Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
April 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize! >

April 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize!

April 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize!

Old 04-05-2012, 07:02 AM

Anyone who still wants to sign up for this month has until 9 pm cst tonight to sign up. We seem to be losing people and want as many as we can.

Come one and all and join us.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:09 AM

the winner for March is blondeslave congrats.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:48 AM

I am making a execption this month. Lessinmydress signed up on the March thread, I sent her a PM to have her post on this thread. I want to include her in this month.

To the new ladies who are joining. Welcome and good luck on your journey of weight loss. Please send me a PM for my mailing address so you can send in your FQ for the month.

I should be around more this month, not much overtime now. I don't think I will be doing that much again. I am paying for it now. My body can't handle that much. I have been down for a few days, not able to do much.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:51 AM

Hi All, I am just back from a hectic few weeks. First, I went away to FL with my husband for business & to see family. Just got back from spending 5 nights camping at the beach here with a big group of friends. I am pretty much home in April. It is so much easier for me to stay on track at home.

I lost 4 lb in March. I didn't think that warranted a PM to Cindy! My goal in March was to track my eating & calories & I accomplished that. Not every day, but close. My goals in April are more exercise & more water. Pretty much a "back to basics" approach.

I've never used S. Shamber's basting method, but it always interested me. I wonder why you couldn't use her method with pin basting instead of thread basting. I am not much of a hand sewer so I would rather pin than thread baste. I am a spray baster. I know it is not for everyone, but I have great luck with it. Hope you get those boards home ok Judy!

Gayle, How is it going in that cast? Hope these next few weeks before your surgery are not as pain filled as the last few have been.

Interesting reading everyone's comments about sugar addiction. I don't think I am a sugar addict, but I do love carbs- is that the same thing because they are metabolized the same way? I know that when I cut down on the white carbs & eat the whole grains weight loss is better

I am bringing an appetizer (among other things) to Easter Dinner this year. I am bringing a veggie platter, so that should cover this week's taboo for me.

Welcome to all of the new people who joined us this month & welcome to those who are retuning!
Old 04-05-2012, 09:29 AM

What a pretty picture, Cindy. I'm glad you can take it easier. Our bodies take a hit with any surgery and need time to recuperate. Have you started your purple quilt?

Now I have to try the boards to satisfy the curiousity of y'all. It WILL be pinned. I don't do any hand sewing. 1)Having arthritis and 2) being impatient make that something that doesn't appeal to me. I'm one of those terrible people who put binding on by machine. I sew it to the front, wrap it and SITD from the front. Nothing shows on the front and only a line of stitching in matching thread shows on the back. Works for me. If I made the quilt by hand, then I would do the binding by hand but that's not a lkely possibility. I did do some Log Cabin wallhangings by hand just to keep me in my seat at lunchtime when I was working, but that's been my only experience with hand quilting.

Maggie, I sometimes think I'd like to rent a motor home and take the dogs camping. Then I come to my senses. I live a mile from one of Michigan's favored state parks and can walk there and back then sleep in my own bed. I do like visiting friends or family for the evening campfire. I have fond and some funny memories of camping, but I had a husband and five children to help with chores and I could walk on rough ground then. I taught camping skills to Girl Scout leaders and my son was a Boy Scout. How did I he and I manage to set up a tent with the opening facing uphill? I awoke in a huge puddle when a thunderstorm passed through.

Goal for April - that same as March - lose those same 2 1/2 pounds. March weight loss was 0. How to do it? Control my snacking by eating regular meals. Control my chocolate - yes, nancia, I'm still 'good'. Had a few extra last night but not too many considering I spent the day with my stressor, but that's the first time is a few weeks which is a record for me.

Okay, off to get my boards and see about getting the deer damage to my car fixed. Have a great day, everyone.

I am losing weight and getting healthier.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:59 AM
mim

I'm here for April -- I didn't do well in March so I need to see how you are all doing to give me a shove
Mim
Old 04-05-2012, 11:08 AM

Hi all. I am looking forward to April. I will loose weight. My goal will be to excercise more. I am an all or nothing person so I just have to keep the chocolate and cake out of the house. I don't buy chips any more. You remember the old ad, "you can't eat just one". Fits me to a T. I am trying to eat on a regular schedule, and limit myself to one helping. Some days are better than others. "out of sight, out of mind" works for me. I just have to spend my time sewing, I know that when I am bored, I am eating. It is great to have a cheering squad. thank you all.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:40 AM

Greetings ladies!!!

Don't normally leave Mom when she is napping, but today I went outside and walked around the block. Decided that I could do it in a few minutes and before she decided to get up I would be back. So I will start getting a little more exercise.

Congratulations to our winner!!! The rest of us losers are right behind you.

Can remember when I joined OA, and the next day found out I was pregnant with our daughter. Knew I would be gaining weight and sure didn't want to. I am almost down to the point where I was when I delivered her.

Read where we need more cruciserous (think that is how it is spelled) veggies. They are brocolli, cauliflower, cabbage and radishes. We are to eat them as snacks between meals. So I have been eating them quite often.

Mim, here is your first "shove". Don't try to give up all things. Cut back and DRINK lots of water. I cut out my diet pepsi (yes, I still miss it), but have been telling both Mom and Dad that they need to drink more water so I decided that I better be the role model. Decide how many swallows you are going to have (I take 10 large ones) every time you drink water. You would be surprised how much more water you drink, by counting.

Irish, glad you are with us. We need your guidance and every one else who writes on this thread. Challenging everyone to write at least once a day - it helps put things down.

Take care - have a good day - treat yourself the respect we give to others.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:56 AM

The purple quilt is on the cutting table. I still have more to iron before i finish cutting it and start sewing.

I am finishing up the t-shirt quilt from the class I took so after the purple quilt is done I can start on that one.

I came through all the bad weather yesterday, there were about 12 tornados around us. none of it hit close to home for us. The truck stop that had the trucks thrown around is about 15 miles from me.

Thanks for the complement. That pic was taken about 10 days ago
Old 04-05-2012, 02:35 PM

Beautiful picture Cindy!!!!
I have not mailed my FQ yet. Maybe tomorrow.
I had my pre-op apt with my Primary care today. Down another 11 lbs since I was in there on the 27th of January, that's with my pretty shoe still on (ugly boot but you can see my newly pedicured toes on that foot)
Then had to go get blood drawn, that took and hour of mostly waiting.......
Ran to Smart and Final (ok, hobbled) to get ingredients for making my salsa (ate the last of it on my eggs this morning) Was totally wiped out, DH and daughter called me as I was driving home, wanted me to meet them for lunch. Fortunately got a Handicapped spot right in front of the restaurant and I rested while I waited for them to arrive. Saw my precious grand daughter during lunch. DH drove me home and brought in my few groceries. I didn't even have the energy to go anywhere else in the store, bought only veggies and a fresh pineapple. The foot is aching and I feel drained. Lunch helped a little, I had a grilled fish and a grilled shrimp taco no beans or rice. Did eat some chips and salsa though.
It is not hurting as bad as last week but with this cast I move very slowly and with difficulty. Keeps me from getting it really pissed off. Didn't make it for the chest x-ray he wanted or my new Handicap placard today. Maybe tomorrow. I am bummed that I won't be able to get my garden in before surgery. I am going to try and hit a garden center next week and maybe put some veggies in pots that I can transplant later.
For Easter, my mom is cooking a ham, I am bringing Black Eyed peas and we're having (hopefully) salad and broccoli to go with it. Told her I am not eating desert, she may have my sister-in-law bring something. My DD#1 will bring fresh picked strawberries. DD#2 and her DH will be there as well so I will get to see both grands. My husbands mother and husband will come over so the great grands will get to see the babies. Hoping my Son comes too. DD#3 is in Phoenix with her In-laws for Easter.

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!