Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
April 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize! >

April 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize!

April 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize!

Old 04-03-2012, 08:32 AM

meanmom, when I was on the workplace wellness committee for the entire school system, we arranged for health exams for the staff. When the nurse wrote down I was obese at 5' 8" and 170 pounds, I choked. I knew I was overweight, but the next word bothered me. She explained she had measured more of my bones than usual and because I was definitely small boned, I was obese. I have lost 2 1/2" in height to osteoporosis, so, no, 146 isn't too small a weight. When my ribbon on the fridge fits, then I will be at the right weight. I'm thinking 138. That was a perfect weight when I was taller and I'll give myself a little leeway for old age. If I lose more, I may get wrinkly. The ribbon is half my height (32 1/2") - a far cry from the 21" waist I had as a teenager and a young mother. When my weight crept up to 201, it was a wake up. I got down to 165 okay, but it's been tough going since then. The funny part is I had to fight to keep my weight up to 120 most of my life, but nothing in life is constant except change, so what is, is.

alikat, chomium picolate helps stabilize blood sugar, too. That one is a win-win.

Nanci, I envy you your pool as long as you have someone to do the maintenence. It can be a lot of work. I can't go in one unless it is cleaned by oxygen. I'm allergic to both choline and bromine which was hard to take because I was addicted to aqua aerobics in the late 80s. Now I'd have to wear pantyhose with my bathing suit, LOL.

Jean, do you have a class or do you do your own aqua aerobics? I still miss it. I agree low carb is the way to go for anyone with sugar problems. Having celiac disease helps. I won't spend the money for gluten free baked products and I can choose when to make my own. My trouble comes with choosing how much to eat when I do make something. I can portion and freeze anything except blonde brownies.

Fibromyalgia is a sneaky, insidious disease. I was diagnosed in 1983. Lupus in 1977, RA in 1964, etc, etc. I have managed by taking supplements, not meds, though last year I did add Lyrica when I developed nerve damage in my back and left foot. It has helped a little with the fibro to the point where I may try to increase the dose, though the small amount I'm on made me dizzy for a long time. I still haven't ridden my bike for that reason. A stationary bike is good exercise if you can stand the lack of scenery change - I can't, so I gave away my Schwinn Airdyne that I used for part of my PT after my foot surgeries.

MJ (Purplemen) says to not have a plan is to plan to fail. My plan for today is because it's Tuesday and my oldest daughter and I go to dinner, I will have a light brunch, a healthy dinner (well, the one I'm thinking of has cheese on top so that's debatable) and a hot chocolate for night snack. Some fruit in there somewhere.

My other plan is to clean up some of my quilting mess because my tutoree has switched to Tuesday, so I'll catch you later. I have to hide the red quilt because it's for that daughter (I have four).

I AM losing weight and getting healthier.

Last edited by irishrose; 04-03-2012 at 08:38 AM.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:47 PM

Count me in
Old 04-03-2012, 06:15 PM

Just a quick note to share something that showed up in my email.

http://www.beliefnet.com/Health/Tips-to-Stop-Overeating.aspx?
source=NEWSLETTER&nlsource=48&ppc=&utm_campaign=DIBPresents&utm_source=NL&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_term=yahoo.com
Old 04-03-2012, 09:25 PM

WOW I can't believe it is already the 4th of the month. I hope to be around more this month, work is slowing down so not much overtime will be available until it all picks up again.

I will be announing the March winner very soon. I only got a few emails, so I will go on what I have received so far.

If you are new first time joining us in our adventure, please send me a PM for the address to mail your FQ to me.

Good luck everyone and welcome new comers and our returning ladies.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:13 PM

I am also a sugar addict. I highly doubt I would have a weight problem if it weren't for sugar.
Welcome to our new people!
Judy, I'm glad you decided to stay!
My husband got an email on sunday while we were out for lunch. The husband of my very dear friend in WI passed away. We went home, packed, cleaned and loaded the car. We were on the road within 4 hours of hearing the news. It was the quickest trip we have made between Texas and WI. We did spend the night in OK City. I spent most of today with my friend. She is having a very rough time. Tomorrow I will help her clean and get her house ready for guests.
My allergies are already bothering me. Guess I shouldn't have spent time this afternoon blowing leaves off my garden.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:58 AM

darn i missed it by a day ....sigh
Old 04-04-2012, 07:00 PM

joejoe31, I'll pm createfourpaws, but I think you can join if you are willing to start your weight from today - Wednesday. You only missed it by less than 12 hours.

Hi, Cindy. I'm glad you are able to handle those hours, but we miss you.

Glad you're back, buslady.

Pam, my condolences to you and your friend. You are a wonderful friend to do this for her. A sister from another mother, maybe??

Went out and about today. I was overcharged at JoAnn's and it's a hundred mile round trip. I always check my receipt in the car, but I had a terrible back spasm just then and when it was over, I drove away. JoAnn's is always sticker shock so I didn't question it inside. I'll be on the phone in the morning. I do have to go back to Traverse City on th 25th so I'll get it corrrected then.

I had a nice meal at Trevino's on the Bear golf course, so now the trick is remembering I've eaten between now and bedtime. Sometimes if I don't cook the food, I don't feel like I've had any. Remember, I have no appestat so I never feel full.

I want to get back on more normal hours now that nice weather is here. Right now, I'm tired enough that I could go to bed at a decent time instead of 3:30 am.

Has anyone tried the Sharon Schamber method of sandwiching a quilt? I'm having a temper tantrum and want to find a different way of doing it. It would be nice to be able to do one at home. I did one on the floor, but I don't think that's a viable possibility any more. Getting long boards home from Home Depot will be a trip but I've done it before. One more block to assemble on the expansion of the Jewel Box, then it's crunch time. Between this and the red one, I need a vacation fron HSTs.

I am losing weight and getting healthier.
Judy
Old 04-04-2012, 09:34 PM

Please let us know how the S. Schamber method works. I'm intrigued and wondering how I'll get the boards home too!
Irishrose - I had PT design a therapy pool workout for me. When I get stronger I'll do the SilverSneakers water aerobics classes but not there yet. Dr is checking for problem with thyroid. I've got some signs there might be a problem.
I went to a retreat last weekend and donated a crocheted afghan I'd made for our scholarship fund for next years retreat. Then we played bingo for the donated items and I won my afghan! I think I was the most surprised of all attending. I'm still chuckling over it!
Food went really well and I'm following my plan. This week I'm focusing on using more carrots - I think Easter creates a carrot craving. Go figure - everyone talks about chocolate but I think carrots. I don't eat chocolate anymore. Easier to abstain than to limit amounts.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:12 PM

I brought home pressure treated boards to make a handicapped dog a ramp with them sticking out the passenger side window. I was very concerned about the mailboxes on the route I chose. I think 7 feet will be enough for the big lap quilts I make, so I will have boards cut at Home Depot, then place them diagonally across the car with one end out the window. I wonder how long the ones for the ramp were? I still have them, but that wood is too heavy to work with for me. I know they were more than 8 feet so I should be okay this time. Of course, I had access to a huge diesel truck all weekend and never thought about going to HD. I found an alternate site for pinning a quilt today, but I rather like the idea of not having to take it anywhere.

I bought some weird batting today. Recycled cotton and recycled polyester (70/30) by Pellon. I'm very curious about it. Website says 1/4" and the package says 1/8" thick. I don't want 1/8" so I guess I need to carefully open it.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:10 AM

if i google sharon shamburg will i find her method for sandwiching, etc.? i use spray basting. VERY easy, holds and is repositional(some). i do small quilts on a table with vinyl tablecloth. larger quilts i do in sections. so far no problems, can't use it with poly-fil batting. i tried the iron-on batting and it melted in some places and became crinkly, and didn't hold in other places and was puffy. of course, i was very young at the time and new to quilting. it was in november. yes, 2011.