Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
April 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize! >

April 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize!

April 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize!

Old 04-21-2012, 05:09 PM

I haven't sewn anything since I left Texas. My house is such a mess I would feel guilty doing anything other than housework but for some reason I just can't get myself to do it. I never get any further than cleaning the kitchen and laundry. I picked up 2 quilts that had been at the longarmer. They turned out great. Now I want to get the binding on them. I'll try to get some pictures after the bindings are on. I hope to get my mystery quilt put together soon so that I can show it to my mom when we go to Iowa to a wedding on May 5. Guess I'd better get going on it. We had a chilly but nice day today. I went to a luncheon hosted by our group leader for the Ireland trip. We got a lot of good info and it was good to see some of the faces I will be traveling with. Very yummy lunch too! My hubby, daughter and I went to Hu Hot for dinner. More yumminess! Have fun with the sew along tomorrow. I don't know if I will be able to join along or not but if I do I will work on bindings and the mystery quilt.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:06 PM

Greeting Ladies!!!

Irish, our dog (a collie), Commander, used to up-chuck once in a while. When we heard the sound, we all ran to find him and try and get him outside. Sometimes we made it - most of the time guess who got to clean? Then he got really sick. Vet finally said he had cancer in the nose area. We finally had to put him to sleep. We did dog sitting for 12 years - haven't had a dog in the house since. Sometimes I really miss them.

Pam - sounds like you need to take care of yourself. Housework is always here. I wish I had remembered that when DD was growing up. We have a Hu Hot now. Haven't eaten in it yet, only in the one in Fargo with DD.

Gayle - glad you got outside. Sounds like you are having some great weather. Enjoy.

Well, the "SMELL" has been found around here. For some reason it seemed like we had a musty smell coming from the washing machine. I though that something had gotten up and around the drum. The washer and dryer are in an entry by the garage, so as we came in, it smelled and I got really upset that my house smelled.

So since DH was gone last week, I just shut the door to the kitchen and left the smell out there. Well he couldn't stand it any more and moved the washer and dryer. Of course, then the floor had to be swept and washed. Still couldn't find the smell. Maybe it was the hosing unit. So he takes everything apart. I have canned goods on shelves above the washer. I said "do you think it's coming from the shelves?" So open the doors and smell - BAD!!! Box of chicken something must have sprung a leak. It was horrible. Took it outside to garbage right away. Then washed and organized the shelves. WOW - such a difference. So part of the spring cleaning is done and the shelves are looking pretty good.

Worked on a UFO the last 2 days. I am hand stitching the binding down and then I need to make a lable. So I will be able to sew with you ladies tomorrow. Will be putting the binding on another UFO - want to get both done this month!!!! Found more UFO's downstairs as I was organizing, so will have enough to work on for awhile.

Bedtime for Mom so must go. Have a great evening.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:27 AM

hey, everose! glad you're joining us! i'm here early. it's 6 a.m. est. those who know me well know i am a night owl, sooo, i didn't get up to see the sun rise, the sun is rising to see me! LOL. hope i last past 1pm so i can have some time sewing with irish, too. my first project is to figure out how the bobbin case goes back into my machine. i took it, and the metal plate out to clean the lint and dust. can't seem to get it back in correctly. anybody have the innovis 2000? i've looked at the manual, and i think i'm doing what it says-- but it still won't work. HELP!! i'm working on another mystery quillt that asks for 638 2.5" squares and 160 4.5" squares. then i had to sew 96 four patches of the 2.5" squares. have only 25 left to do, so want my NEW machine to work. barring that, i still have step 2 of the mc call's mystery quilt to re-cut. i didn't like my b & c fabrics together, so bought new fabric for one of them. that will keep me off the machine for a little while.
my heart goes out to all of you with family in crisis. it is such a hard aspect of life to accept. i believe that each of us comes with a purpose and a lesson. it is often difficult to accept that as a gift instead of a curse. children often teach us the value of life, the importance of love, and the triumph of faith.
pam h-- i hope you will join us. give the dust a chance to settle!
Old 04-22-2012, 08:24 AM

Wow, I just wrote a big long post that somehow didn't post...Grrr..

I won't be joining the quilt a long today as I am going to the Laker's game. Have fun though & get a lot done!

I went to a small quilt show yesterday- the Santa Clarita Valley Quilt Guild show. I saw some nice quilts & that always motivates me to get in gear! I like the small shows because I see things that are possible for me to do! Some of the things I've seen at the Road to CA show are so mind boggling & intricate- I wouldn't even know where to start!

My 1st grade great nephew from Ohio sent me his "Flat Stanley" that he made in class. He comes from a book about a boy who gets flattened by his bulliten board & has all of these adventures. So I get to take Flat Stanley all over & take pictures of what we do & write a few paragraphs & send him back. His first outing with me is going to the Laker's game! I think I need to make him a jersey to wear.

Pam, I am so sorry to hear about Ethan. It is just so sad to see children suffer.

Galye, when is your guild show? It sounds like you are getting along ok with the help of some wonderful people!
Old 04-22-2012, 09:21 AM

Om My Lord!! You ladies are just what I've needed for a very long time!! I've been so depressed and down you wouldn't believe! Well maybe you do. I know it's to late to start this month but if you don't mind I'd like to hang out in here and keep reading, probably from the beginning and see what all of you are doing, your stratagies and so on. I NEED help and encouragement and I think I just found it!! I have arthritis, Fibromyaglia, anxiety and panic attacks. I went to the Dr last on the 1st of April and weighed 262. So far as much as I walk and have cut down I've only lost 2 lbs to date! Yes thats depressing! but also I am 55 yrs old and it is much harder to lose than when you're younger. But it is even harder when you let yourself go for so long and don't care. Yep we do get in that mode. But the fibro and arthritis is so painful at times my legs hurt I want to cry. Then there is the depression, it's horrible! I don't mind sending in my FQ's, gladly!! I don't even mind not winning as long as this gives me the encouragement with other women in my shoes! Gee, I feel like I found a bunch of Sisters I never knew I had!! I'll be here hanging out until May 1st!! Thanks ladies!!
Old 04-22-2012, 09:33 AM

Welcome, Momma K. You've come to the right place. Just post often. We get out of something what we put in it, so posting is necessary. Lots of Fibromyalgia in this group so you are in good company.

Sunday quilters - I'm home and going right now to finish the binding on the Jewel Box. How are you early starters coming?
Old 04-22-2012, 09:54 AM

A big welcome to Momma K. We love having new people join in.
I am in my sewing room. Yay! Working on quilts. Yay! I have trimmed my 2 quilts that need binding. I put a new blade in my cutter for the occasion but I think it was a dud. I had to cut 4-8 times to get through a stretch. After I was finished I saw the damage it did to my mat. I don't think the self healing aspect of this is going to do the trick. Oh well. There certainly are worse things that can happen. Now to look up how to do 2 color binding. I think I bookmarked that a while back......
Old 04-22-2012, 11:24 AM

Maggie, our guild show is the 4, 5 & 6 of May. We do a show every other year. Not sure if I will get to go. My friends are usually pretty willing to "push" me around. Usually, though, I have been able to get in and out of the car easily, not so now. It will be held at the Ventura County Fairgroundsl, Seaside Park, in Ventura.

Welcome Momma K!!! Many of us are in the same boat. We have let things go way too long and are "paying" for our neglect of our bodies and health. I am coming to the realization the most of my trouble I have had the last 10 years is from the extra weight I have carried around. I have had 4 knee, 3 shoulder, 1 foot surgery (plus 2 others not weight related) and some trouble with my liver.

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!
Old 04-22-2012, 11:32 AM

We are doing the biggest loser at work too. People are complaining that the person who won last year is winning again this year. She is losing the same 20 pounds as last year. She gained it all back in about a month or 2 last year. There are a couple of people who only needed to lose a little 5 or 10 pounds. We were trying to figure out how to make it fair, but they aren't losing so I guess it doesn't matter. We have 3 more weeks. A couple of us are detrmined to pass up last years winner.
MommaK welcome. Yes I have found that this is a great group. There is lots of support and advice here. I know only a 2 pound loss is disappointing but anytime the scale goes down is good.
I am late getting started today but I finished a baby quilt for a shower today at 1:00AM. I threw it in the washing machine and dried it this morning. I took it out of the dryer and threw it into a gift bag just in time for the shower. It was a frog quilt. It turned out really cute. Everyone loved it.
I am going up to my sewing room now to start another baby quilt a friend is paying me to make. I have the fabric and it needs to be finished by May 18th. I am copying one we saw online. I will probably take a personal day sometime this week or next to work on it. I also need to finish the t-shirt quilt I have been working on. So I will be in my sewing room a lot.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:49 PM

THE JEWEL BOX IS DONE!!! I know I'm yelling, but this one was put away when I decided it wasn't big enough for two people and then life jumped in the way. Now it may be too big, but that's okay. Just a handwritten label and it can be delivered here in time to head for S Carolina, then Missouri.

As usual, the colors in the camera are off. The colors in the quilt are much more intense.
The picture of the back won't load. Oh, well, it's a black with multicolored circles. The FMQ was done with multicolored thread, too. [ATTACH=CONFIG]329830[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails jelwel-box-front.jpg