Easter candy because I know I would eat all of it myself. I have congestive heart failure and my doc has restricted my liquid intake to 44 ounces it was 32 ounces I have found that since I have finally gave up the diet soda will really cut back to 1 a week it has been easier to stick to my diet. I eat or drink a vegan breakfast and lunch my daughter in law provides my dinner so I eat whatever she serves, sometimes my dog gets a big portion and I go to fridge and get out the veggies but let me tell you it is not easy for me but since my heart stopped 3 weeks ago I decided if I want to live I had better shed some of this weight and take the burden off my heart. I take insulin so it is hard to shed the pounds but I can't blame all my weight on that. My goal is to loose 5 lbs this month not a lot but a start I wish everyone good luck on their weight goals
Old 04-06-2012, 08:17 PM

Hi all, Congrats Blondeslave!
I found out this week Medicare now pays for nutritional counseling w/Dr. if BMI over 30. Mine is and I asked Dr. for help. I've slowed down again after good start in Feb. and I hope to see what I need to do to get more weight off. I've lost my wt 2 times w/WW and now I'm on low carb plan that's difficult with how I used WW pts. Dr. says he is seeing signs I may have thyroid problem that could be preventing me from losing wt. faster.
Hope everyone has a wonderfully peaceful and blessed holiday w/o sugar!